Please help.why my $40 roast failed?

Page 1 / 2
stasi21, Jun 10, 6:58am
I tried to cook a 1.5kg sirloin roast a few days ago and it failed miserably and i would like help figuring out why. I don't mind spending a little bit of extra money every now and again on a good chunk of beef for a roast, but not to eat something that resembles an old leather boot.lol.

So as I said above, it was a 1.59kg sirloin roast, i worked out cooking times according to edmonds cookbook and cooked it for 60 minutes at 180C, hoping to achieve med-rare meat. When the 60 mins was up, i made a deep cut in the meat and checked it.it was slightly bloodier than i expected, but i know that meat keep cooking for a bit while resting, so took it out and popped it on a plate and covered with foil, while i did the roasties, so about 30-40 mins. Then went to serve the roast, and it was overcooked :-( completely and totally. not a slight tinge of pink anywhere.i was GUTTED. Spent alot of money on this roast and even splashed out on some duck fat to cook the roasties in (yum!), to completely ruin it! As far as I can tell, it just kept on cooking while it rested until completely over cooked, but that seems strange. I know that meat needs to be rested forroughly half its cooking time, has always worked for steak.

Please help me figure out what has gone wrong, so i dont destroy anotherroast. Many Thanks :-)

geldof, Jun 10, 7:01am
I would have been gutted too.
I have invested in a meat thermometer.
Takes the guess work away.

stasi21, Jun 10, 7:06am
yeah.keep meaning to.but that doesnt change the fact that it really seems that the meat was ruined during the resting process. It was almost the perfect doneness (sp!) when it came out of the oven, just slightly on the rare side, so i would think that the meat thermometer would have said that too.

tigerlilly16, Jun 10, 7:14am
My last attempt at beef roast turned out too well done too, but I was following the 'slow and low' method as it was a cheap tough cut so did for 21/2 hrs at 130 degrees, meant to be rare, but wasn't, I rested mine on top of the oven so warm but not hot, but maybe still too warm! Where did you rest yours! Mine was still tender, but not pink, which is what I had wanted.

stasi21, Jun 10, 7:17am
i just rested mine on the bench, away from any heat. I did warm the plate that i put it on in the oven briefly, but i doubt that would have made all the difference

pickles7, Jun 10, 7:30am
Same here.
Meat is way to expensive to ruin it by over cooking.
I find you get so much more, than when it is over cooked. .

valentino, Jun 10, 7:54am
When resting meats, I never put foil over my meats, this causes "Sweating" and yes a stewing method which you do not want.

Meats are usually rested for about 10 to 12 minutes only and if the need to cover then best to use a fine netting. Also if the meat is well browned then covering is not required. once a meat has started to shrink a fraction usually means that is getting cooked through but not quite fully in the middle but as you noted resting allows this to complete its full cooking cycle.

Also, insert a metal skewer if a little unsure and juices should just seep out slightly coloured, if nothing or a clearish liquid seeped out then it is overcooked, if it is still bloodied then the tip of skewer could feel a little bit coldish to touch and slightly tacky.

Hopes this helps.

deus701, Jun 10, 7:57am
Invest in a digital thermometer probe. Meat will continue cooking due to the internal temperature. You will find there are guidelines on when to take out your meat depending on the internal temperature (eg for medium rare, the internal temp should be 50, medium would be 55, well done is 60C ) *note these are just guidelines.

stasi21, Jun 10, 7:58am
thank you! It really does. could i ask though.if meat should be rested for only 10-12 mins, then how do i factor in roasties! I am not a fan of chucking them in with the roast, as i find they dont crisp up enough that way, and as i mentioned in my first post, i cook them in duck fat and on super high temp, which makes them super crisp and crunchy, so how do i cook my roasties and still keep my meat warm!.oh to be rich and have two ovens!

cookessentials, Jun 10, 8:37am
Personally, I wonder if it is with it beinga sirloin roast! Sirloin has the taste, but I always find it quite tough, no matter how well it has been cooked. I only ever do Scotch fillet in a large piece now because we dont have it very often and I would rather pay more and get a better meat all round.

