Made plum sauce, but it tastes,

korbo, Jan 29, 9:13pm
a little bitter. followed the recipe perfectly, could the plums have been not quite ripe, and I did have a few stones in the mix.
Must add, used Pams Brown vinegar, and remembered afterwards, that I had used this once before in relish and felt it didnt taste the same as using DYC.
It is ok but not like i think it should.

wenpen, Jan 29, 9:31pm
What variety of plum are you using!

Did you leave the skins on the plum's, I think late season plum skin can be a little bitter. Mum always said to add a pinch of salt to get rid of the bitterness.

korbo, Jan 29, 11:50pm
black doris, and yes left the skins on. would still be peeling skins off.

annie.nz, Jan 30, 1:01am
Could be the Pams, but it shouldn't make that much difference.Leave the sauce and try it again in a couple of weeks, it may have settled down.

korbo, Jan 30, 7:11am
had some tonight, seems to taste better now.

niffer13, Jan 30, 8:43am
The older plum sauce is the better it is.

gerry64, Jan 30, 10:13pm
Hi korbo -yes leave it a week or two it will improve

fifie, Jan 30, 10:28pm
Just finished last years plum sauce, whichthickend up a bit and the flavour has intensified, longer it sits the better. Just made another lot will leave it sitting a while, till i use up a few bottles of apricot and tomato that way we use it all up.

linette1, Feb 10, 9:09am
How did you ladies process/bottle your sauce please!
I have made some for the first time and am not sure that I have done it right.
I used the oven to heat up my bottles for 20 mins at 180 F and poured the hot sauce into them, it was a bit hairy and I don't know if I have done it right.
Made it over a week ago and have the bottles in the bottom of my frig but don't feel confident about them.
I don't want to poison anybody

cgvl, Feb 10, 10:03am
Exactly how I do it and I just seal them and pop into the pantry until ready to use.
Only on the 2nd bottle of last years and have another 6 or more in cupboard. Have had it 2-3 years later and was beautiful.

daisyhill, Feb 10, 10:11am
x1
Plum sauce should sit for months if not years. The longer the better. It's really not good straight away.

linette1, Feb 10, 9:38pm
I meant the actually bottling process as I have never done it before.

As I found that difficult with hot bottles and hot sauce and wondered if I had both at too high a heat when I filled them.
And getting the tops of the bottle clean as the sauce was sticking to the bottle,also filling them to the top or not.
And the bottles and lids, I just saved up some for a while including a couple of wine bottles and am wondering if they are sealing properly.

I just am feeling so unsure about the way I did it and wondered if someone could go through the process as reading what to do in a book does'nt tell you everything.

korbo, Feb 10, 9:41pm
I only heat my bottles in oven at around 50-100.
I often leave the sauce in pan for 10-20mins to cool a little, before putting in bottles.
Just put the plastic caps on, and in the cupboard. Only store in fridge the bottle I am using at present.
In saying that, I remember my late mum used to make it by the flagon, and then put so much in one of those round tomato plastic things, and that just stayed in the cupboard.

Why is it that everything these days, says on label to store in the fridge once opened.!

linette1, Feb 10, 11:57pm
Thanks for your comment korbo.

korbo, Feb 11, 12:48am
forgot to say, i put the lids on when sauce is truely cold.
and only use glass.

linette1, Feb 11, 2:05am
Don't know what to do with this lot but the next lot,thanks to you,I will be happy with.

fifie, Feb 11, 2:24am
Linette sounds like your sauce will be fine, i'd take it out of the fridge and sit them in the pantry or cupboard, forget about them for a while assitting improves the flavour. Next lot as others have said, fill bottle not quite to the top so lid dosen't touch it either by funnel or a little jug makes it easier, put lids/corks onwhile still warm, wipe bottles of any spills let cool and put them away. I don't keep mine in the fridge and usually make plum,tomato, and apricot sauce every year.

linette1, Feb 11, 3:15am
Great fifi,I am writing this down for next year.

iman007, Feb 11, 3:21am
heat oven to 100 deg, thats the temperature water turns to steam and disappears.I whizz my plum pulp and bottle it straight away, put caps on finger tight, then about 10 mins later hand tight, and then i leave mine on decking til cool enuff to handle and store in garage.Refrigerate once opened. my plum sauce is heaven my daughter says.

linette1, Feb 12, 4:05am
Thanks for those tips too iman07.

punkinthefirst, Feb 13, 11:43pm
I use "stubbies", pinched from my Grandsons when they've finished the beer. I wash them, then sterilize them with metabisulphite, as for wine-making, then rinse with boiling water. I bottle the sauce hot, then cap them with sterilized, new, beer caps (my late husband had a capper for his home brew). I've never had a failure.
If your recipe has enough acid in it and you have cooked it for long enough, you are unlikely to poison anyone.