My feijoa jelly hasn't set. I've poured it into

mctavi, May 9, 7:55am
jars already! I've made a big lot of feijoa jelly, it had been boiling for the appropriate amount of time, looked fine, and I've put it into jars.It's too runny though unfortunately - can I re-boil it to thicken and put it into newly steralised jars! Thanks!

olwen, May 9, 8:41am
How long has it been in the jars!If it is still runny after a day or two you should be fine boiling it some more.Perhaps add jam setting mix or lemon juice and wash and resterilise the jars.

How did you detemine that it "looked fine"Did you test for setting before bottling!

elliehen, May 9, 9:11am
Wait 24 hours and then if you can hold a jar upside down for a moment or two without it pouring out, it'll be fine.

I made one batch in a hurry and thought I hadn't tested it properly (a little on a chilled saucer which will 'wrinkle' across the plate when you tip it).I went to reboil it next day and discovered that it had set quite nicely.

janny3, May 9, 10:57am
No problem re cooking.As someone said, adding in some lemon juice or setting mix, certo, or pectin should help. My mum never had a nearby store so if she didn't have the above, would recook using apple peelings and lemon juice to help it set.http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,40534,51117,quote=1

dreamers, May 9, 8:49pm
I had to boil mine longer than the required time,because I used a thermometer and it had not reached setting point in the time stated.

makespacenow, May 9, 8:53pm
Add some pectinstock rather than more sugar. Search for recipes on the left.

willyow, May 9, 9:54pm
Don't use meyer lemons - they are not a true lemon and have little pectin in them -

elliehen, May 9, 10:05pm
I don't use any lemon in my Feijoa jelly recipe - although I do in Quince.

I tend to think the main reason for jelly not setting is the use of over-ripe fruit.I choose very firm fruit, including lots of small feijoas, all with skins on.

beaker59, May 10, 12:59am
Me too, I also add a couple of green apples to a large pot of feijoa and only add minimal sugar(2 cups to about 4 Kg Jam) and always get a good set to my Jam. I don't do Feijoa jelly as not really to my taste.