Healthy Lunch suggestions for hard working man

Page 2 / 2
daleaway, Mar 30, 11:46pm
Chooky would you mind telling us how you make scotch eggs in a muffin tray - I'd like to give this a go.

lissy73, Mar 31, 1:02am
I used to make my partner sushi, but not cut the rolls, 2 gladwrapped rolls used to go down well in summertime

kinna54, Mar 31, 2:14am
You could also make huge fruit loaves or sultana cakes: These freeze well and stay moist.
There used to be a good old recipe around for "station loaf".
darn I have lost my copy: *Any posters out there that can help please!* and also had a big sultana cakerecipe *possibly old Edmonds although it is not in my book * which took a lot of ingredients (I can remember 1lb of sultanas) but used to last a hungry hoarde over a week in packed lunches.
If anyone has either of these recipes I would love to see them posted. TIA

chooky, Mar 31, 3:02am
Sorry should have put a full stop in between those. Cant do scotch eggs in muffin tins.

kay141, Mar 31, 3:08am
I'm sure I saw a recipe for scotch eggs in muffin tins. Just boiled eggs wrapped in sausage meat and baked in muffin tins. I think there was also an option of lining the tins with bacon. Perhaps a search for baked scotch eggs would help.

digger148, Mar 31, 3:53am
I'm in a fertiliser spreading truck for 13 odd hours a day. If I want lunch I make it.
Usually I put all the left overs from tea into a container with a couple of slices of bread & bobs your uncle.
Hey, if you cant eat it cold you aint hungry.
Been married for 20 years this year & struggling to think of a time when my lunch was made.

sherylt, Mar 22, 12:13am
I've just fininshed making this zucchini and pasta slice. It'll be going into the freezer for school lunches, but partner was just home for lunch and had a good go at it too.

http://planningwithkids.com/2012/02/20/zucchini-and-pasta-slice-perfect-for-lunch-boxes/

uli, Mar 30, 8:35am
Sounds like a great lunch to me!

mikew, Mar 30, 9:02am
How do you use these food flasks!
Do you just place hot food in them in the morning and it remains hot until lunch time!
Are some brands better than others!

george091, Mar 30, 9:10am
What about baked spuds, stuffed with cheese, or whatever.Pasta salad, potato salad, both not really freezable but easy enough to do bigger batch for dinner to have left overs.Scones.Meatloaf, or chilli mince and give him a couple wraps or corn chips and some salsa.What about doing an old school pastie! It's what the miners ate for lunch, put any leftover veges in them

motorbo, Mar 30, 9:33am
this was on tv the other day.aussie cooking show alive and cooking, if he didnt like it hot cut back or cut out the peppers.they looked hearty and delish

Jalapeno & Parmesan Muffins

send to a friend!

print recipe

Ingredients

1 tbsp chopped jalapenos
4 chopped spring onions
100g parmesan
200g SR flour
4 eggs
50g Ghee
Garlic
100ml cream

Method

Pre heat oven to 180º
Melt ghee
Chop spring onion, garlic and jalapenos and add to melted ghee
Grate parmesan
Add eggs to bowl and whisk then add 100ml cream, add parmesan cheese
Remove spring onions etc from heat and allow to cool
Add flour slowly and mix
Add spring onion etc and mix
Put in muffin tin and cook for 10-12mins

antoniab, Mar 30, 8:26pm
Thats what we both do 9 times out of 10 we just take left overs from the night before. Sometimes Ill heat mine up if I feel like it as I have the option to do so at work but hubby is a trady and always just eats it cold, never any complaints :)

buzzy110, Mar 30, 10:30pm
Marinated mussels. No need to freeze because they keep for at least 5 days just in the vinegar in the fridge.

Meat loaf. Stuff it with boiled eggs if you want. Easier than making scotch eggs (which are an excellent suggestion btw). No need to freeze that either if you eat it first.

Cold sausages, slit lengthwise and stuffed with relish.
Boiled eggs.
Homemade smoked salmon or bought smoked fish.
Cheese

If you really do mean the 'healthy' part then you'd at least want some sort of vegetable to add to the food:

Sauerkraut - (made with cabbage, carrots, radishes, onions and cauliflower) It is a far superior method of taking raw vegetables anywhere. No refrigeration required with a properly made sauerkraut. Make up 10 litres and it will last for all of winter. Stick it inside a wrap with a choice of protein.

Fresh fruit.
Activated nuts.

elliehen, Mar 30, 10:37pm
And if anyone out there is wondering what an "activated nut" is, here is an activated Australian nut to tell you all about it ;-)

http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/activated-almonds/

vinee, Mar 30, 10:49pm
http://www.recipebyphoto.com/24-awesome-muffin-tin-recipes/ I saw this the other day, 24 mostly savoury things in muffin tins. and this too. http://www.perfectingthepairing.com/2012/03/customizable-bread-bowl-breakfast.html
I'm sick of sammies too - but they're just so easy to pick up and eat!
I'm going to have a good look at that first link now.

ry5, Mar 31, 12:58am
What about wraps!I make them for my own lunch all the time.A bit of left over chicken, then filled out with tomato, grated carrot, lettuce,egg etc., with some sweet chili sauce.Yummy!

uli, Mar 31, 12:59am
This looks lovely - can make a whole lot on the weekend

http://www.recipebyphoto.com/minibacon-egg-cups/

punkinthefirst, Mar 31, 12:22pm
What about a good old-fashioned salad sandwich with plenty of salad and whole-grain type bread! With a muffin or a slice of plain cake and some fruit and a cup of tea, that's a healthy meal for someone who is doing hard physical work. If he needs to cut down fat, just don't spread the bread with butter or marg and be careful what meats and cheeses you put in the sandwich.

goodbooks, Apr 1, 6:50am
I like gherkins or pickled onions in wraps and sandwiches too, with cold meat and lettuce and tomato, chutney too.

missmuppett, Apr 2, 7:55am
I've been making quiches in a 12x muffin pan. a little reduced fat puff pastry then fill with whisked eggs, ham, red onion, parsley, curry powder, cheese etc and they come up nice - nice hot or cold.I made bread cases ones once, but they were'n't that great.