? regarding sterilising jars

Page 1 / 2
birdie211, Mar 10, 12:27am
Hay I am just making a mixture of Tomato Relish that a work mate gave me a taste of at work, so am trying to make relish for the first time.I have kept my old jam jars and pasta sauce jars etc, but how do I sterlise them, can the lids go in the oven to, just feels like the lids have soft bits in them and would melt, any ideas be great thanks..

sdhall73, Mar 10, 12:32am
Hi, No not the lids..Just give the lids a thorough washing or even boil then for a few minutes..

cookessentials, Mar 10, 12:34am
I wash well in hot soapy water, rinse well in hot water and dry them. Then I put the jars on a tray in the oven on low ( about 120C) until i am ready to use them. I use the Waugh cellophane discs which you wet in a saucer of water and place of the jar and secure with a rubber band. As the jar cools, the cellophane cover goes nice and tight, creating a good seal. i then pop the lid on over the top of that.

birdie211, Mar 10, 12:36am
oh great thanks, think I can tackle that, where abouts do I buy those cellophone discs from cookessentials, also I put the relish in while both the jar and the relish is hot ah

buzzy110, Mar 10, 2:35am
My mother, who produced a 'factory load' of preserves every year always boiled her jars and put the lids into another pot of simmering water. I do the same.

The instructions for sterilising the rubberised discs on the packets they come in are:

"Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside". Therefore you can use the lids of your saved jars. Ensure that they have not developed any rust spots or are otherwise damaged and are clean then just set them in a pot to simmer until you need them.

The cellophane discs are handy for those jars without lids.

shop-a-holic, Mar 10, 2:53am
I cheat and use those Italian Quatro Staggioni jars, my F&P Dishdrawer to sterilise.

lythande1, Mar 10, 2:55am
Go to Hauraki Home Brew online and buy some sterilising solution.
1tsp to 1litre water. Dump everything in, let it sit for 20 minutes. Drain, pour in your relish, jam, whatever you want to preserve. Voila. No worries about what kind of containers, no fuss and NO MOULD or germs.

cookessentials, Mar 10, 2:56am
Most supermarkets have them...try new World. They are in a green and red bag. I have found them here online and you can buy direct.
http://www.waughbands.co.nz/products/jamcovers/

birdie211, Mar 10, 6:55am
thanks heaps, its almost done, have the jars in the oven, lids have been boiled and even put me some cellophone discs, preserver in one day lol.Smells so so yummy and have had a cheats taste, tastes really yummy, if anyone wants the recipe let me know.

senj, Mar 10, 6:59am
you guys are too fussy, a good wash is essential but the lids only need to be immersed in boiling water until neededand when they seal they will pop down, in saying that cleanliness is most important.

pickles7, Mar 10, 7:03am
I have done that for my vinegar and wine bottles,
I usually put my jars in the oven wet, and when they are dry, fill them.

Cover pickles when the jars are cold, saves rusty lids caused by the condensation. A square of glad wrap between the jar and the lid is ok if you have not got the cellophane. I discard that when I start to use the pickle..

mas45, Mar 10, 8:18am
I just put all the old jam jars, pickled onion jars etc in a pot full of water with their lids and boil. I put them on 1/2 hr before the relish or jam etc is ready and just fish them out with tongs and to fill the jars I have an old funnel that I cut the bottom off of and use that so I don't spill anything and just screw the lids down tight straight away and during the night you can hear the lids popping down as they seal themselves. Cheers Matt

birdie211, Mar 10, 8:32am
well they are all bottled got 7 all together, will try all the other tricks next time, thanks heaps

oopie, Mar 10, 8:59pm
Just remember, hot jam, pickle etc. in hot jars so they don't crack!

sp0_0kie, Mar 10, 9:28pm
ooh hoping you are still all around :)

I have gotten myself some bottles this time, as watching River Cottage dude he uses these all the time BUT he says once you fill you seal, tip it upside down & the heat from the mixture sterilises the inside.

So would that mean he does not sterilise it at all? always confuses me when he says that lol

sp0_0kie, Mar 10, 9:29pm
yes please :)

buzzy110, Mar 10, 10:31pm
I am not sure but take it from me and everyone else who puts food away in bottles for long term storage - DO NOT even think about NOT sterilising your containers and lids. It is that simple. However you choose to do it is irrelevant, what is important is that you maintain excellent standards of hygiene so as not to poison future consumers of your goods and also that you do not waste time, effort, money and precious ingredients making something that goes off.

I personally wouldn't turn a jar upside down until I knew the seal had been perfectly formed so that it didn't leak. Remember this guy is a professional. He knows what he is doing. If you require more information about his methods I'm sure he has them in his cook books that are produced with each series. Your library would be the best place to go for one.

cookessentials, Mar 10, 10:42pm
Well done, i am sure it will be lovely.

birdie211, Mar 11, 12:27am
Hay I am just making a mixture of Tomato Relish that a work mate gave me a taste of at work, so am trying to make relish for the first time.I have kept my old jam jars and pasta sauce jars etc, but how do I sterlise them, can the lids go in the oven to, just feels like the lids have soft bits in them and would melt, any ideas be great thanks.

buzzy110, Mar 11, 2:35am
My mother, who produced a 'factory load' of preserves every year always boiled her jars and put the lids into another pot of simmering water. I do the same.

The instructions for sterilising the rubberised discs on the packets they come in are:

"Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside". Therefore you can use the lids of your saved jars. Ensure that they have not developed any rust spots or are otherwise damaged and are clean then just set them in a pot to simmer until you need them.

The cellophane discs are handy for those jars without lids.

sp0_0kie, Mar 11, 2:40am
thanks buzzy,

yeah I went looking on his river cottage website but didnt find what I was looking for so will do it how it is usually done :)

cookessentials, Mar 11, 2:56am
Most supermarkets have them.try new World. They are in a green and red bag. I have found them here online and you can buy direct.
http://www.waughbands.co.nz/products/jamcovers/

hazedaze, Mar 11, 6:13am
If I can cut any corner, I will.Wash your jars well, rinse, add a couple of inches of water and put in the microwave for a few minutes.When you take them out, swirl the water around the jars and tip into a container with your seals in.That too will really sterilise the seals and the neck of the funnel etc..Never had a problem!

pickles7, Mar 11, 7:03am
I have done that for my vinegar and wine bottles,
I usually put my jars in the oven wet, and when they are dry, fill them.

Cover pickles when the jars are cold, saves rusty lids caused by the condensation. A square of glad wrap between the jar and the lid is ok if you have not got the cellophane. I discard that when I start to use the pickle.

Jam, I put the lid on while hot, and they usually seal, that way the jam will last for years.

birdie211, Mar 11, 7:27am
TOMATO CHUTNEY- Micheles Nanas

Cut up 1 and a half kgs of tomatoes and 7 medium brown onions sprinkle with 2 desert spoons of salt and leave overnight.

Add 1 cup of brown vinegar
2tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1 and 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 desert spoon of salt
500g brown sugar

Boil together covered for 1 and 1/4 hours then thicken with 2 table spoons of cornflour 1/2 tsp mustard mixed together with a cup of brown vinger, boil uncovered for ten minutes pour into jars, cover eat once chilled.YUMMY