Preserving Beetroot - best recipe/advice

rotorbladz, Feb 3, 10:44pm
Hi,

I do heaps of preserving of fruit, and pasta sauces and make jam but have never done any beetroot.

I hate my Mum's - sorry Mum as it's really sour and vinergary.

Would love a nice, sweet, tried and true recipe.

TIA

bedarama, Feb 4, 3:06am
I'm the same as you, do heaps of preserving but never done beetroot. Well until this year that is. Phoned my mum, and her recipe is really easy. Cook beetroot in salted water with a little of the stork still on otherwise all the colour will bleed out.
When cool enough to handle pull off skin and slice. In a pot put4 cups water, 2 cups vinegar and 1 cup sugar (add more sugar if you like it sweeter) Bring to boil, add sliced beetroot and boil a few minutes to bring to temp. and then bottle using overflow method. I was really impressed how quick and easy it was plus it tastes great.

Just a question about your pasta sauce;what size jar do you use, and whats your recipe please?

rotorbladz, Mar 21, 10:55pm
x1
Hi there,

I buy bulk tomatoes when really cheap (it's one thing we don't grow).I do a bulk cook up so I don't have set measurements for ingredients sorry as I like mine to have heaps of veg in it.I usually do about 10kg of toms at a time.

I sweat off in 2 Tbspns Grapeseed Oil:

Finely Diced:
Garlic
Onions
Courguette
Carrot
Celery

I put in dried Oregano, fresh basil (or dried if I don't have any fresh), Salt, Cracked Pepper & very finely diced chilli or crushed bought chilli.

I sometimes put mushrooms in.

Once that is nice and soft I add chopped tomatoes a good does of salt and cracked black pepper to taste.I'm a slacker and don't bother skinning the toms as my kids happily eat all the 'bits'.

To bottle:

I have a huge stock of pasta sauce bottles (I think about 500gms) that I've gleaned from my work mates.

While sauce is simmering away I put cleaned lids and bottles in the oven on a low heat.

When ready to bottle I put the bottles on a tray on the bench and laddle the hot sauce into them until it's just about overflowing and then put the lids on.

For Freezing:

I just put freezer bags inside old marg containers and fill with pasta sauce pop lids on and put in the freezer.Once frozen I take the bags out and put a tie around them.