Help with Plum Chutney please

raffella, Feb 11, 9:23pm
Have make a batch of plum chutney but seems too 'watery', and tastes very sharp and vinegary.
I doubled the recipe for everything except malt vinegar, didn't have enough so usedmalt and white (about 1 1/2 amount in original recipe) - was that a mistake using white vinegar!
Thought I might drain off a little liquid, grate some more courgettes in and maybe add some sugar!Don't want to waste all the good things that went into it!
Any help welcome!

jessie981, Feb 11, 9:43pm
Checked Aunt Daisy recipe. Vinegar she used in Chutney recipes was Malt. 4lb plums = 1lb sugar

245sam, Feb 11, 10:08pm
raffella, have you remembered that chutney tends to mellow with age and depending on how the jars are covered, they also tend to dry out!:-))

korbo, Feb 11, 11:23pm
make a paste of cornflour and vinegar bring back to boil, thicken, leave bubbling 2-5 mins then bottle. I always thicken chutney, relish etc.

katalin2, Feb 12, 12:07am
I would add some dates- will thicken and sweeten at the same time. Digby Laws chutney recipes have dates in them and they produce a lovely texture and you dont taste the dates.

raffella, Feb 12, 2:00am
I took some liquid off, added more plums and courgettes, a bit more sugar, packet of dates then some cornflour mixed with a little liquid.Looks and tastes great!First batch of anything from my own plums!Even managed to sterilise just the right number of jars.Thank you all for suggestions.