Chips in England are they different?

Page 2 / 2
loulou104, Jan 28, 5:24am
I agree figjamto you can't beat my local chippy in England. Bacon is way nicer in England, it crisps up and tastes delicious.

nfh1, Jan 28, 5:27am
The main fish and chip shop difference I notice from UK to NZ is the huge portion sizes here.Fish and chips for two here would be equivalent to the portion for 3 to 4 in the UK.

I do miss good bacon though.

rainrain1, Jan 28, 5:55am
try farmers markets for your bacon, it's pretty good usually, or it is down here .most things tasted better 40yrs ago:-)

superdave0_13, Jan 28, 6:37am
From what I remember the food in fish and chip shops over there were not made to order and the food used to sit in a steamed compartment behind the counter. No waiting time but the chips were always soggy. But good at the same time with lashings of vineger.

If you want a really good chip go over to Holland and check out what the dutch do with theirs. Pindasaus, Mayo, Ketchup. Awesome!

tielfan, Jan 28, 10:01am
Some places cook to order in the UK and others batch fry the chips.Less batch fry than 20 years ago.Certainly most places by bagged precut chips, like here.My Dad had a job at his local chippie in Yorkshire in the early 1940's peeling all the sacks of spuds for the shop owner, who'd chip them.Things change.Best chips for me are from Belgium, mayo all the way and double fried to get them crispy.

westigal, Jan 28, 11:15pm
When I was in Germany a couple of years ago, had the chips and mayo experience, thought it arather strange combination, but was hooked by the time I had finished them. Did it for the kids when we got back and now they are converts. Like hot potato salad .yum yum

daleaway, Jan 28, 11:50pm
I agree about the chips with chipsauce as sold in Germany and the Netherlands. You can buy jars of chipsauce in Dutch shops in NZ. It's almost but not quite the same as mayo.

When I worked in Europe, the best chips I ever ate were in Belgium. Just about anywhere in Belgium, where they cook in oil. The French make a decent job of frites as well. Again, they cook in oil.

The worst chips I ever had were in Northampton, England. Pale, floppy and slimy. But I have had acceptable chips elsewhere in the UK.

snowf, Jan 30, 6:53am
thanks all you lovely people for your recipes on fish batter snowf

sarahb5, Jan 30, 8:20am
I love Japanese mayo (yum yum sauce) on hot chips and there is a Dutch chip stall in Mt Maunganui

grobertson101, Jan 30, 8:39am
japanese mayo is awesome! my favourite sauce

frier, Jan 31, 6:54am
Nobody makes the sausages like us poms, they just can't be beaten,chips just ain't the same either !

nfh1, Jan 31, 8:56am
LOL and with a TM name like that, who could disagree!

When we first came here I bought some Pork sausages from the supermarket, when I got them home I realised they were pork 'flavoured' - I could not believe it!

uli, Jan 30, 4:55am
They cannot source fresh potatoes in NZ !
Wow - what a cop-out!

biggles45, Jan 30, 5:46am
+1.
Yes many do still make their own, my parents are in a small rural village and the F&C shop there does their own as do several others in close by villages, maybe not in big towns though.frozen chips are disgusting - they taste like powdered potato.

No they aren't wrapped in newspaper any more - OSH is in force over there too - sad really, the newspaper was half the fun of it!

nzhuia, Jan 30, 6:17am
I agree Susieq use chefade in deep fryer

timturtle, Jan 30, 8:13am
shop-a-holic wrote:
A couple months of the year, they apologise for using alternatives because they can't source fresh potatoes. So cool!

Probably not so much about not getting them, but price is probably to high. A bit like the cost of kumera lately! Agree home cut chips are far better and our local fish and chip shops made their own when i was a child. They had school children after school run the peeler machine and chip them.

iman007, Jan 30, 8:21am
pretty much the same but when me last there i found a place in midlands on east coast and the chips were sort of soggy and with vinegar, not like we get here were the best i ever tasted by a street, next time im back there im gunna find it again!
I make a pretty good chip, agria spuds cut and rinsed and double fried, mmmm

cookessentials, Jan 30, 10:10pm
Yep, cannot beat haddock and chips with vinegar.

clevercloggs, Jan 30, 10:16pm
When I was a kid growing up, I had an uncle that worked at a dairy factory. He used to bring home huge amounts of butter. He often made us chips fried in butter. They were dreamy. I would never do this now of course but I still remember those home made chips fried in butter.
I've also had chips with a garlic butter sauce dribbled over them and they too were to die for. Not something you would want to eat all the time that's for sure.