Please help.why my $40 roast failed?

Page 2 / 2
sarahb5, Jun 11, 1:52am
Mine would be too - in fact, whatever I'm roasting I preheat the oven as hot as it will go and then when I actually put the meat in I turn it down.I did that with my lamb yesterday and once the outside skin/fat was nicely browned I covered it with foil to keep the heat in but stop it burning or hardening on the outside.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 1:53am
Yes, so do I and the butcher suggested this is the best way to do meat. it has never failed me.

beaker59, Jun 11, 2:05am
Hot and fast-long and slow are two completely different roast techniques both awesome in thier own right. The Sirloin was overcooked by the OP unfortunately and really there is no cure apart from remembering for next time. Personally scotch fillet is such a short cooking piece that its barely a roast I cook in the frypan thenin the oven for 10min on very high beforeresting But I only do that professionally I wouldn't do one at home as not really my thing.

Best rare roast we had lately is Rump but that was a whole one for a large dinner party bigger pieces give more leeway on cooking and resting time.

Big key though that hasn't yet been mentioned is when rare roasting start with the meat at room temp all the way through so take out of fridge in the morning and put somewhere covered on the bench safe from pets and flies.

sarahb5, Jun 11, 2:11am
I just copied it off my dad - he was a really good cook and his roasts were the bomb!

sarahb5, Jun 11, 2:12am
My roasts are usually at room temperature before roasting as I defrost in the microwave (not on, just left in there overnight away from cat, flies, etc.) overnight

lurtz, Jun 11, 2:29am
Long and slow is how I would cook tougher cuts of beef - gravy beef, blade, etc. Cheaper cuts make excellent casseroles and stews which need slower cooking.
Roasts vary in the length of time they need - according to the cut of meat.

After many years of cooking, I find that for a more expensive piece of beef, (or lamb for that matter), buying it from a reliable butcher or Moore Wilson's is simply prudent.It is a special occasion treat, and as it is expensive,I like to be certainthat the roast is going to turn out perfectly.

beaker59, Jun 11, 2:47am
Same here, probably the best use for a Microwave.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 2:48am
room temp meat goes without saying. Icy cold meat/hot pan should never meet ( excuse the pun!)

stasi21, Jun 11, 7:52am
ok.first off.thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.this board is invaluable for its advice.

Soo.where do i start! well.Im pretty sure that the problem was in the resting.i have read many articles that say to rest meat for half its cooking time, and i stillto an extent agree with that, but i think the MAIN problem was that i covered it in foil. it pretty much steamed it.

Im happy with the temperature and length of time that i cooked it. Definitely don't think that particular cut of roast should be cooked at long and slow temp. Some posters mentioned that perhaps it was the cut of meat that made the roast tough.my problem with the roast was the fact that it had absolutely no pink on the inside, therefore waaaay overcooked.

As for the method of my roasties.i really don't want to change it.I parboiled the potatoes, then fluffed them up in the pot meanwhile heating the duckfat up in the the roasting pan until hot. Popped the roasties in there and sprinkled with flour, paprika, slat and pepper and gently stirred to coat in the fat and spices. Then cooked on grill and at the highest temperature that oven would go, turning frequently, until crisp and brown all over.SO DELICIOUS!

I hope others will find this thread as helpful as what i have :-)

stasi21, Jun 11, 7:53am
oops forgot to add.the meat was definitely room temp prior to cooking :-)

pickles7, Jun 11, 7:57am
lol. no attitude here then.

sarahb5, Jun 11, 8:11am
Yes I think it was a mistake covering it with foil while resting, but also the length of time it was rested for.Apart from anything else, wasn't it cold by the time it was on your plate!I've never seen anything anywhere about resting a roast for half it's cooking time - I cooked my leg of lamb for 2 1/2 hours yesterday, it would've been stone cold and us fast asleep if I'd left it to rest for 1 1/4 hours!You could easily cook potatoes in a separate pan at the same time as your meat so that they are just crisping up under the grill while the meat is resting, although I've never found it necessary to do that.I think roast potatoes, in order to be crispy, definitely take a least an hour in the oven after parboiling.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 8:43am
I cover mine with foil when I rest it, with now problem. Just make sure you dont wrap it tight, I let one side up to let steam out. I steam my potatoes and kumara until you can just put a knife into them, then dry in pan and into the hot fat just as you do.it makes for lovely crispy outside and moist insides.