? regarding sterilising jars

Page 2 / 2
birdie211, Mar 11, 7:29am
One thing is that it is a runny relish, work mate said it always is, is there anyway to make it thicker, cause really there is not much liquid oh and I got 9 jars out of it

kiwigoldie, Mar 11, 7:34am
ditto...couldnt have said it better myself :)

elliehen, Mar 11, 7:36am
birdie211, Did you pour away the liquid that the salt drew off from the tomatoes and onions before you added the other ingredients?That salty liquid should be thrown away.If you've incorporated that into the relish, not only will it be runny, but it will be over-salty too.

mas45, Mar 11, 8:18am
I just put all the old jam jars, pickled onion jars etc in a pot full of water with their lids and boil. I put them on 1/2 hr before the relish or jam etc is ready and just fish them out with tongs and to fill the jars I have an old funnel that I cut the bottom off of and use that so I don't spill anything and just screw the lids down tight straight away and during the night you can hear the lids popping down as they seal themselves. Cheers Matt

birdie211, Mar 11, 9:39am
oh no, I didnt do that, followed recipe word for word lol, but what you said makes sense.Cause when I put it all in the pot, salted and left over night there was a heaps of liquid in the morning, just thought that was the norm lol,deff doesnt taste salty.Will try that next time, and if it works will also meantion to work mate, dont want to suggest improving her family recipe until well tried lol.Thanks

oopie, Mar 11, 8:59pm
Just remember, hot jam, pickle etc. in hot jars so they don't crack!

sp0_0kie, Mar 11, 9:28pm
ooh hoping you are still all around :)

I have gotten myself some bottles this time, as watching River Cottage dude he uses these all the time BUT he says once you fill you seal, tip it upside down & the heat from the mixture sterilises the inside.

So would that mean he does not sterilise it at all! always confuses me when he says that lol

buzzy110, Mar 11, 10:31pm
I am not sure but take it from me and everyone else who puts food away in bottles for long term storage - DO NOT even think about NOT sterilising your containers and lids. It is that simple. However you choose to do it is irrelevant, what is important is that you maintain excellent standards of hygiene so as not to poison future consumers of your goods and also that you do not waste time, effort, money and precious ingredients making something that goes off.

I personally wouldn't turn a jar upside down until I knew the seal had been perfectly formed so that it didn't leak. Remember this guy is a professional. He knows what he is doing. If you require more information about his methods I'm sure he has them in his cook books that are produced with each series. Your library would be the best place to go for one.

hazedaze, Mar 12, 6:13am
If I can cut any corner, I will.Wash your jars well, rinse, add a couple of inches of water and put in the microwave for a few minutes.When you take them out, swirl the water around the jars and tip into a container with your seals in.That too will really sterilise the seals and the neck of the funnel etc.Never had a problem!

kiwigoldie, Mar 12, 7:34am
ditto.couldnt have said it better myself :)

elliehen, Mar 12, 7:36am
birdie211, Did you pour away the liquid that the salt drew off from the tomatoes and onions before you added the other ingredients!That salty liquid should be thrown away.If you've incorporated that into the relish, not only will it be runny, but it will be over-salty too.