Feijoa chutney...

goldgurl, Apr 11, 6:49am
so I made some for the first time over the weekend...gawd it's got a STRONG vinegar flavour *sigh* I don't think anyone else in this house is going to eat it...twas nice though...once you get over the initial wiff of vinegar...

Anyway, my question is, what do other people use chutney for?I only know to use it in a cold meat sandwich...surely there are more uses?

Also, for future reference, is there a way to make a sweeter, milder flavoured chutney (twas just the vinegar that overwhelmed me lol).

margyr, Apr 11, 6:51am
not sure about feijoa chutney, but other sorts I put in stews and casseroles, curries.

winnie231, Apr 11, 6:52am
Chutneys mature with storage & mellow in flavour.
I usually leave mine 6mths before opening ... seems a long time but worth the wait!
If you can't wait that long I'd give it atleast 3mths.

goldgurl, Apr 11, 6:58am
hehehe, oh with only me eating it, I can def wait 6 months lol.I only made enough for 3 jars, two sealed, one didn't...so that is in the fridge...I'm not going to be able to finish it on my own...thanks for the 'mature with stoarge...' comment, very good to know that!!

Margyr - thankies :)Might try slipping a bit into a casserol later in the week, will have to be subtle - the kids aren't very adventurous *sigh*

mikejowsey, Apr 11, 6:58am
my experience with strong vinegar taste when I first started making relishes and chutneys was to change the variety of vinegar and use a little less,seems the fruit may not have been ripe enough,my favourite vinegar is apple cider, which reminds me must make this week.Good luck with your chutney adventures.

goldgurl, Apr 11, 7:00am
thanks mike :)

I used cinder vinegar...will try apple cider next time, as I am keen to try another variation of chutney.

Do any of you have a Feijoa jelly (as in jam) recipe or even a JAM recipe please - have tried the serach function...went cross eyed after sifting through all the earlier posts lol.

chiquita1, Apr 11, 10:06am
Feijoa Jelly: cut stalk ends off feijoas and chop roughly or in half lengthwise. Heat in a large pot with a little water (just enough so that it doesn't burn on the bottom) and simmer until feijoas go mushy and the colour of gherkins (murky grey/green).Strain through a muslin cloth into a pot - we just attached this to the legs of an upside-down stool for a couple of hours or overnight.Other people have said an old pillowcase or teatowel also works.Take the strained juice - don't stir it or it will go cloudy, measure quantity.Add 1 cup of sugar per 1 cup of feijoa juice and bring to a rolling boil.Skim scum off the top and discard.Test to see if jelly has set by putting some in a saucer.We usually add a lemon or two in the first part to aid in the setting. Also, don't use over ripe feijoas - just the green ones as these also aid in the setting. Pour into hot sterilised jars.

goldgurl, Apr 11, 3:13pm
THANK YOU Chiquita!!!

Def gonna give this a go!!

chiquita1, Apr 11, 8:24pm
Delicious with scones and cream!Another hint is to just keep reducing the jelly until it thickens and sets.Good luck.

asue, Apr 11, 10:16pm
I always use less vinegar than the recipe says.Use chutney with cheese and crackers. Or else as a dip on a nibbles platter.Or even asa side accompaniment with main plain meals like chicken pieces, steak, sausages or quiche

mebloodrunsblu, Apr 15, 11:04pm
I am doing this jelly now, I have added half of the sugar, and it is too sweet, I imagine the sugar is needed for the jelly to set.
Be careful when add in the sugar, I have 6 cups of feijoa juice, and I added 3 cups of sugar, so sweet, the question is will it set.