Making veges tastier?

zharacadz, Mar 17, 9:18am
apart from a cheese sauce what are other things I can do to make veges more tasty! Veges like beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower!

kassie48, Mar 17, 9:21am
I use sugar instead of salt when cooking corn, peas, carrots & beans.

bikernutrr, Mar 17, 9:24am
peanut sauce.

wrigglez, Mar 17, 9:28am
Cook carrots with a little honey and soy sauce

wrigglez, Mar 17, 9:31am
I forgot to say honey and soy sauce added to the water

elliehen, Mar 17, 9:38am
Some ideas from fisher's website :)

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/dressings2.htm

zharacadz, Mar 17, 9:42am
Why do people blanch! My BIL cooks beans lightly (not sure how) and puts some flavor on them, I am thinking soya!

elliehen, Mar 17, 10:01am
Blanching is done before freezing vegetables, but is not absolutely necessary.

Green beans are best steamed until they are just tender.A vinaigrette goes well with beans.

ace441, Mar 18, 1:03am
I boil a whole cauli with as much of the 'stalk' removed as possible - without cutting the cauli apart. When tender I drain. place in a shallow dish, sprinkle with grated cheese and grill. I do this with broccoli as weel - hubby won't eat cheese sauce but will eat the melted cheese.

samanya, Mar 18, 2:40am
See if you can get hold of a copy of Digby Law's 'Vegetable Cookbook' - it's full of wonderful ideas.

mackenzie2, Mar 18, 3:08am
Burnt butter is devine with beans asparagus, potato's etc

nunesy, Mar 18, 6:18am
With beans or peas, a little bit of butter and a few capers is amazing - even if capers aren't your thing :-)Also, a tiny bit of peanut oil or sesame oil, or toasted sesame seeds added to beans or brocolli is also great.

roundtop, Mar 18, 7:16am
I always always put lemon juice on my cook brocolli!

esther-anne, Mar 18, 8:44am
Because I can't be bothered with too much adornment with veges (too many years cooking I reckon)I just do beans lightly steamed until tender, sprinkle of salr, freshly ground black or white pepper,squeeze of lemon or lime, small knob of butter and toasted almonds.Sprouts (which we love) I cook with a pinch of salt,a good pinch of brown sugar and when drained a knob of butter.Carrots I always add a pinch of brown sugar to the cooking water and butter when drained - gives a glaze without honey which I don't like.Cauli and broccoli - cheese sauce if I feel like making it, otherwise a handful of parmesan with a knob of butter and a shake of pepper!Potatoes if I am mashing them I always add a touch of cream, dollop of sour cream and pepper.

You will all deduce that we like black or white pepper and butter with all veges lol!

Waits for the health critics to come along and knock the butter allowance!Probably the pepper too-bad for the heart I understand!Lol!

jenner4, Mar 18, 8:44am
Black pepper and lemon juice on green beans, steamed cabbage when cook add knob butter and 1/2 tesp curry powder , garlic butter on carrots