Feijoa chutney..how long does it take to thicken

jen211, Apr 23, 2:15am
I am making feijoa chutney. The recipe says to simmer until thick. Approx how long will this take?
Also, just had a taste and it tastes very stronly of the malt vinegar.

Thanks

jen211, Apr 23, 3:04am
thanks Jessie

pickles7, Apr 23, 3:13am
Trying to think why I never make chutney any more... lol...It was never because it was too vinegary, for sure. Chutney uses less vinegar than pickles, and sauces. Maybe you are looking to get too much out of the amount of fruit, you are using.
What was the recipe, you started with????....jen211....

jen211, Apr 23, 3:17am
I have just had a taste and it seems ok now. It's my first time making chutney.

FEIJOA CHUTNEY
Ingredients
1.5 kg feijoas
1 kg onions
1/2 cup crystallised ginger
2 cups sultanas
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 litre malt vinegar
Method
Peel and chop the feijoas and onions and slice the ginger finely. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer until thick, then pour into jars. Seal when cold.

pickles7, Apr 23, 3:28am
looks as if it should be nice. enjoy.
I have a jar of date chutney in my fridge, I was given, tastes nice, we just avoid it, and stick to .....pickle....lol
It will thicken as it cools as well.

jen211, Apr 23, 3:36am
Thanks pickles. Just had some with some cheese and crackers. It is lovely.

Do the jars seal themselves?

pickles7, Apr 23, 3:47am
They will if you put the lids on while hot. The draw back is the condensation will cause the lids to rust. [ that's what I remember, the rusty lids.] Just so long as you don't make so much it is sitting in your cupboards for ages, you shouldn't go wrong. I make pickles all year these days, we are so lucky the produce is so easy to get a hold of, all year.

jen211, Apr 23, 4:47am
Thanks so much for your help pickles.

chooky, Apr 23, 7:21am
Made the chutney last night. It took a while to thicken, never made chutney before either, so was abit worried when it took so long. But well worth it and its so easy.

jen211, Apr 24, 2:15am
I am making feijoa chutney. The recipe says to simmer until thick. Approx how long will this take!
Also, just had a taste and it tastes very stronly of the malt vinegar.

Thanks

pickles7, Apr 24, 3:13am
Trying to think why I never make chutney any more. lol.It was never because it was too vinegary, for sure. Chutney uses less vinegar than pickles, and sauces. Maybe you are looking to get too much out of the amount of fruit, you are using.
What was the recipe, you started with!.jen211.

jen211, Apr 24, 3:17am
I have just had a taste and it seems ok now. It's my first time making chutney.

FEIJOA CHUTNEY
Ingredients
1.5 kg feijoas
1 kg onions
1/2 cup crystallised ginger
2 cups sultanas
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 litre malt vinegar
Method
Peel and chop the feijoas and onions and slice the ginger finely. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer until thick, then pour into jars. Seal when cold.

pickles7, Apr 24, 3:28am
looks as if it should be nice. enjoy.
I have a jar of date chutney in my fridge, I was given, tastes nice, we just avoid it, and stick to .pickle.lol
It will thicken as it cools as well.

jen211, Apr 24, 3:36am
Thanks pickles. Just had some with some cheese and crackers. It is lovely.

Do the jars seal themselves!

pickles7, Apr 24, 3:47am
They will if you put the lids on while hot. The draw back is the condensation will cause the lids to rust. [ that's what I remember, the rusty lids.] Just so long as you don't make so much it is sitting in your cupboards for ages, you shouldn't go wrong. I make pickles all year these days, we are so lucky the produce is so easy to get a hold of, all year.