Teenage vegetarian visitor help please

Page 2 / 3
blyme_jerv, Jan 14, 6:14am
spanokopitas yum for everyone

buzzy110, Jan 14, 6:46am
I agree.

frances1266, Jan 14, 6:49am
Watch Forks over Knives on utube for evidence vegan diet on is healthier in every way or go to Physicians Committe for Responsible Medicine site.

skiff1, Jan 14, 6:57am
meat

ruby2shoes, Jan 14, 7:02am
alison and simon holst have fab vegetarian recipies.and stuff available near a kitchen cupboard near you!

buzzy110, Jan 14, 7:41am
Can you get hold of some Tempeh! It will roast in the oven, especially the flavoured varieties. Just throw some in a dish to cook ½hr before the chicken comes out.

elsha00, Jan 14, 8:07am
We've got a few vegetarian options on our website if you'd like to take a look =)

http://culinarylove.weebly.com

buzzy110, Jan 14, 9:18am
I just copied this recipe from your site. It looks ideal for what this poster wants as it probably doesn't use anything more than what is already in her cupboards.

French Onion Potato Bake
Lynn's Recipe

Ingredients

5-6 Large potatoes
1 Packet of French Onion soup mix
3/4 Large tub of cream
1 Cup of grated cheese

Method

Dice and boil the potatoes until cooked.
Separately, mix the soup packet mix with the cream and add 3/4 of the cheese.
Strain your cooked potatoes, place them into an oven proof dish.
Pour the French Onion mix over the cooked potatoes and top with your left over cheese.
Place in the oven on 180c for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.

mokaumoi, Jan 14, 9:35am
You can buy a pottle of falafelmix from the deli section of the supermarket. Fry spoonsful in oil . The are yummy, and make a meal with salad.

cgvl, Jan 14, 10:13am
Heres a recipe I use when have vegetarians staying.
Use a tin of canneloni beans, drain and mash.
125g fresh breadcrumbs, 55g ground brazil nuts, 125g grated cheese, 1clove crushed garlic, 1tsp marjoram or oregano, 1tsp dried sage (can use fresh), salt and pepper to taste.
Mix everything together. It is a moist mix. Chill for at least 1-2 hours until firm.
Shape into croquettes or patties. Dip in egg and breadcrumbs (extra). Cook 4-5 mins each side.

You could do a couple for her burger bun and the rest as a meatless loaf type dish to go with the roast. As a loaf you could do a tomato sauce(gravy) to go with it.

toadfish, Jan 14, 10:35am
Good idea. We often have those. delicious, we make ours into wraps using a large pita, salad & yoghurt sauce with sweet chillis and put them in the sandwich press.

otterhound, Jan 15, 4:31am
I'm in the same boat as the op - at short notice have a vegetarian friend coming to stay tomorrow,for 2 nights.Luckily she eats fish, so smoked fish pie and salad one night, and the other night I'm just doing baked potatoes topped with Watties Mexican baked beans and cheese and sour cream.Guess I'll chuck in a salad with that too!

karenz, Jan 15, 4:43am
What about a nice potato or vege bake topped with cheese or a vegetable Lasagna, you could all have those as a side dish with your meat or fish.Could have been worse, she could have decided to be a vegan, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if she is just staying for a few days, this along with the black theme is probably just attention seeking,Ihave seen it before and if nobody makes a huge fuss it either just goes away or if she is really sincere she will learn to choose her own recipes and to cook the herself.

davidt4, Jan 15, 4:58am
Since when did vegetarians eat fish!

destiny6nz, Jan 15, 5:03am
sorry havent read the whole thread.

there is a protein vegetarians eat (looks like mince but its not meat) you can buy it from Binn Inn. A vegetarian relative of mine ate the stuff. I make burgers or meatballs (with onion) in tomato sauce. Tastes ok with lots of flavour.

otterhound, Jan 15, 5:25am
Well I'm b*ggered if I know cos I'm not a vegetarian, however she says she is, and she eats fish,So shoot me.

hezwez, Jan 15, 5:31am
otterhound your friend is a pescetarianism (yes I know it sounds like a religion) or a pesco-vegetarian. basically a vegetarian who eats seafoods, (or possibly just fish) Why should we shoot you!

otterhound, Jan 15, 5:51am
Cheers hezwez - I'm not really into, nor knowledeable about, vegetarians, vegans etc.davidt4's comment seemed a little sarcastic, hence the "so shoot me" remark.Luckily my friend is very easily fed and I think, from memory, she may even eat vegies that have been cooked alongside meat - like roasts for example.Still, like the op, I like to feel as though I'm feeding her properly, and it's a little stressful cos I don't have lots of ideas=)

ruby2shoes, Jan 15, 5:54am
lol., I eat fish and chicken, but no red meat.
I have never called myself vegetarian, other ppl have.

duckmoon, Jan 15, 6:14am
I have a friend who describes her household as 'vegan with meat' yes, you have heard at right.

One of her kids has allergies to milk, and eggs and honey and . (you get the idea).
So vegan with meat is an accurate ( but odd) description of what they eat

duckmoon, Jan 15, 7:06am
I would agree that vegetarians over have a more balanced diet than omnivores.

BUT, I know too many teens (generally girls) how have declared 'I am a vegetarian' but the change they have made to their diet is to remove meat without any other changes. Hence the problem with iron levels

elliehen, Jan 15, 7:17am
For as long as omnivores have been eating everything ;)

punkinthefirst, Jan 15, 8:16am
I second this. Get their book out of the library. It was an eye-opener for me just how delicious the recipes are in their "Meals Without Meat" .
Mexican food is a cuisine with a lot of vegetarian options, as well. Your whole family may enjoy tacos with refried beans, cheese, lettuce and a tomato salsa.

punkinthefirst, Jan 15, 8:18am
TVP (textured vegetable protein)

illusion_, Jan 15, 10:51am
12yr old vege huh! Had that problem once. Sorted it on the first night.

Bbq'd sausages for dinner it was.

There was a slightly tearful "well I'm not going to be a very good vegetarian then" as she tucked in. Problem solved.