Vegetarian Nutloaf?

hefalump2, Jul 12, 10:12am
Does any one have a recipe for a nut loaf please? It was mentioned in Parenting and said that it was like a meat loaf for vegetarians :) I have googled but would like a recipe that someone has tried and knows tastes good iykwim

245sam, Jul 12, 10:52am
hefalump2, I know what you're meaning and I used to have a very yummy peanut-based loaf recipe that our daughter got from her manual training teacher but just where that recipe is now is a mystery however, here's one that's chick pea-based that you might like... . .

"Chick Pea Loaf
3 cup Chick peas 2 tbsp Vegetable oil 2 each Garlic cloves, minced 1 large Onion, chopped 2 each Celery stalks, chopped 2 each Carrots, finely chopped 1/4 cup Tamari 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 each Salt to taste 1/4 tsp Turmeric 3 tbsp Tahini Chick Pea Loaf Preparation: Place soaked chick peas in a pot & cook for 50 minutes to 1 hour, till soft. Drain, save the stock & mash well. Heat oil in large skillet & saute garlic & onions for 5 minutes. Add celery, carrot, tamari, 2 tsp parsley, cumin, salt & turmeric. Saute till vegetables are tender. Add to the mashed chick peas & mix well. Add the tahini & mix well. Place in a large baking pan or two small loaf pans & bake at 375F for 45 minutes. Serve with a salad &/or vegetables on the side. posted by melford"
(from:-
http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=23&t=531 )

Hope that helps. :-))

jaybee2003, Jul 12, 11:44am
x1
I Love this Cottage Cheese Loaf. [And I think it is vegetarian? ] Slices nicely, delicious hot or cold.

2 Medium onions, finely diced, 500g cottage cheese, 2 cups rolled oats, 4 eggs beaten, 6 T oil, 2 T soy sauce or worcestershire, 1 tsp mixed herbs. Mix all together in a mixing bowl, pour into an ovenproof dish or loaf tins, spread mixture about 1 1/2 inches thick, and bake in a mod oven until golden and cooked through [ approx an hour, but check it].

elliehen, Jul 12, 12:00pm
This is one I make too, jaybee2003, but I add a Tbsp of chilli paste.

And yes, it is 'vegetarian'.

The vegetarian comes in many forms:
+ the vegan, strict, who eats no animal products
+ the vegetarian who eats no flesh, but eats milk and eggs (lacto-ovo)
+ the vegetarian who eats no red meat, but eats fish
+ those who like to have two or three meatless meals a week

There's certainly no one-size-fits-all vegetarian creature ;)

ferita, Jul 12, 8:10pm
the vegetarian who eats no red meat, but eats fish

is not a vegetarian

sossie1, Jul 12, 8:15pm
I'm trying to figure this one out as well. Apparently ripping an animal from the sea with a big pointy bit of metal, killing it and sticking it in a can is OK?
(I'm not a veggie by the way)Every veggie I have met eats dead fish

ferita, Jul 12, 8:18pm
Then they are not vegetarians.

Not all vegetarians are vegetarians for animal cruelty reasons. I am a vegetarian and love fishing.

hefalump2, Jul 12, 10:17pm
Thanks for that guys :) (PS, I don't eat fish ;))

pickles7, Jul 12, 10:53pm
Vegetarian Nut Loaf

Preheat oven to 190 deg c, prepare a loaf tin, line it with baking paper.
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan, gently cook for 10 minutes ;
1 ch onion
1 thin sliced leek
2 sticks of celery
225 grams of sl. mushrooms
2 crushed garlic cloves
Add
425 gram can of rinsed and drained lentils
1 cup of mixed nuts [ hazelnuts, cashew, almonds, finely chopped
50 grams of flour
50 grams of vegan, grated cheese
1 medium egg [ or egg substitute ]
salt and pepper
a handful of chopped mixed fresh herbs.

bake 50 - 60 minutes, or untill it is cooked
I made this for my Daughter In-law, it was divine.
Nice cold as well.

elliehen, Oct 21, 6:59pm
A pescaterian perhaps? ? Depends whose definition you accept, and how precise you want to be. Some 'vegetarians' simply avoid eating warm-blooded mammals.

I was suggesting that there are many shades of grey and was trying to counter the inference some people take from the word that there is a one-off person, the 'vegetarian' who touches no animal product, wears no leather, uses cosmetics made without animal-testing etc ;)

jaybee2003 was not sure that her recipe was 'vegetarian'.