Tell me your fav vegetarian recipe

gregg74, Jul 19, 1:09am
I'd love to get a good collection of easy, simple and fairly cheap vegetarian recipes.They have to be simple & easy- I've 3 under 3 & time is of the essence people!Extra marks if your fav recipe uses either a crock pot or rice cooker, has under 10 ingredients & can be prepared in less than 10 minutes.Thanks!

gregg74, Jul 19, 1:11am
Oh and definitely has to be tasty & 'normal' enough to satisfy a meat eating farmer.When I say fairly cheap, just normal meal price - not ridiculously expensive with flash ingredients I should have said.

ruby19, Jul 19, 5:53am
gregg74, do have a browse through the vegetarian thread there are about 7 pages.If using seasonal veg, most should be economical.In my family I am the only vegetarian, but the whole family enjoy my veggie dishes, I do cook/serve meat also.The garden veg pie is a fav, and you could use what is hanging around in the veggie bins in your fridge, also kid friendly. Spinach & cheese cannelloni is also regular a meal. Soups, especially if I whip a batch of scones up to go along side.I had hubbys friends asking about my veggie shepherds pie recipe I took along to a pot luck on Sat evening it has lentils in it so a bit more hearty. I have posted all these recipes in the veggie thread.

gregg74, Jul 19, 6:32am
Thanks you two - will have a browse, cheers :)

antoniab, Jul 19, 8:59am
Any of Rowan Bishops recipes are very good - I especially love the lentil burgers, 10x better than beef burgers imo and Im a meat eater lol

lx4000, Jul 19, 9:02am
Do Not Peel the apples and carrots! Great fiber!!
I also double up and freeze some. Then when visitors arrive and the tins are empty, I have these on hand!
I also grate another double batch of apple and carrot for the next lot. Just have to get it out of the freezer and defrost:) Less time cleaning the food processor!!
Any dried fruit and nut or mix of can be used.
The last lot I made, I made with 1/2 milk and 1/2 oil. Both ways a nice as!

BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

elliehen, Jul 19, 10:55am

juliewn, Jul 19, 2:09pm
If eggs, cottage cheese and cheese are ok to be used, this isquick to mix, pile into a pie dish or another shallow dish, and bake.. it tastes a little like chicken, probably due to the herbs..

Cottage Cheese Flan:

Place the following in a large bowl and stir well together:

1 x 500gm container of cottage cheese - the lite one is fine too
2 eggs
1 cup rolled oats
1 - 2 tsp marmite or vegemite
2 - 3 tablespoons soy sauce
Several sprigs of fresh sage and thyme, chopped, or use1-2 tsps dried mixed herbs
I finely chopped large onion
1 - 2 grated carrots

Mix well together.. pile into a greased pie-dish or shallow baking dish, press the mix down fairly firmly.
Sprinkle some grated cheese on top and bake at 180°C about 40-45 minutes - the time will vary according to how thick the mix is.

Variations:
Use different herbs - parsley, mint, etc..
Add some finely chopped garlic
Add some finely grated fresh ginger
Add a spoonful or two of your favourite relish or chutney
Add other grated or finely chopped veges - celery, kumara, pumpkin, swede, parsnip, sweetcorn, capsicum, etc..etc..
Add some pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds
Sprinkle the seeds, or sesame seeds over the cheese..
Sprinkle dried breadcrumbs over the grated cheese - once the flan is cooked, turn the grill on to brown the top.. the breadcrumbs will help give a crunchy topping..

Enjoy..

gregg74, Jul 19, 8:17pm
Fantastic - these all look easy & yummy!I'll check out the link too thanks elliehen!