poolgirl6, Jun 10, 8:38am
I "wrap" my roast meat in an old towel, and it keeps warm while the taties are cooking in the oven, Lately I have been par boiling the roast veges, draining them well and then into the very hot oven. This saves time.
Pop the meat and veges back in the oven while making the gravy.

beaker59, Jun 10, 10:18am
Some people can barely afford sirloin. Nice for some I guess.

shop-a-holic, Jun 10, 11:26am
Sirloin = Porterhouse
It runs on the opposite bone to where the filet is found.
A T-Bone steak has Sirloin on one side and a slice of eye filet on the other. Only fat on this cut, is on the outside edge of the Sirloin.

For perspective; it's the same as a rolled pork loin roast; or the large eye of middle bacon, or lamb loin chops. Always, the fat is on the outside and there is very little fat throughout the meat itself.
It's a very dry cut.
I'm completely surprised and have sympathy for your disappointment.

valentino, Jun 10, 8:27pm
Re veges part, Put the veges in with the meat, when the meat comes out, drain the liquid from the dish, ensure the veges are not sticking to dish - turn them over then back into the oven at a higher setting and crisp them a little - turning them after a wee while, sometimes I may slightly grill them a little if short of time. It is a bit of trial and error and depends on the oven especially the age where seals aren't what they were when new.

sarahb5, Jun 10, 9:42pm
Roast your veggies in a separate pan if you don't like them in with the meat but put them in the oven at the same time - even if you don't have two ovens I would be surprised if you didn't have two racks in your oven.Parboil your potatoes and whatever else you are roasting first (except pumpkin).Drain them, use the vegetable water to make your gravy, shake them so the outsides are a bit roughed up and then put them into a roasting pan with hot fat in it and put them on the rack below the meat pan.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 10:25pm
not at all. We have it occasionally. Not a nice attitude, try leaving it at the door.Those types of comments disappeared a few weeks ago, lets just try and keep it that way.

sarahb5, Jun 10, 10:37pm
Good luck with that!It has been quite pleasant here lately but there are still some who like to make snarky comments if you dare to not agree with them - there is room for all here and because we're all different we should all be allowed to have different opinions.That seems to be OK with some but not with others.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 10:55pm
I can buy a nice piece of scotch fillet roast for the same money

lurtz, Jun 10, 11:05pm
Agree. And when it comes to carefully cooked,and yet disappointing meat,I think that possibly depends on the quality of the actual animal. We rarely have red meat roasts now,however, when I do buy, I always purchase from the reliable Island Bay butchery, or Moore Wilsons.

issymae, Jun 10, 11:28pm
would an Oven Bag havemade a difference

cookessentials, Jun 10, 11:31pm
We are the same,although our really good butcher has sold out to Export meat Warehouse so i now buy mine from Moore Wilson exclusively.

gingercrush, Jun 10, 11:36pm
o.o I would never cook a roast at such a high temperature. And resting is slapping it on the chopping board for 10 minutes and serving. I think you've just overthinking things to be perfectly honest.

Regardless no matter what people try and pretend about getting their meat from better places etc. The quality of meat is useless if you insist on cooking super high and super short. Hell a cheap 15 dollar roast from the supermarket is still a very tasty piece of beef if cooked long and slow.

sarahb5, Jun 10, 11:58pm
180 degrees is perfectly fine for cooking a boneless roast like sirloin which is tender enough not to require long slow cooking - higher heat sears the outside and keeps the juices in.It's also the same temperature at which I roasted my leg of lamb on the bone yesterday - done to perfection but it was only rested for 10 minutes.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 1:36am
I disagree gingercrush. A scotch fillet roast is best done at a high temp to sear it and lock in the flavour. The size i do is not cooked for too long either. I dont tend to slap mine on a chopping board either! I place it in a warmed dish and cover lightly with foil and rest for up to 10 minutes. it turns our perfectly tender and moist. There is no "pretending" about where I prefer to buy my meat from and it is a personal choice.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 1:37am
Agree.and, the Scotch fillet I do is done at 220 just for the record!