What would you take to a BBQ ?

louie221, May 14, 9:48am
Any ideas of super yummy bbq ideas that are easy! can be anything . Thanks

tania007, May 14, 10:01am
Kebabs,potato salad, roast vegie salad, pasta salad, garlic bread.

245sam, May 14, 10:03am
louie221, are you wanting/needing to take food to be barbecued or only food to accompany barbecued items!If you're wanting a salad accompaniment I suggest the following salad which is easily made, transports well and can be made well ahead of time.

Alison Holst's TOMATO AND GARLIC PASTA SALAD
Dressing:
1 cup (250g) bottled or canned Garlic Pasta sauce
¼-½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp each ofsugarandground cumin
½ tsp each ofsaltandcrumbled dried oregano

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor, or shake together in a screw-topped jar.

250g tortellini, spirals or other pasta shapes
2 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
any or all of the following:-
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley;1 stalk celery, thinly sliced;¼-½ unpeeled, thin-skinned cucumber, cubed;drained whole kernel corn

Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, lightly salted water, with a tablespoon of added oil, then drain it thoroughly. Take care not to under-cook or over-cook the pasta.
Stir about three-quarters of the dressing gently into the hot, drained pasta and leave to stand for at least 15 minutes (“I find it convenient to put the pasta and dressing in an unpunctured oven bag to mix and store it.” – A. Holst)
Refrigerate the salad until required for serving, then just before serving stir in the spring onions and any of the optional extra parsley and vegetables.Add a little of the remaining dressing if the salad needs it.

Hope that helps.:-))

louie221, May 14, 10:12am
Thanks Heaps sounds great

aglarana, May 14, 10:16am
Don't forget beer or wine.

pheebs1, May 14, 10:30am
whos bbqing!
it friggen freezing!

sarahb5, May 14, 11:03am
I'd take an umbrella .

nfh1, May 14, 11:04am
LOL - I would take a heater!

sarahb5, May 14, 11:08am
Jacket potato in each pocket to keep your hands warm!

gardie, May 14, 6:09pm
A real easy salad that goes down well.Cans of whole kernal corn very well drained - pop it in a colander a couple of hours before you need it - spring onions, parsley, S&P and mayonnaise.Simply add enough mayonnaise to form a lovely dressing - use a good mayo - and serve it in a lettuce leaf lined bowl.

toadfish, May 14, 6:33pm
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.

toadfish, May 14, 6:33pm
We BBQ all year around.

sarahb5, May 14, 8:44pm
That's fine if you have somewhere dry - unfortunately we don't and it is also p*ssing down in Taranaki at the moment so your dinner would be floating by the time you got it back inside.

beaker59, May 14, 11:38pm
We have a big umbrella which goes up over the Kettle BBQ I use it all the time as the beauty of charcoal webbers are they are set and forget style BBQ's almost like a slow cooker but better. By far our families preference for a Roast.

mwood, May 15, 1:20am
What would you take to a BBQ ! - beer of course LOL

kinna54, May 15, 5:24am
I always like to take a home made foccacia bread, and a yummy warm skin on potato salad with bacon and a ranch dressing.

darlingmole, May 15, 9:05am
scalloped potatoes, homemade coleslaw, fresh rolls with butter, an indian style salad (rice, tomatoes, nuts, spring onions, coriander etc with a delicious dressing), good old fashioned curried eggs!

lindylambchops1, May 15, 9:25am
Knife, fork, spoon, plate & bowl.Drinking vessel.Warm clothes.Blankie.Cuddly toy!

firemansgirl, May 15, 10:54am
This is awesome, I've made it loads of times. Everyone likes it!

bridget107, May 15, 11:24am