Help Me Use My Leftover Rice Please

lindy12, Jan 22, 3:54am
Have a rice pudding in the oven (husband is in need of some comfort food) and I cooked way to much.I now have about 2 cups of cooked rice that I would like to use for dinner.Hes going to cook some chicken breasts on the bbq and suggested some sort of savoury rice to have with them but I'm stumped.Can't get beyond throwing in a can of Watties Savoury tomatoes!

lost-in-oz, Jan 22, 4:01am
make a rice frittata!Chop up an onion, whatever other veg.mix it with the rice and self raising flour and eggs.herbs spices, parmessan cheese.

You can either put the mixture into muffin tins and bake or into a big dish and slice up.sprinkle with grated cheese before baking.

nfh1, Jan 22, 4:02am
Would it not be sweet!

gardie, Jan 22, 4:14am
On the BBQ cook some finely chopped veges - whatever you have on hand then when almost done, stir through the cooked rice and chuck over some soya sauce.Voila - fried rice.We love doing ours this way - the BBQ imparts a fabulous flavour.

lodgelocum, Jan 22, 4:44am
What about a fried rice, add an egg omelette to it, chopped spring onions, prawns or shrimps, a great side salad with any meat, or a meal on its own depending on how much of the extra you add.A bit of soy sauce or chilli sauce gives it a great flavour.

nfh1, Jan 22, 4:53am
I must be missing something - isn't rice pudding made with sugar!

lodgelocum, Jan 22, 4:56am
Yes but perhaps Lindy12 cooked the rice first and then made it into rice pudding! she only states she has two cups of cooked rice left over!

nfh1, Jan 22, 5:00am
I did not know you could make it with cooked rice - I thought the rice went in the oven with sugar and milk to cook!

Shows what I know!

nfh1, Jan 22, 5:03am
To be honest, I also thought rice for pudding was different to rice used for savoury dishes.

I suppose it has become obvious I am not a chef.

lodgelocum, Jan 22, 5:35am
Rice flakes is often used for rice pudding, I had to make rice pudding in my previous job (which by the way I HATE lol), and yes, how you describe it the normal way to make rice pudding, rice,sugar,milk,cook;but we don't know what Lindy did, only trying to help out with her request.

lost-in-oz, Jan 22, 8:21am
I cook my rice pud with uncooked rice, my ex mother in law cooks her rice first.
I think mine is far creamier.she thinks hers is.it's all relative I think.

nfh1, Jan 22, 8:20pm
Cheers - I remember my Mum making it when I was a child, never made it myself, was just surprised to see left over rice pudding being using in savoury dishes.

Makes perfect sense now if you can make it with cooked rice - thanks!

taurus2005, Jan 22, 9:11pm
Heat up a tablespoon of oil in pan, add chopped onion, handful of peas or mixed veges, 1/2 tsp tumeric, grated ginger, minced garlic, salt to taste, minced chilli if u like,Cook for about 10 mins, garnish with chopped coriander.You can add whatever other veges you like e.g. diced potatoes, capsicums. This is lovely with plain yoghurt or a nice raita.

kuaka, Jan 22, 9:16pm
That's how I've always done it - must be an English thing eh!

kuaka, Jan 22, 9:17pm
Make a rice salad - do a search on here for recipies, there's a yummy curried rice salad recipe lurking on here somewhere, I've made it, it's easy and very tasty.

nfh1, Jan 22, 9:20pm
That could be it kuaka - I thought I remembered my Mum buying "Pudding' rice as well - tiny grains - mind you I am going back over 40 years!

dbab, Jan 22, 10:09pm
You can freeze cooked rice. Handy to have in the freezer.

gilligee, Jan 22, 11:56pm
I have never heard of precooking rice for rice pudding so perhaps it is a modern recipe. Mind you I have not seen it in the modern recipes either.

muppetluva, Jan 23, 3:51am
You were never married.shes NOT your ex mother in law

kuaka, Jan 23, 9:05am
I actually did have a recipe once for a creamy rice pudding, where the rice was cooked first, then put into a saucepan along with (from memory) some condensed milk, ordinary milk, butter and eggs, and cooked.It made quite a nice mixture, but definitely wasn't my idea of a "rice pudding".

lost-in-oz, Jan 23, 12:37pm
Together 18years .common law.Soyes, she is my ex mother in law.

From Wiki.
A mother-in-law is the mother of a person's spouse

The term spouse generally refers to a partner in a marriage:
Husband, referring to a male partner
Wife, referring to a female partner
In some usages, a partner in a civil union, domestic partnership or common-law marriage

It's a post about rice pudding.why are you getting your knickers all in a twist!

kob, Jan 23, 6:58pm
freeze it stays seperated and great to add to that stirfry late at night when you cant be bothered cooking any