Transferring hot chutney into jars

chchpukeko, Apr 3, 6:49am
I'm just in the process of making 7 litres of Sri Lankan Chutney and I always make a huge mess when I try to transfer it into the jars.

Has anyone got a tip on how to do this without covering the benchtop in chutney at the same time or spilling it all down the outside of the jars!

cottagerose, Apr 3, 6:54am
I dip a jug with a good lip/pourer into my chutney and pour into the jars. No mess.

maximus44, Apr 3, 6:55am
Do you use a jug! That is what I do and I remember my mother doing the same. Or another thought - what about a ladle! Hope you work something out.

lythande1, Apr 3, 6:56am
Soup ladle.

245sam, Apr 3, 6:56am
chchpukeko, do you have a preserving/jam-making funnellike/similar to this one:#463168818 !:-))

chchpukeko, Apr 3, 7:23am
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have tried using a ladle before, but it dribbled everywhere and was usually wide to neatly tip into the jars.
The jugs I have don't have good lips on them, but I will have another go using one and see if I have better luck this time.
Sadly I don't have a preserving funnel so I might have to invest in one.

schnauzer11, Apr 3, 7:26am
Just buy a cheapo larger funnel,and saw the stem off,to leave an aperture to suit the size of your jars.

winnie231, Apr 3, 7:40am
This is what I did too. Works brilliantly :)
Chchpukeko - please share your chutney recipe with us. I'll bump the chutney thread up as it would be great if you added it there.

cookessentials, Apr 3, 8:05am
A preserving funnel

lilyfield, Apr 3, 8:11am
half a milkbottle , opening into jar, until you have your preserving funnel.

chchpukeko, Apr 3, 8:21am
Done!

Great idea about the milk bottle in the meantime.I'm still waiting for it to reach the right consistancy at the moment so I have time to make this.

baccini, Apr 4, 8:53am
Hi. Buy a wide mouthed funnel - I'm thinking of getting one - saves the risk of getting burnt and not messy either! Check out this listing: 463168818

bernice1, Apr 4, 10:01am
In desperation (I am in a motorhome) I made a funnel from a 1 litre juice bottle that is made of very stiff plastic, can't remmeber the brand, Keri I think, cut the top off and turn upside down.Works so well that have washed and kept it.

duckmoon, Apr 4, 10:17am
I use my measuring jug. it is a 1cup measuring jug, so when fulll holds just a bit more than a 300ml jar. and it pours well.

best thing is it has a handle which is a "hook" (rather than a semi circle) which means I can hook it over the side of the pot, and don't have to wonder where to set it down

makespacenow, Apr 4, 10:36am
I got a 'jam' ladle.got a narrow lip thing on one side just like a jug.
not sure where I got it from though so I guess not much help
but sometimes I use a pyrex glass jug.