The Vegetarian Tips Thread -- vegetarians only

ferita, Jun 21, 6:05pm
This is a thread to share tips with other vegetarians. They can be cooking tips, buying tips or tips on keeping healthy as a vegetarian.

Tip:Include nutritional yeast into your diet as much as you can. It has b12 in it and it is also great for flavoring savoury dishes and stews.

frances1266, Jun 21, 8:42pm
Hi Ferita,
Do you know if all flakey yeast contains B12. I have heard of an American brand that contains it but dont know if it is sold here.
Would be great if it is.

ferita, Jun 21, 9:54pm
Im pretty sure it all contains it. You can sometimes get it at bin inn

buzzy110, Jun 23, 12:20am
Forgive this intrusion but I can add to this thread. Vitamin B is very important as everyone knows. Grains are a great source but as we all know, processing can remove most of them and because of the phytins in grains, they may not be as bio available as they are plentiful in each grain. Therefore one of the best ways of getting extra B vitamins, from vegetarian sources is to make your own, raw fermented vegetables because as microbial cultures go through their life cycles they create the B vitamins folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and biotin.

Unfortunately they don't create B12 so brewer's yeast it is.

If anyone is interested in creating their own fermented cabbage, for starters, then this is the definitive link.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources. php? page=sauerkrau
t

I make 10 litres of green cabbage sauerkraut at the end of every summer when cabbages are no more than $2 for huge ones. I also grow red cabbage and put down about 5 litres. So $10 worth of cabbage will keep a family going with crispy, crunchy salad greens right through winter and all of Spring, till salad harvests come on stream.

Once you have mastered this simple process, you may, like me branch out to other vegetables. The liquid that is created makes a fantastic vitamin filled tonic.

buzzy110, Jun 23, 12:29am
One more thing. Once you have mastered vegetable fermentation, it is not inconceivable that you would want to branch out to fermenting soy. and other legumes and pulses.

"Soybeans are known throughout East Asia as the meat of the fields but they can be difficult to digest. Plain cooked soybeans are notorious for the flatulence and indigestion they cause. Fermentation pre-digests the beans, breaking down complex proteins into amino acids that the human body can more easily absorb. Fermentation is the most effective way to realise the powerful nutritive potential of legumes. When beans are fermented together with grains, the ferment is a complete protein, containing all the amino acids essential to human nutrition".

So even if you don't take up fermenting, then a tip is the find sources of fermented beans.

The information in these two posts come from Sandoor Katz's book, "Wild Fermentation".

buzzy110, Jun 23, 10:16pm
Red Kidney Beans -

Some people may prefer to soak, and cook their own pulses and legumes. It certainly saves money, however, a toxic compound called lectin phytohaemagglutinin is present in many varieties that can only be destroyed with thorough cooking. It is especially concentrated in red kidney beans so you have to be more careful when cooking these at home.

It is best to soak them first for about 5 hours or overnight. If you can change the soaking water at least once (but more than that if possible) that is good. Before cooking, drain the soaking water and replace with fresh water then bring to the boil and boil for at least 10mins, at 100dC longer is better. Discard the cooking water and then cook as normal.

Never eat your red beans raw or under-cooked. It is not a good idea to cook them in a slow cooker because of the toxins.

Don't be put off though because kidney beans are rather nice in many dishes.

chicco2, Jun 24, 1:48am
Baked Pasta with Pumpkin
A little oil
1 Onoin chopped, Garlic to taste
1 Can Tomatoes (Italian flavoured)
400 firm pumpkin. . peeled and chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 C raw spinach or silver beet
250 g Raw tubular pasta
1/2 C grated cheese.
METHOD. . Preheat oven with roasting dish in, to 200
Heat oil in a saucepan and fry garlic and onion for a couple mins, then stir in Canned tomatoes and a little extra water from rinsing the can. Add salt and pepper and stir. Let gently simmer for 25 mins to reduce a little.
Toss pumpkin in oil and season, throw into preheated oven dish and roast for 1/2 hour, turn after 15mins.
Cook pasta till nearly done. Drain and add 1/2 the tomato sauce mix.
Spray a casserole dish and put ½ the pasta and sauce in the dish. Sprinkle with spinach, roast pumpkin and some cheese. Pour over some of the left over tomato mix.
Spread over the rest of the pasta and spinach on top. Then rest of pumpkin.
Pour over the rest of the tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 180 till it bubbles.
Sometimes it needs more liquid, so you can use 2 cans of tomatoes.
Its very tasy. We have 1 vegetarian in the house, and this recipe is adaptable enough to add some meat if needed.

blt10, Jun 24, 4:41am
I look forward to trying this oneabove Chicco2, sounds good.

steph100, Jun 24, 8:10am
me too, thanks!

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 11:15pm
my friend who stayed with me for a while is vegetarian and she made a simple but delicious dinner :) Angel hair pasta and pesto it was fantastic. i like to add parmesan and spinach to mine now but its a great starter i have been thinking some cooked pumpkin and other veges similar will taste great in it too

avlis, Jul 6, 4:51am
Home Brand cheese from countdown uses vege rennet and is half the price of vegetarian cheese.

js15, Jul 6, 5:48am
It used to use vege rennet but they animal rennet now =(

elliehen, Jul 6, 11:28am
Sun Valley Australia make a really tasty 'bacon bits' product - more 'flakes' than bits. I know not everyone likes to make such substitutions, but sometimes that smoky addition to mushrooms or a poached egg makes a palatable difference.

ferita, Oct 6, 9:00am
Vegetarian Fish Sauce
This recipe is fantastic
http://ediblyasian. info/recipes/faux-fish-sauce