My plum sauce isn`t thickening Help!

spacekids, Feb 27, 9:09pm
x1
First time maker here. looks very runny (the consistency of thin soup. Should I add cornflour or flour or just let it boil. Thanks

pr_chch2, Feb 27, 9:12pm
x1
How long have you boiled it for! I wouldn't add flour or cornflour.
Once you press it through a sieve etc. and get ALL through should thicken up. Boiled mine for over 2 hours.lovely and thick

kateley, Feb 27, 9:14pm
x2
sometimes plums are very watery - keep boiling, don't add anything

spacekids, Feb 27, 9:15pm
x1
Thanks so much. recipie said to only boil for a few minutes. Didn`t think that would be long enough.

pr_chch2, Feb 27, 9:16pm
Simmer and keep stirring regularly.how much sugar in the recipe!

uli, Feb 27, 9:16pm
I use pectin in my plum sauce and it is a nice semi thick but still squeezable/pourable.

pr_chch2, Feb 27, 9:18pm
I read that plums have enough pectin without adding any.depends on recipe I suppose.

spacekids, Feb 27, 9:19pm
3 cups brown sugar

fifie, Feb 27, 9:31pm
x1
Keep it simmering, till it starts to go thick and syrupy,stir often so it dosen't stick to the bottom of the pot. Just made mine and when it was cooked gave it a whizz with the stick blender, and bottled.It will thicken sitting on the pantry shelf over winter.

samsnan, Feb 27, 10:50pm
x1
It does thicken a bit when cold.

spacekids, Feb 27, 10:50pm
Thank you everyone. Now it`s thick and syrupy.

korbo, Feb 27, 11:02pm
usually 2-3hours simmering.

spacekids, Feb 27, 11:28pm
That would be about right. Been on stove since 8.40 this morning

uli, Feb 28, 8:28am
Depends on the plums more than on the recipe. Most European recipes (= English recipes) use prunes not plums.

They are called plums in Europe but here they are called prune plums. As opposed to the Asian plums we have predominantly in NZ.

The prunes are all blue outside, yellow inside, oval not round and free stone and very dry fleshed.

The Asian plums which is the majority you get in NZ are all cling stone, very watery and difficult to "set" as a jam. Hence my use of extra pectin to get a good result.

However you can also simply keep cooking, but you will get much less "amount", as you are basically drying the plums out. Works beautifully if you do not want to use extra pectin. Lower yield though.