Making a pie with leftover roast lamb

gaspodetwd, Jun 5, 6:33am
After a really successful leftovers pie ( with chicken, mushroom, bacon and Veges) I have now got roast lamb to use up.
I know onions and lamb are great - with carrots. But herbs? I don't want to use mint or rosemary. Other suggestions?
And what sort of gravy or sauce?

gta3, Jun 5, 6:47am
shepards pie is a really good way with lamb.Boil up and mash potatoes.Mince up meat with an onion and few slices of bread.Mix in some mixed herbs and some worchester sauce.Put mash potato on top of meat and some grated cheese. bake at 180 c for 10 - 15 mins until heated through

gaspodetwd, Jun 5, 6:54am
Thanks. I should have said I have pastry to use and don't want to include potatoes. I want a sauce or tasty gravy. I used cream in the chicken pie. And I can use stock with lamb but have a vague idea about making a red wine sauce with it. But I am clueless which herbs would go without being overpowering. Thyme? Do chestnuts go with lamb?

lindylambchops1, Jun 5, 6:58am
chestnuts go with chicken & turkey mainly

chicco2, Jun 5, 7:00am
Lamb and kumera curry.

gaspodetwd, Jun 5, 7:03am
Mmmmm. I have a turkey for a midwinter Christmas. Thinking chestnut and bacon stuffing....

lythande1, Jun 5, 7:26pm
Mushroom and Lamb Pie Ingredients

1 onion
1 lb lamb
1 oz butter
1 egg beaten
salt and pepper
4 oz mushrooms
1/2 pint beef stock
4 oz frozen puff pastry

Mushroom and Lamb Pie Method

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop the onion then wash and roughly chop the mushrooms and then in a frying pan fry the onion and mushrooms in butter until soft. Add lamb then add stock and seasonings then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place the mixture into a pie dish and cover with pastry then trim the edges and flute. Brush with the beaten egg and bake in the centre of oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and cook the Mushroom and Lamb Pie for a further 15 minutes or until crust is brown and crunchy.

OR

Ingredients (serves 12)

125g butter
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2kg diced lamb
4 large brown onions, coarsely chopped
1 bunch green shallots, trimmed, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
150g (1 cup) frozen peas, thawed
1 potato, peeled, finely chopped
250g button mushrooms, sliced
300ml dry red wine
2 tbs dried oregano
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
125g butter, melted, extra
1 1/2 x 375g pkts (about 30 sheets) filo (Pampas brand)

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat until foaming. Add garlic and fry until golden.

Add one-quarter of the lamb and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. Repeat with the remaining lamb (in 3 more batches).

Return lamb to the pan with the onion and shallots. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.

Add the carrots, peas, potato and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.

Add the red wine and oregano and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid reduces and lamb is tender.

Add a bit of stock and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, grease a 30 x 30cm baking dish with some of the melted butter.

Lay filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel, to prevent it from drying out. Working quickly, lay 1 sheet of filo across the bottom of the baking dish and up the sides. Brush with a little of the melted butter. Place another sheet on top. Continue layering with 10 more sheets of filo, brushing each sheet with a little melted butter.

Spoon all the lamb mixture over the pastry. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese and top with tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper.

Continue layering with remaining filo and butter. Trim off any excess pastry from around the edges.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the filo is golden brown and flaky.

gaspodetwd, Jun 6, 12:12am
Thanks. I have made the red wine gravy with meat juices. Lamb is good to go and we will be making the pastry As it needs to be GF. I will use oregano though as your recipe suggests. I'll post to let you know the results.

gaspodetwd, Jun 6, 6:33am
After a really successful leftovers pie ( with chicken, mushroom, bacon and Veges) I have now got roast lamb to use up.
I know onions and lamb are great - with carrots. But herbs! I don't want to use mint or rosemary. Other suggestions!
And what sort of gravy or sauce!

gaspodetwd, Jun 6, 6:54am
Thanks. I should have said I have pastry to use and don't want to include potatoes. I want a sauce or tasty gravy. I used cream in the chicken pie. And I can use stock with lamb but have a vague idea about making a red wine sauce with it. But I am clueless which herbs would go without being overpowering. Thyme! Do chestnuts go with lamb!

gaspodetwd, Jun 6, 7:03am
Mmmmm. I have a turkey for a midwinter Christmas. Thinking chestnut and bacon stuffing.

gaspodetwd, Jun 7, 12:12am
Thanks. I have made the red wine gravy with meat juices. Lamb is good to go and we will be making the pastry As it needs to be GF. I will use oregano though as your recipe suggests. I'll post to let you know the results.