Best brand of cocoa??????

Page 1 / 2
sue62, Jan 22, 9:23pm
Sometime ago there was a thread regarding the quality of cocoa. I have just used a new packet of cocoa and the colour of the slice I made is really pale. Which brands are currently the best to use? Thanks

greerg, Jan 22, 9:25pm
Unless you are wanting one of the expensive Dutch ones (which are really good) I find Signature Range from WW or Countdown is both dark and realtively cheap so great for everyday baking.

auntlb, Jan 22, 9:29pm
I always use Bournville

bunny51, Jan 22, 9:32pm
I use homebrand.

vintagekitty, Jan 22, 9:34pm
what brand was it?, I baked a choc cake and used Cadbury's and thought the same

ange164, Jan 22, 9:47pm
pams is fine too. cadbury's has become insipid.

pogram0, Jan 22, 10:02pm
I think the consensus in the previous thread was that the Pam's brand of cocoa was the better one.

t.gypsy, Jan 22, 10:14pm
home brand, nice dark and rich in cocoa flavour

kiwibubbles, Jan 22, 10:17pm
yeah i use signature range - i find it a lot darker and richer than the nestle or cadbury one

bedazzledjewels, Jan 22, 10:26pm
Agree with Bunny. After reading reports on TM I switched to Homebrand, which is made in Germany and is very good for the price.

dezzie, Jan 22, 11:04pm
Another vote for homebrand here.

kiwigoldie, Jan 22, 11:04pm
same here....it comes in a carboard tin IYKWIM.....for those who havent used it before and has a removeable foil lid with aplastic lid...its the only one i use now...and buy them 2 at a time to make sure if they run out i still have stock..

greerg, Jan 22, 11:54pm
Actually I've used Homebrand too and find it very similar to Signature.Both available from WW Countdown.I've been using quite a few Homebrand products lately and they have all been good.

geldof, Jan 23, 12:34am
Weird isn't it.i think all the 'el cheapos' are heaps better than the branded supermarket ones.Can't beat Fair trade or Valrhona though

sue62, Jan 23, 12:40am
Thanks for all the replies. I cant remember what brand I was using as I emptied it into a glass jar some time before I used it. Homebrand for me from now on!!

amiri1, Jan 23, 12:46am
Sun Valley is another nice dark cocoa and less than $5 for 400gms. If I can't get that I buy Signature Range.
I think a lot of the bigger names rely more on their brand name than quality for sales now.

antoniab, Jan 23, 1:09am
I use a dutch one from Binn Inn - Blooker Cacao, its really good, $7.39 for 250g though. Luckily I dont use too much cocoa :)

elliehen, Jan 23, 1:15am
Sun Valley has a good range of nuts and dried fruits too.

mr-and-mrs, Jan 23, 1:50am
I only use Sun Valley cocoa after trying every other brand.The flavour is yummy and the colour is nice and dark.Its not sickly tasting and it perfect for the muc choc cake.I now now the taste of the other brands and Sun Valley is the only cocoa I would swear by

waterlilies, Jan 23, 3:31am
I love homebrand now too. Can't get it at New World so I have to go to Freshchoice for my cocoa. Haven't been able to find my vanilla extract at New World lately so might have to check Freshchoice.
Cadburys one is shite, made my brother do a blind taste test of cocoa powder and now he sees why I visit Freshchoice to only get cocoa powder.

1oliverk, Jan 23, 7:23pm
signature for sure way better than all the expensive dutch ones ive had

lilyfield, Jan 23, 7:46pm
homebrand or sunvalley

maryteatowel1, Jan 23, 7:56pm
...i always use a dutch processed (beans that have been washed with a potassium solution, to neutralise their acidity) cocoa when using baking powder in a recipe as it doesn’t react to baking soda like natural cocoa does...when a recipe calls for baking soda i use the natural cocoa powder as it hasn’t had its acidity tempered and baking soda is alkali...these pairings are important in the end result of cakes and biscuits...i only use dutch cocoa for icing as it has the best flavour and colouring...sun valley is my choice for natural cocoa because of price and flavour and equagold for dutch cocoa because it is the only dutch cocoa i can find here...

cap, Jan 23, 11:03pm
Another vote for Signature Range and the handy container it is in is another bonus.

lindylambchops1, Jan 24, 12:31am
Signature Range gets my vote too!