Help.Lids on hot jars or NO

sathan81, Apr 29, 4:17am
just made some relish, first time bottling things, do i put the lid on the jars while relish is hot or wait till they cool

carchic, Apr 29, 4:25am
Bottle when hot, sterlise your jars by putting them in the oven once they are cleaned, and heat up till hot then put relish/chutney etc in while hot then seal =o)

kevpat, Apr 29, 4:29am
If you want to preserve the relish you must put boiling mixture into hot jars and screw down firmly with sealing type lids. I re-use the standard jam jars. Otherwise it could go into cold jars and would keep in fridge for several weeks.

korbo, Apr 29, 4:35am
I leave mine until the relish has cooled before putting lids on, tho I always put wax on mine as well as covers

sathan81, Apr 29, 4:38am
ok cool.i did put relish in hot jars then sealed, but had a thought that it might explode lol. Pretty good tasting relish if i do say so, alot ended up in my mouth hehe

lilyfield, Apr 29, 4:40am
to stop the jars breaking while filling -put a spoon in them

gardie, Apr 29, 4:41am
x1
Interesting. I always put the lids on when hot so that they 'suck down' as they cool and then pop when opened again.A lot of relish and pickle recipes say to put the lid on once cool.Not sure the reasoning behind that.I prefer that germs haven't got in lol.

makespacenow, Apr 29, 4:43am
I sterilize my lids along with jars in hot oven. Lids go on after filling i only fill three jars at time then take more out of the oven so lids go on hot things always. I turn the jars for few mins upside Down.sth my grandma used to do to test if lids were airtight. If they are not you will get leakage if they are after few mins turn them back let cool down and store.

annie.nz, Apr 29, 6:47am
With relish and pickles with lots of vinegar, you don't need a reasonably sterile mix to preserve, unlike with jams and preserves.However I always do them hot, probably out of habit.I figure it can't hurt to keep it clean as possible.

allspices, Apr 29, 7:05am
If you choose to cool jar and contents before putting a lid on, you need to put lids on cold jars rather than luke warm so there is no condensate to drip onto your contents - matters for jams as well. If you put hot lids (Boiling water sterilised always works for me) on close to boiling preserves in hot sterilised jars, in my opinion, it's less likely that you'llhave a failure in the seal, or a mould or similar occurrence. ie you'll get better long term results!

jag5, Apr 29, 7:13am
Jams and jellies, bottled fruit.that sort of thing need to be done while hot.sauces, relishes and pickles can be done cold.because they have the vinegar in them which stops them going off.

cookessentials, Apr 29, 7:33am
I put the lids on when cold. I use the Waugh cellophane covers which you soak in water and pop on while jar is hot, then put on the rubber band. As the cellophane dries and the jar cools, it gives you a tight fitting cover. The lid then goes on over that. Also, this way, the lids dont get turned rusty by the vinegar in your chutney's and relishes etc.