Carrots,why does this happen

mistywood, Jun 2, 12:40am
I used to be able to buy carrots & they would keep fine for ages, but now after just a couple of days they turn black.i bought some on Wednesday & then last night when I went to use them they were black & slimy.Does anyone know what cuses this, as it seems to happen a lot!

elliehen, Jun 2, 12:56am
I think they wash them in a chemical concoction.I find if I sniff the bags of carrots, I can choose which brand will last without getting slimy ;)

elsielaurie1, Jun 2, 1:52am
Take them out of the bag you've bought them in, give them a good wash and dry then restore in a new bag.

nauru, Jun 2, 5:27am
I never have that problem. I keep them in a loose bag on the bottom shelf of the fridge and they keep quite well like that. I only wash them as I want to use them too.

gardie, Jun 2, 6:32am
Make sure they haven't gotten too cold/frozen right down the bottom of the fridge too.I personally never buy bags - only loose and don't have this problem.I think they put the older carrots into bags because they go quicker - more convenient is my guess.

cookessentials, Jun 2, 6:37am
I now buy organic carrots which taste so much nicer. I have grown carrots before but they are a bit of work, so they are one thing I buy now.

cookessentials, Jun 2, 6:43am

cookessentials, Jun 2, 6:47am
A few good reasons why and some ideas hre too.

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/archive/index.php/t-25848.html

ace441, Jun 2, 10:00am
Use to laugh at my nan for doing this BUT it works.I wrap each carrot, individually in paper towels - in fact do that with everything, tomatoes, courgettes, capsicum etc and they keep for absolutely ages - it is the moisture that rots them so the paper towles keep them dry and rot-free.

cookessentials, Jun 2, 10:38am
Well,that's not so silly at all. If you look at the link to the carrot info ( first link I gave) they show how to keep them in sand.thsi was done in the war years and alot of fruit and vegetables were stored like this using various methods to preserve them for as long as you could.

cookessentials, Jun 2, 10:42am
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/89/89-5/Gail_Reynolds.html
this tells you how to preserve fruits and vegetables like they did at the turn of the century