Yellow fleshed plums

smileeah, Jan 18, 1:57am
Our neighbours told us to help ourselves to their plums and that's just what the blokes of the house did yesterday.came home with 5 big bags full of plums. My question is what is the best thing to turn yellow fleshed plums into please! (one of the varieties had yellow skin also). TIA

davidt4, Jan 18, 2:18am
They will make lovely jam.I like to add some cardamom seeds to pale plum jam.

cgvl, Jan 18, 2:28am
the yellow skined ones make beautiful jam. for 1.5kg plums add 1tin (450g) crushed pineapple and 1.25kg sugar. cook the plums whol and skim out the stones as cooking (they will float to the top). Can be put through a mouli or sieve also.
Add pineapple with sugar.
Yumm.
the red skinned ones can be used for jam, sauce or chutney/relish.

pickles7, Jan 18, 2:32am
Make jam only if your family will eat it.
Make plum sauce if your family have savoury tastes.

vomo2, Jan 18, 3:35am
cgvl, do you drain the pineapple first!

smileeah, Jan 18, 5:57am
OK great, thanks all.

cgvl, Jan 18, 6:22am
vomo2 no I don't, just use straight from tin. But you do use less sugar.

tehenga288, Jan 18, 9:13am
plum chutney is nice too

pickles7, Jan 18, 8:07pm
yellow flesh plum sauce

3.5 kg of plums. .
I have added
3 litres of vinegar [ cider or malt ]
3 cm grated fresh ginger
1 kg of brown sugar
2 Tbsp sea salt
2 tsp gr. mace
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp gr. cloves
5 tsp gr all spice
It tastes ok right now, I am not going to add anything else until it has simmered for 1&1/2 hours, and has been through the mouli.
Yielded
6 X 750mil wine bottles of sauce.

terraalba, Jan 18, 11:42pm
I've got yellow fleshed plums with reddish skins. Juicy and sweet and small but thankfully freestone. I've tried jam and chutney and freezing them. Didn't like the results at all.

The best cooked way I discovered after 10 years (minus the three years that the wind destroyed the blossoms and one year all the fruit) just this weekend.
I just poach them in some water (not stew them) like I do with red currants for breakfast. No sugar needed and they stay whole and are a pleasant texture.

Lesson learned. If the fruit is juicy and soft, just poach, don't stew.

Took me long enough to figure that out.
You can only eat so many raw of these plums before your stomach objects. Then they don't last long once picked. I finally cracked it, another way to use the plums - great with lemon flavoured yoghurt, I've found.