How long does sushi last

bk02, Feb 17, 12:57am
I was going to make a large amount of sushi for tomorrow to be eaten around lunch time but need to make it around 7am in the morning.Will it last if kept well chilled! Any suggestions on how to pack it for travel also would be good. (not sure if will all stick together etc) and wonder if the seaweed will go all soft!

nauru, Feb 17, 2:14am
I usually wrap my rolls in clingwrap and keep in the fridge until required, then cut them into slices. To transport it, put the uncut wrapped rolls in a box with a frozen icepak on top. Cut the rolls when you get there and yes, the nori will soften with the moisture from the rice. AS long as you keep it well chilled it will be OK.

sarahb5, Feb 17, 2:53am
Don't put chicken in it if you are transporting it in this heat/humidity - that's how I ended up with a tummy bug this week.

jag5, Feb 17, 9:05am
It will be fine.chicken or not.as long as you carry it in a chilli bin with a slicker pad, or a bottle of frozen water.

sarahb5, Feb 18, 12:05am
This was delivered in a chilly bin with the ice pads on the top - but the weather is so hot and humid at the moment it clearly wasn't enough to keep the chicken fresh, or the chicken wasn't kept fresh at the shop in the first place.

jag5, Feb 18, 1:22am
I would say it was probably the latter.had a problem before transport.hope you are okay now.food poisoning not the best.

sarahb5, Feb 18, 3:23am
Needless to say, I won't be eating chicken sushi for a while .

uli, Feb 18, 7:29am
if you keep it in a fridge that is set to 4 degrees C then it should last 2 to 3 days .

bk02, Feb 18, 9:37am
Thanks heaps for your replies everyone.The sushi was a hit.Transported it in a chilly bin with ice all around the sushi container and had no probs keeping it cold for the whole day.
And wow uli had no idea that sushi would last that long! great :-)

uli, Feb 18, 9:47pm
Make sure though your fridge IS at 4 degrees - most are 7 or 10 degrees :)
And also make sure you work very cleanly and fridge immediately after making the sushi.

Rice can go off in 1 or two days - however mine keeps for up to a week in the fridge as I do fridge it the moment we have stopped serving and only use a dishwasher clean serving spoon to dip into the rice - no licked spoons or pickings with fingers!