The best ever smoothie- what are you waiting for

Page 1 / 2
kob, Apr 29, 3:55am
Well I have today made the best ever smoothie, & I thought id share it with you all. Defrost a frozen banana (when they go brown I freeze them) enough to peel it only and place in a blender, add 6 frozen strawberries ( when cheap I buy up and freeze) add 1 small tub of any low fat yoghurt and add 1/2 cup of milk and blend, Oh My God it was to die for, almost as thick as snowfreeze icecream but oh so yummy and a hell of a lot healhier than icecream as well, TRY IT youll love it. I have brought two this week from cafes ( im trying to live healthier) the first one was $6.95 and I would of rated it a 5.5 the other was $8.50 I would of rated that an 7 but this one went off the rating scale, i would of given it a 13 out of 10 . And only cost probably $3 to make if that, go one make one

karenbnz, Apr 29, 4:12am
Thanks Cob, have done it with fresh banana.how long do you freeze your banana for!

kob, Apr 29, 4:41am
for ever and ever Amen lol, I usually throw them in the freezer once they get to brown to leave in the fruit bowl and are great for cakes, muffins or smoothies, I freeze them lose no bag no nothing and just grab when I want one, but dont leace them on your lovely white/light formika bench cause they stain like crazy when defrosting

norse_westie, Apr 29, 4:49am
I throw in an egg and some weetbix for my kids - a great start to the day or for afternoon tea.

I also buy bulk frozen strawberries at the end of the season so we have them for winter.

evorotorua, Apr 29, 5:45am
This kind of thing is great. You can substitute any kind of milk (for those allergies) and make it as thick or thin as you like. Thanks for sharing Kob. Also thanks again so much for the wonderful thread you started so many years(6 or 7!) about "I've just done the weeks baking". I still lurk in there and I'm so grateful of all the recipes and advise to be found in that thread.

robyn35, Apr 29, 6:13am
make them like for the kids, they love them.Frozen banana mixed up with a stick blender makes yummy icecream, just blend the banana, dont add anything else

pinkybar, Apr 29, 6:37am
frozen bananas make smoothies so creamy they are awesome i make them for my grands every morning sometimes i add in a weetbix quick healthy breakfast

raewyn64, Apr 29, 6:58am
I use flavoured yoghurt usually berry flavoured but replace the milk with apple juice. And then a banana and frozen or fresh berries. That is really yum especially if you are not a great milk person :)

kob, Apr 29, 8:13am
for sure you can add anything to them but this is my favourite concuction of the month, and the frozen banana stops icecream being added and so less calories

kob, Apr 29, 8:17am
you are so welcome, i love everything about food and if what I do or know can help anybody, its all good

rjgower75, Apr 29, 8:55am
Had a yummy dairy free one at a fair the other week.Was just fresh banana, a few frozen berries and apple juice.Kids loved it and we have been having these at home lately.

rarogal, Apr 29, 8:48pm
Mango, banana and vanilla yoghurt is another delicious combination

kob, Apr 30, 5:59pm
must get some apple juice and try that instead of the yogurt, using frozen fruit gives it such a thick consistancy its to die for

willyow, May 2, 6:28pm
Try addinga little vanilla extract to your banana smoothie - ittakes them to a whole new taste level.We also make strawberry smoothies using frozen strawberries, icecream, milkand a little vanilla extract- really yummy.The vanilla extract ( the real stuff) is fantastic with fruit flavours.

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 11:06pm
The Food Truck tv programme is doing smoothies next episode.

lindylambchops1, May 3, 1:15am
WOW yummmy I love smoothies like this.

kob, May 3, 1:43am
bet his are not a tasty as these ones

jennyp2, May 5, 8:27am
I made one last weekend, ooops, sorry this is a juice, made in a juicer, it was 6 carrots, 2 oranges, medium size beetroot, ( peeled ) about 1 tbsp fresh ginger and a handful of baby spinach. Juice and drink - awesome

survivorr, May 5, 9:01am
Thanks . I can't drink milk and was wondering what to put in instead.

survivorr, May 5, 9:03am
Vanilla extract.is that Vanilla Essence!

willyow, May 5, 6:39pm
Vanilla essence is usually achemical concoction - vanilla extract is made using vanilla pods - the only thing the two have in common is the word'vanilla' - especially when it comes totaste/flavour - I spend fairly large chunks of my lifeexplaining the difference- I leave a small bowl of vanilla extract out atmystall at the La Cigale French Market in Parnell on Saturdays - whenpeople take a sniff of the real thing - they instantly get thedifference.

norse_westie, May 5, 8:56pm
I'm going to try adding vanilla to my smoothies. Right now I am using feijoas as we have a glut of them. Ditto vanilla paste. I thought I would try it alongside my vanilla extract, but accidentally bought (online) a 750ml jar instead of a little wee one. Now I have to find ways to use vanilla paste til the kids get sick of it.

mothergoose4, May 6, 6:57am
I would love to try making these, I love smoothies. But we don't have a blender or food processor. Would I be able to use a stick blender!

janny3, May 6, 7:24am
Have used a stick blender w/ no probs.If you're worried about the harder fruits, you may need to chop or grate it first but some of the newer stick blenders are quite powerful.

elliehen, May 6, 8:52am
From tonight's Food Truck - 'Traffic Light Smoothies':

S2 Ep4: Traffic light smoothies
The Food Truck on TV ONE

Makes 8
Great source of nutrients - nature's energy.

Green
1 dessertspoon spirulina powder
2 bananas, peeled
2 apples, cored
1 cup low-fat yoghurt

Orange
1/2 cup orange juice
2 bananas, peeled
2 nectarines, stoned removed
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup low-fat yoghurt

Red
2 cups strawberries, hulled
1 cup frozen raspberries or mixed berries
1 dessertspoon honey
2 bananas, peeled
1 cup low-fat yoghurt

1. Blitz all ingredients for each different colour smoothie separately in a blender.
2. Pour into three separate jugs and chill.
3. Carefully pour each layer onto the back of a spoon into glasses.