Plum Sauce receipe with a twist

julie55, Jan 13, 11:01pm
Hi all. I wanted to make a small batch of plum sauce and after searching through here, and a few books, checking out what I had on hand I have made this recipe. A useful pantry clean out as well so you can adapt this for your own needs and taste. It is a twist on the traditional but has turned out really nice and fruity and not too dark, more like a rich raspberry colour. I thought I would share with you.
Julie's Plum Sauce
2kg plums - Black Amber - dark skins but yellow red fruit used today from the local market
2dsp honey dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water (end of the jar)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar (end of the bottle)
2 cups of cider vinegar (end of another bottle)
1 fresh red chili (from the market)
1 knob of fresh ginger (from the market about thumb sized peeled)
1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped but not peeled
1 star anise
6 whole cloves
2tsp salt
Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours. It will thicken and darken. Turn off the heat and let cool. Pick out the chili, star anise and ginger with all the plum seeds and throw into the food processor. Bottle in sterilerised glass bottles and jars. It has a nice balance - a bit more fruity than vinegary. It is also not too thick and gloopy - tunred out really well!

gerry64, Jan 13, 11:41pm
I was given some overripe plum cots - or whatever there name is - cross between plum and apricot - decided to make them into a brew using oriental spices instead of wasting them - is really nice

buzzy110, Jan 14, 8:47am
That sounds really nice julie55 and thank you for sharing your recipe. It is nice when something works out well when you tweak a recipe to suit your available ingredients.

whiskey13, Feb 7, 11:57am
I've just been given plums so will make this as i have all the ingredients. (hepls when ya dad is a beekeeper lol), Thanks for posting julie55

hotstuff111, Feb 7, 7:02pm
sounds good julie i will go and raid trees tonight and brew up a batch tomorrow.