Does anyone know how to stop veges sweating in .

tommydog, Feb 5, 4:21am
Just wondering if anyone knows how to stop vegetables sweating in plastic bags in the fridge or is there a better way of storing them that will make them last longer.Thanks.

jessie981, Feb 5, 4:56am
I put a paper towel in bin & store out of the bag. Never any trouble.

uli, Feb 5, 5:17am
There is no way anything "sweats" in a 4 degree C fridge :)

What you call "sweating" is most likely the surplus water that accumulates on your plastic bags once they (and the veges in them) get put into the fridge.

There is no problem at all with that. And why would you like to "stop it"!

jessie981, Feb 5, 5:32am
uli she asked a simple question. Don't think t.d needs to give an explanation!

uli, Feb 5, 8:06am
so what is it you think I "should have" answered - if the above doesn't meet with your approval!

jessie981, Feb 5, 8:16am
Don't be on the defense.
This - And why would you like to "stop it"!

fisher, Feb 5, 8:21am
I have non slip matting (available from the "Plastic box" ) on the base of my fridge shelves and ALWAYS remove any produce from their plastic bags.
The only plastic bags I have found to enhance the longevity of produce are those perforated bags. (the ones with holes in them :}

tommydog, Feb 5, 10:49am
Thanks Jessie thats where I'm probarly going wrong leaving them in the plastic bags.

lythande1, Feb 5, 7:14pm
I open them.

camper18, Feb 5, 7:25pm
Wrap the likes of celery, broccoli, cauli and any that tend to go limp easily in tinfoil . They wil stay crisp for weeks.

cookessentials, Feb 5, 7:42pm
I always remove any vegetables from the plastic bag to avoid the condensation and allow good air circulation. Lettuce, goes into a special cloth bag which keeps it crispy.

pogram0, Feb 5, 8:22pm
I keep my vegetables in those green plastic vegetable bags you get from the supermarket (or I think are available on TM if you put it into the search engine).Vegetables certainly last longer in them, particularly the greens.

sarahb5, Feb 5, 11:16pm
I use Tupperware Fridgesmart boxes for lettuce, spinach and mushrooms.Everything else gets taken out of the plastic bag (New World's bags seem to cause more condensation that the Countdown ones for some reason) and is just in the veggie bin "au naturel" in the fridge.Tomatoes aren't kept in the fridge because they have more flavour at room temperature.

male_timaru, Feb 6, 1:22am
The bags will have gone to room temperature more than likely during transit from shop to home and when you pop them in the fridge you do get a little condensation in there

I use plastic ice cream containers and cake coolers so any moisture is under the contents of the tub and not the items sitting in moisture

iriegirl, Feb 6, 1:42am
Out of interest cooks, what sort of cloth is the lettuce bag! And does it keep your lettuce well!