fantastic, thanks duckmoon

duckmoon, Apr 30, 12:13am
my pleasure

jenner4, Apr 30, 2:20am
put them in the dishwasher

doman1, Apr 30, 2:23am
i use cooking oil or spray on oil, leave overnight and wash

cottagerose, Apr 30, 3:10am
soak in water in sink then go back a few hours later, pull off paper then remove sticky glue with de solv it. (this can be bought at the supermarket)
I do this all the time

lakestar, Apr 30, 4:41am
none of these work really well for hard stuck on labels.

Boil the kettle and pour the water straight into the jars. I put 5 jars on a dinner plate and pour the water a bit at a time into each jar [ so they do not crack]. this melts the glue and when you see the corner starting to lift, pick up a jar with a tea towel, tip the water into your cup of tea or plugged sink and slowly peel the label off hopefully whole.

meetee, Apr 30, 4:47am
I used to use de solv it but was pretty pricey. Then I found that if I soaked then in hot water and scraped the paper off I could get the gum off with Jiff on a kitchen scrub.

jen211, Apr 30, 5:45am
Thanks heaps everyone. I was too lazy to go and get some de solv from the supermarket. Had quite a few jars. I expereimented with the rest of the comments and I found the only way I could get the stubbon ones off was to soak in hot soapy water and scrape the labels off with a sharp knife.
I appreciate all your help.......thank you.
It is great that so many people are willing to share their knowlege on the Recipes Tread Board.

anne1955, May 1, 12:07am
I bring brown cheap vinegar to the boil in big pot and turn off and put jars into soak works a treat and when done I keep vinegar..maked not for hum use :) and use it again each time I need to do some...some company's labels come off easy some not so when you have nutted out which brands are which after a soak in sink do that...I use a green scrubber if any glue is left hope this helps Anne

lindylambchops1, May 1, 12:56am
I soak the jars well in hot water.Then scrape off label using a knife!Sometimes have to rub with scourer with a few drops of eucalyptus on if they are real stubborn.