Oil for deep fryers?

maxi27, Mar 27, 9:00pm
Can someone please tell me a nice oil to use in my deep fryer! the ones that I have tried start to smell after a few days use. I would really appreciate your help.

tatts2, Mar 27, 9:14pm
30w40 from repco.

richard198, Mar 27, 9:17pm
Rice Bran!

gdath2, Mar 27, 9:31pm
Canola oil is quite good.though oil does develope smells, from what is cooked in it.if you stayed only on chips,it lasts quite awhile, if you cook a range of fish,then say chicken, then chips, then a smell becomes certain.hope this is of use.

maxi27, Mar 27, 9:47pm
Its mainly used for cooking chips.have tried canola oil and its fine for a few days then it also starts to get a strong smell yet the chips taste fine its just the strong odour some oils seem to give off, surely there must be a less smelly one!

purplegoanna, Mar 27, 10:56pm
I JUST USE PLAIN SALAD & COOKING OIL.

madrose, Mar 27, 11:53pm
i use the same stuff that the fish and chip shops use, either chefade or similar, but im lucky I have a gilmours card and can get it from there and the large box lasts me ages :)

doree36, Mar 28, 12:00am
I always use Grape Seed oil - great stuff has a very high flash point so can take the heat.odourless too

maxi27, Mar 28, 12:07am
I have never used chefade. I thought you could only use oil in deep fryers! Has anyone else used chefade! might be an option.

casey1232, Mar 28, 12:38am
Yuk dont use Chefade its basically melted down cows and it stinks to high heaven after a bit. I have alot of experience with deep fryers and the best oil by a mile is cottonseed. Obviously its going to be the most expensive but it lasts soooooo much longer than the others and you can filter it many times and reuse. It has a high smoke point, as does ricebran.

harrislucinda, Mar 28, 3:57am
yesusedchefadeinmyfirstdeepfryeraswhencoolsgoessolidbutmynew1statesoil
took awhiletogetusedofthetastefromchefade tooilchips

fisher, Mar 30, 11:33pm
Had same problem. smell was horrible and made wifey feel sick, so went to chefade.Reckon chips are much nicer and also fish deep fried doesn't seem to have the "filled with oil", saturated taste and flavour.
I just make sure everything is dried well before going into the basket.and cook on slightly higher temp than I would with oil.

mark277, Mar 31, 6:32am
RIcebran oil is fantastic in deep fryer!

perle, Mar 31, 7:09am
i use rice bran too its awesome

3jtrader, Mar 31, 8:52am
We use extra virgin olive oil and love it.