How long for guava jelly to set - anyone?!

darlingmole, Apr 23, 12:48am
I've been boiling my guava jelly for an hour and a half and it's STILL not set!!! I'm making this for the first time so have no idea.I cooked the guava's until mushy in 1/2 C water (so it didn't catch or burn) and added 3 large cooking apples all grated up with this; strained over night which produced 14 Cups of liquid.Added 3/4 C of sugar for each cup of liquid and have even added another cup of sugar to see if this helps it set and STILL no joy ... please can someone advise me what to do?Many thanks ...

creeky1, Apr 23, 1:15am
have you got any jam set? That will help.

claire30, Apr 23, 2:17am
Jelly should be made in small quantities preferably.I add the juice of a lemon or two and it reaches setting stage in 20 mins.

margyr, Apr 23, 3:02am
my sister makes it and hers is 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of juice, she said it takes ages to boil, turns a lovely red colour when ready. way more than 20 mins of boiling.

nzbadger, Apr 23, 4:50am
Have you been testing it on a cold saucer in the freezer every few mins?

darlingmole, Apr 23, 6:23am
Well I've done it now.Unfortunately it has some frothy muck on the top of the jelly/jam in the jars (??? no idea why?) and it's quite a sticky almost toffee consistency now ... probably over cooked it!!!and yes nzbadger I kept doing the freezer test.The best part is it taste lovely - and will be lovelier still when served with creamy blue cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 23, 6:32am
I made peach jam once. Same problem - a lack of pectin so the juice won't gel at temperature, and added sugar converts it to toffee. It made fantastic toffee, but we bent a lot of spoons eating it all up! ( It was wonderful gently reheated and drizzled over steamed pud and ice cream!!)

pickles7, Apr 23, 6:51am
Nice topping, blue cheese yummmmmmmy. pass on the grapes, for the jelly . Jam or jelly needs to boil hard, after the sugar has dissolved. I say it is a whole process, I just set myself on auto.

nzbadger, Apr 23, 8:53pm
Frustrating making jams & Jellies! eh!
The froth is common & you just skim it off as it forms. A knob of butter also helps with this if you pop some in while cooking. Cheers

bunnymum, Apr 23, 9:10pm
my mum just made some yellow guava berry jelly and she boiled it with the apples chopped in chunks with the berries then in the muslin bag overnight then same amout sugar to same amount juice then boiled it til it set on a saucer on the bench..she uses jam setter though as it really makes it a good set ...she has been making quince jelly grape jelly and has done crab apple jelly as well so we have a lot of jelly for the winter toast..her recipes are in her head and she has been making them for years ..oh yes she is almost 70 so a very long time..lol...

jesanne, Apr 23, 11:00pm
i usually make guava and apple jelly, Always use the juice of a lemon in it as it has pectin.
Here is a novel idea if you have extra guava's.
Use them as the berries in smoothies. the pips actually blend up.

buzzy110, Apr 23, 11:06pm
I've never really had a problem making my plain old guava jelly set. Just ensure that you do not use berries that are too ripe. There is more pectin in fruit that is still a little unripe. This advice stands for all other fruits as well.

darlingmole, Apr 24, 12:48am
I've been boiling my guava jelly for an hour and a half and it's STILL not set! I'm making this for the first time so have no idea.I cooked the guava's until mushy in 1/2 C water (so it didn't catch or burn) and added 3 large cooking apples all grated up with this; strained over night which produced 14 Cups of liquid.Added 3/4 C of sugar for each cup of liquid and have even added another cup of sugar to see if this helps it set and STILL no joy . please can someone advise me what to do!Many thanks .

creeky1, Apr 24, 1:15am
have you got any jam set! That will help.

nzbadger, Apr 24, 4:50am
Have you been testing it on a cold saucer in the freezer every few mins!

darlingmole, Apr 24, 6:23am
Well I've done it now.Unfortunately it has some frothy muck on the top of the jelly/jam in the jars (! no idea why!) and it's quite a sticky almost toffee consistency now . probably over cooked it!and yes nzbadger I kept doing the freezer test.The best part is it taste lovely - and will be lovelier still when served with creamy blue cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 24, 6:32am
I made peach jam once. Same problem - a lack of pectin so the juice won't gel at temperature, and added sugar converts it to toffee. It made fantastic toffee, but we bent a lot of spoons eating it all up! ( It was wonderful gently reheated and drizzled over steamed pud and ice cream!)

floydandu2, Apr 24, 10:12am
Have you tried the new Chelsea Jam Sugar?I made guava jelly last weekend - yum!About two kg of fruit, and 1, 1kg bag of this sugar which has the pectin and citric acid in it.Woorked really well, and only took about 15 mins on the stove.

bunnymum, Apr 24, 9:10pm
my mum just made some yellow guava berry jelly and she boiled it with the apples chopped in chunks with the berries then in the muslin bag overnight then same amout sugar to same amount juice then boiled it til it set on a saucer on the bench.she uses jam setter though as it really makes it a good set .she has been making quince jelly grape jelly and has done crab apple jelly as well so we have a lot of jelly for the winter toast.her recipes are in her head and she has been making them for years .oh yes she is almost 70 so a very long time.lol.

jesanne, Apr 24, 11:00pm
x1
i usually make guava and apple jelly, Always use the juice of a lemon in it as it has pectin.
Here is a novel idea if you have extra guava's.
Use them as the berries in smoothies. the pips actually blend up.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 11:06pm
I've never really had a problem making my plain old guava jelly set. Just ensure that you do not use berries that are too ripe. There is more pectin in fruit that is still a little unripe. This advice stands for all other fruits as well.

floydandu2, Apr 25, 10:12am
Have you tried the new Chelsea Jam Sugar!I made guava jelly last weekend - yum!About two kg of fruit, and 1, 1kg bag of this sugar which has the pectin and citric acid in it.Woorked really well, and only took about 15 mins on the stove.