2 cups malt vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
Ginger, 5cm piece peeled and bruised

Combine plums, sugar, vinegar and 1/2 cup Port wine) in large saucepan
Stir over heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved
Tie cloves, cinnamon, star anise and ginger in piece of muslin and add to pan
Bring to boil and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for approx. 45 mins or until thick.
Discard muslin bag.
Pour through sieve.
Pour into sterilised jars and seal when cold.

This recipe makes approx 3 cups - so worth doubling the recipe IMO
I doubled the recipe when I made it and after comparing this recipe to other Plum Sauce recipes, I added ***1/2 cup Port*** - the sauce was divine!

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 1:00pm
A nice tasting plum sauce recipe which isn't full of spices etc (by the time you buy a packet of 6 different spices just to make 1 recipe it can be quite expensive).

Dead Easy Plum Sauce which makes just over 235mls
Can be served hot or cold with meats.
1/2kg halved/stoned plums
235ml dry white wine
1tblspn cider vinegar
boil together until plums are soft, sieve, boil until thickened and add 2-3 tbsp of honey.

Or double the ingredients and then halve them again after sieving and do one half as above, and to the other half add soy sauce and chilli for a spicier version

pickles7, Jan 4, 7:14pm
http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/plum-saucehot.html
If you enjoy making sauce, you will find other sauces of intrest in my blog.

bev00, Jan 17, 11:35am
Both plum chutney and plum sauce are lovely and red-fleshed plums are the best for both of these as they give a lovely colour. They are both fine made with frozen plums. I stone the plums before freezing as I find that preferable to skimming the stones off when the sauce is cooked.
PLUM CHUTNEY
2 kg plums (preferably dark), 1 kg onions, 1 kg apples, 1200 mls vinegar, 1 kg diced dates, raisins, sultanas, etc., 2 tbspns common salt, 2 teasp ginger, 2 teasp ground allspice, 2 pinches grated nutmeg, 2 pinches ground cloves, 1 kg sugar.
Wash and stone plums and cut in half. Peel and chop onions and apples. Place in a pan with ½ vinegar and cook until soft. Chop dried fruit and add with salt and spices. Continue cooking until thick. Stir in sugar and rest of vinegar. Simmer until mixture thickens again. Bottle.
PLUM SAUCE
2.8 kgs plums halved and stoned, 230 grms onions, 6 dspns salt, 28 grms cloves, 1.4 kgs sugar, 1.8 litres vinegar, 2 teasp ginger, 1 teasp pepper
Boil together for about 1½ hours. Mouli, allow to become completely cold then bottle.

Quotegreerg (237 )2:06 pm, Mon 17 Jan #6

uli, Jan 17, 10:18pm
Plum and Chilli Sauce (best of all)

3 kilos plums, washed, halved and stoned (I simply simmer them slowly with a bit of the sugar so they dissolve, then push them through a colander and weigh out 3kgs),
1.5 litres (6 cups) of white vinegar,
1 1/2 teaspoons salt,
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic,
1 1/2 teaspoons of crushed dried chilli,
1 teaspoon of ground cloves,
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground ginger,
1 teaspoon of ground allspice,
1 1/2 kilos white sugar,

Place the fruit, salt, garlic, chilli and vinegar into the pan and bring to the simmer, cooking until the fruit is pulpy.

Place the spices into a small bowl and mix to a paste with a small quantity of vinegar then add to the fruit in the pan.

Add the sugar and stir until it is dissolved and the sauce reaches a rolling boil.

Boil, stirring frequently for at least 30 minutes and the sauce thickens slightly.

I make this since decades and it is really the best of all.
Leave for a couple of months at least, if properly bottled it can last for years getting better all the time.

uli, Jan 17, 10:18pm
P.S.: I use less sugar.

olwen, Jan 18, 4:35am
You should have the spices already

arboregirl, Jan 18, 10:21am
3kg plums, 1.8 litres malt vinegar, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1.5kg sugar, 2tsp whole cloves tied in a muslin (or similar, calico would do) bag and 4 tsp plain salt. Boil for 2 hours. Strain through a metal colander to remove stones. You will probably need to squish then through a bit.Bottle in hot, sterile jars. Put lids on and tighten. They will seal as they cool. I use Billington plums as that's what we have growing. Dead easy, tastes great and is an amazing colour. Makes 7 x 300gm jars

janzjanz, Jan 31, 5:36am
What would you eat with the plum sauce. !Meat or cheese etc !

korbo, Jan 31, 8:44am
meat, cheese, in casseroles. we have it with fish/chips, savaloys, fritters. Guess we are a *saucy* family. No No is sauce on Venison meat tho.

uli, Feb 1, 12:29am
Corn fritters or courgette fritters must have plum sauce to go with them - or pickled quinces or something similar I find.

Pork is great with plum sauce. Use it where you would tomato sauce.

timturtle, Feb 12, 8:05pm
This is the one I like, as it tastes good and is easy to make.

Plum Sauce

3kg Plums
1200 mls malt vinegar
1kg sugar
2 Tab Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp Mace
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves of garlic chopped

Boil until thick about 1 & 1/2 hours, push through a colander to remove stones.
Makes about 2 & 1/2 litres. Keeps well.

rainrain1, Feb 12, 8:53pm
I have a plum muffin recipe if anyone would like to try them, I haven't yet but makes my mouth water reading it

Plum Muffins
1 - 2 dozen small plums (cooked with some sugar and stones removed) or 6 larger freestone plums halved and stones removed
250g butter softened
200g sugar
pinch salt
4 eggs
350g flour
2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
Prepare 1 dozen muffin pans with paper cups. Heat oven to 200 deg C. Cream the butter, sugar and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating. fold in the sifted flour and baking powder. Don’t overmix. Half fill the paper cups, add some stewed plums or a half uncooked plum. Fill the paper cups with the remaining muffin mix, bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Toothpick test is best to see if they are cooked.