Is it just me? my carrots are going off!

dinkypinky, Mar 19, 4:15am
Whether I keep them in a brown paper bag or out of the bag - they seem to go off (and gain black spots) really quickly now days! Is it just me? !

I use a vege drawer in the fridge compartment.

dlmckay, Mar 19, 4:24am
An open ziplock bag will keep them fresher.

dibble35, Mar 19, 4:41am
Mine dont go off very quickly, i just keep them in a plastic bag they came in from the supermarket. They last weeks.

rainrain1, Mar 19, 5:36am
I noticed that too when I was buying carrots, they don't keep well, go soft and get the black spots. I don't reckon they're fresh, probably pulled and stored before they hit the shops. we have our own carrots growing right now, thank goodness

nauru, Mar 19, 7:54am
I keep mine in a tupperware fridge smart box, they keep fresh for ages. I don't buy from the SM either, I buy from my local market, much fresher than the SM.

lythande1, Mar 19, 6:33pm
Always kept them in a tupperware container (not sealed) in fridge. Last ages.

jonnythecat, Mar 19, 7:22pm
I try to buy dry ones from the supermarket, not the wet ones they spray to make them look fresher. I only buy 5 or 6 at a time, enough for us for a week and keep them in the dark, cool pantry.

sophie98, Mar 19, 8:25pm
I agree they don't last like they used to. I think they are kept in cold store to long. Used to last for weeks in the fridge not now you are lucky to get a week out of most of them.

kaddiew, Mar 19, 8:35pm
I bought some loose ones from the supemarket a couple of days ago, and have just binned them. The were firm and looked "fresh" but had a peculiar taste, hard to describe, but couldn't eat them.

annies3, Mar 19, 9:55pm
Ones kept in the vege bin in the fridge keep better than the ones in other parts of the fridge, but ours are straight out of the garden, but since we don't pull them every time we want them we usually get a weeks worth at a time, or more.

strathview, Mar 20, 6:27am
I'm growing my own carrots now as I hate the taste of brought carrots. It has something to do with what they are washed with.

rainrain1, Mar 20, 9:34am
Love it haha

taurus2005, Mar 21, 1:54am
In a plastic bag with no air getting and in the fridge. Keeps for weeks, I do this with all my veges.

buzzy110, Oct 13, 11:41am
I am finding similar. I presume it is caused by all the rain that we have experienced during the growing season and, as others have said, we are getting carrots that have been kept for ages in cool storage. You can always tell if they have been kept in the cool store because the raw carrots are rather tasteless.