Baking Goddesses - What items freeze best.

rotorbladz, Feb 3, 10:43pm
I was hoping to do a heap of baking to freeze to take the pressure off.

I bake for Mainly Music morning/afternoon tea.

Was wondering what, if any items freeze well without having that "I've been frozen" taste.

TIA

falcon-hell, Feb 3, 11:08pm
lots of people freeze baking-i never have,i just prefer knowing its been baked that morning,for special occasions,i think if you don't ice cakes they are fine,but others will be of more help.

chicco2, Feb 4, 12:02am
Most of my baking gets frozen, with or without icing. Dont freeze it for too many months or it might taste funny. Cakes, loaves, biscuits,cupcakes and muffins all get wrapped in waxed paper and lunchbox sized servings, put in a plastic box and frozen. Too easy.
For full sized cakes, just let them thaw on a rack so they dont get soggy.

lx4000, Feb 4, 12:26am
I bake heaps and freeze down!! I normally double what I make so there is some out and some for later!

pan cakes, muffins, toasties, slices, cake and muffins are all good to freeze down for lunch boxes etc!

Never get caught out with empty cookie jar again!!

babytears, Feb 4, 1:43am
This is fantastic ( compliments of poster "grandma"), you'd never know it had been frozen once thawed:

Makes 3 - eat one, freeze one, give one away! Mix in a large bowl – 2 cups boiling water,250 g cubed butter. Add 2 cups sugar, ¾ cup golden syrup, 2 tsp baking soda.Stir (using a large whisk is helpful). Add 4 tsp ginger, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, 4 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, Divide into 3 loaf tins (eat one, freeze one, give one away!). ¼ hour @ 180 C then ½ hour @ 160C. Keep testing until skewer comes out clean.Texture better the next day.

lx4000, Feb 4, 1:52am
babytears

Now thats a recipie I like!! makes plenty:) Great for using the oven time. By the sounds you can add to! Thinking of apple (grated, slices or cubes), raisins and nuts!

raewyn64, Feb 4, 5:20am
This is a recipe for choc chip biscuits - it uses a food processor but you can do it with a wooden sppon no problem.It came off here but I am sorry I can't remember who it came from.
I do one batch of choc chip ones and then I change it on second batch - add almond essence instead of vanilla and almond slices instead of choc chips.I usually get a good couple of dozen per batch and I bag up then up in mixed dozen and freeze them then just pull out a bag at a time and they are perfect after freezing

125gramm butter
1/2 cup brown sugar ( a full cup is 250ml)
1/2 cup white sugar------whizz in FP until creamy
add an egg and whizz a bit more
add 1 3/4 cups flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla, pinch salt
add choc chips of choice
roll into balls, flatten out a bit on tray and cook about 12-15mins on 180 deg

rotorbladz, Feb 4, 5:35am
Thanks.

Love the eat one, freeze one, give one away!!!!

babytears, Mar 22, 12:16pm
Oh and opps.... the eat one, freeze one and give one away recipe is ginger loaf by the way, but I guess you could probably tell.... It's so moist, it's fantastic! I line my loaf tins with baking paper too