Swan casserole

Page 1 / 2
sooseque, Jun 5, 9:57am
Would anyone have a recipe for swan casserole please

terachaos, Jun 5, 10:54pm
Google 'cooking swan meat' heaps of ideas including swan burgers!

elliehen, Jun 6, 2:43am
There's probably a recipe in one of the old Aunt Daisy books.

sarahb5, Jun 6, 2:46am
You'd need a really, really big pot that's for sure .

beaker59, Jun 6, 3:00am
I've never cooked one myself but would be keen to try, I have heard its quite dark meat so just use a beef casserole recipe and see how it goes.

I would like to hear how you get on so report back please :)

mwood, Jun 6, 4:09am
No - just the deboned breast meat is used

carriebradshaw, Jun 6, 4:28am
Wow!did not know that you can eat swans.

lodgelocum, Jun 6, 4:43am
Yeah but would you really one too! I know I wouldn't

mwood, Jun 6, 4:45am
you need to rot them off a bit first - it is recommended hanging them by the neck until the body drops off then cutting out thebreast meat.

karenz, Jun 6, 5:25am
I have had them in a hangi on the Chatham Islands, they called them Illegal Tegal down there, very strong and dark meat.

carriebradshaw, Jun 6, 5:42am
lodgelocum-No I wouldnt,couldnt stand the thought!

sarahb5, Jun 6, 8:24am
It's called sarcasm .

sooseque, Jun 6, 9:12am
Thanks for your help, I had only googled swan casserole with no luck so will try suggestion in post # 2.Had the swan given to us by a 'duck' shooter

kuaka, Jun 6, 9:29am
Have you asked yourself why the "duck shooter" didn't want the swan!I had a friend who used to go duck shooting and he always reckoned he'd rather eat old leather boots than swan as the boots would be more tender and tastier.Long slow cooking I think might get a reasonable result, but personally I don't fancy it - I think I'd have to be pretty hungry to try it.

lisanorthshore, Jun 6, 9:35am
i think swans are meant to swim on ponds not be eaten - i couldnt imagine eating a swan casserole.

jenner4, Jun 6, 9:52am
just to beautiful to eat , and they get married so if you eat one it leaves [to ] the other one all on its own, just so sad

m41, Jun 6, 9:56am
doesn`t the super market sell cow ,sheep or chook down there, swans are beautiful why would anyone want to eat it ! Bambi i can understand but swan really ! and it would be so strong wild duck is potent enough .

shop-a-holic, Jun 6, 11:12am
Black Swans are Aussies. Not protected and supposed to be eaten.
LOL.
White Swans however, are highly protected and all belong to Her Majesty. Even the ones here.

tigerlilly16, Jun 6, 12:42pm
Why is a swan's life any more important than a duck or gooses! or a chicken for that matter! Because it 'looks beautiful'! Talk about the story of the ugly duckling. Except those ducklings that DONT grow up to be swans are fine to eat, cause they're not 'beautiful' what a load of emotive BS!

sooseque, Jun 6, 7:42pm
m41 little lambs are cute as are calves, chickens, piglets etc.Who thinks twice about eating them

herself, Jun 6, 8:25pm
mmmm. I love baby Lamb chops.Ostrich is delicious too but crocodile doesn't appeal.might have to give kangaroo a go one day.and Swan! .wouldn't have a problem with Swan either given the opportunity.

3336624, Jun 6, 9:13pm
Swans can live to a great aged we got a banded one that was banded 22 years ago, Jolly tough I would think, but the young ones are lovely eating. cooking slowly in a casserole. good luck.

narnas1, Jun 6, 11:55pm
Jointed Swan
1 swan1 - 2 onions
cloves,4 oz bacon (115g),
3 carrots,seasoned flour
3 small onions,1 tsp mixed herbs
1 glass port wine,cornflour
Skin bird and cut into joints, sprinkle with flour. Chop onions and fry with swan till browned off. Half cover with water, add sm onions studded with cloves, herbs, chopped carrots and bacon and port.
Cook 3 hours till done, season to taste and thicken with cornflour and water.

daleaway, Jun 7, 1:16am
Have you ever thought about why the Queen owns all the swans!

If you go back in English history you will find that royal land seizure usually annexed all the large sources of animal protein.

As the population of Britain grew, and the populations of wild native deer, pigs, and anything large and edible in the fields and forests shrunk, competition for a scarce animal protein resource got more fierce. They people who owned the armies spent a lot of energy fencing off the protein resources. The peasants were graciously allowed to eat turnips.

From the Norman conquest, when the Domesday Book listed all the pigs, cows etc in the country and who owned them, the royal family formed a data base of protein assets which they could then parcel out to their family and cronies.

Some protein sources needed 24/7 protection by armed guards. Some of my 13th century ancestors did this work in the Sargeantry of the Forest of Macclesfield, working for the Prince of Wales who was also the Earl of Chester. For catching a major poacher they were paid two shillings and a salmon (protein again), and were allowed to execute the crook and keep anything of his that they fancied, though certain specified items including bulls, boars and horses had to be handed over to the Prince.

Even membership of the Sargeantry was by royal favour and was hereditary. Those royals certainly knew how to lock up a resource.

Swans first got annexed in the 11th century, as the Norman invaders considered them a delicacy.They were the biggest piece of poultry around, and unlike chickens they fed themselves, which was handy. In 1378, a Keeper of the King's Swans was appointed. One or two concessions have been made since then: two medieval guilds - one is the Company of Dyers - are allowed to keep their own swans, but this too is policed.

And the Queen also still owns all "royal fish" - sturgeon, dolphins, porpoises and whales - caught in British waters. Basically, if it was big and a foodstuff, the royals wanted it for themselves.

By the way, when Gordon Brown was PM he published a Green Paper proposing abolishing the royal swan, porpoise etc monopolies. Royal family were not amused and he got abolished instead. Nothing much has changed in a millennium - he who has the gold still makes the rules.

mwood, Jun 7, 2:09am
eh ! - only the breast meat is edible - have you ever tried to dress or cook a black Swan !