Gluten free scone with fibre-HELP plz

Page 1 / 2
bob955, May 22, 9:14pm
Standard flour=3.1g fibre
Simple GF Baking mix=1.9g fibre

What other flours can I add to increase the fibre!Will need full scone recipe, as more liquid AND baking powder needed with most GF flours.Have buckwheat and quinoa flours in the pantry. Used to use wholemeal flour, so this GF lark is a real nuisance lol.

Thanks.

geldof, May 22, 10:01pm
Why not use part baking mix and add in some buckwheat and brown rice flours.

I have found you just have to experiment and that everyone has a different view of what is successful.

I don't use pre mixes.Find it easier to make up my own blends.

bob955, May 22, 10:10pm
Oh I have, I have :-(
So many unfit scones to offer visitors.I just know someone will have a recipe that actually makes a reasonable one.Was never a big scone maker, and just want something remotely healthy (but stodgy) to add variety to fruit and veges.The GF bread is so expensive for this limited budget.I sometimes pay $5 for a pavilion loaf from the factory, but they've shifted further away from me, and I have anxiety bout travelling too far unnecessarily and very little freezer space to store a pile of them.

bob955, May 22, 10:13pm
Have found rice flour (and rice, whether brown or white) not that wonderful to my digestion- hence wanting to move away from too much rice based stuff.

geldof, May 22, 10:19pm
Oh!Yes it is frustrating.And so expensive if you make mistakes.I have to admit I have LOTS of GF breadcrumbs in my freezer from my unsuccessful experimenting.Don't tend to make scones.I'm experimenting with wraps at the moment.
I belong to a FB group, so will ask for their ideas for you.
High fibre, no rice.

pommyjohn1, May 22, 10:42pm
Why not mix in some LSA

bob955, May 22, 10:50pm
Thanks geldof :-)I have been eating my mistakes but may keep future ones for breadcrumbs too hehe.
LSA is a good idea too pommyjohn1.That will add some body and fibre.Will need the exact recipe though.

bob955, May 23, 9:14am
bump for the nighttime

rachel27, May 23, 4:01pm
I use a mix of 1/3 rice flour and 2/3 spelt flour usually end up with light scones and an extra t spoon of baking powder

frances1266, May 23, 6:59pm
Spelt isnt gluten free.

earthangel4, May 23, 8:29pm
I use bakels flour,and add LSA,as I have bowel problems with my ceoliac.
They come out nice and fluffy.

seano7, May 24, 4:04am
do not use lsa linseed soy almonds if your coeliac or gf stay away from lsa. you can purchase lupin flour and that is packed with omega 3 minerals and all things good.

geldof, May 24, 4:06am
My understanding is that LSA is linseed SUNFLOWER and almond and is fine for GF.

bob955, May 24, 4:37am
Well I keep hearing good things about Bakels flour, so will get that instead of Simple next time.Yep, LSA is fine to use.Will check out the fibre content of lupin flour.
Earthangel4, could you please write me the recipe for the scones- as quantities of every ingredient is very important to me- would really appreciate that, thanks :-)
Thanks for all replies with suggestions- giving me something to experiment with later.

Still hanging out for an exact recipe for a scone with much more fibre than the corn and white rice flours give, that also rises up well.It MUST be possible.

geldof, May 24, 5:04am
Bob955, the friend I was going to ask has been in hospital.When things settle I will ask him.

earthangel4, May 24, 11:26am
It is Melfords recipeI will bump it up for you,I just add LSA in the mix

earthangel4, May 24, 8:57pm
Melfords scone recipe is on page 9,have just had alook for you,and will bump up again.

bob955, May 24, 11:48pm
thanks for the reference earthangel4 :-)how much lsa do you use as the substitute! i'll get it right first time, by knowing that. after that I'll tinker with it a little more. LSA's on my shopping list for next week- cant wait to try the recipe.
thanks so much for searching it out for me- that was so helpful of you.

accroul, May 25, 12:01am
What about using Inulin (probably on the top shelf above the flours) or Fibresure (most likely beside the Metamucil)

bob955, May 25, 12:56am
never heard of them! but great idea. couple of Tblsp per cup flour, do you think !

earthangel4, May 25, 2:12am
No Problem,I use 2 tablespoons.

very_hotpants, May 25, 5:41am
Brown Rice flour intends to make them a bit chewy

pom-pom, Jun 14, 9:10am
I'm really interested in the background to this comment. What is wrong with LSA for a coeliac! We were specifically advised to add it to baking for my daughter by the hospital dietician! What information do you have! I have googled lsa and coeliac and everything that comes up is positive. if you are going to make statements like this, please back it up!

geldof, Jun 14, 9:22am
Pom-pom. seano7 is also saying it's soy, when it is actually sunflower.Maybe he is thinking of something else!

auzzi, Jun 16, 5:06am
GF flours and starches are dryer than wheat starch, so you may need more liquid in your scone mix.

Psyllium husks can be added to the coeliac diet to increase the soluble dietary fibre requirement. Add about 1 tablespoon per cup GF flour [~ 2 in a scone mix]. It has the added advantage, also, of being a binder. These husks produce a gelling agent [mucilage] which work well in GF baking.

GF flours from grains have more fibre than starch. Commercial mixes usually contain starch and rice flour - barely any fibre.

I use a mix of sorghum flour [12% fibre], starch [0% fibre] , soy flour [12% fibre] and maize flour [16% fibre] for most things and leave the light-fibre stuff for cake baking.

Fibresure contains inulin fibre. Metamucil contains psyllium. Both are soluble fibres. Psyllium husks are considerably less expensive than both.