What to do with leftover ham!

Page 1 / 3
willow123, Jan 1, 11:17pm
We've always done this too. I've been doing this for 30 years, my parents did it and the idea originally came from my grandparents - nobody has ever had problems with it

gardie, Jan 2, 4:10am
Pasta cabonara - thanks.Was just thinking what I would do with the ham tonight.Had it for New Years Day dinner.Looking forward to some now.

kuaka, Jan 2, 8:13am
So you don't think that it just keeps it moist and feeds the bacteria as one poster suggested!I'm still using my ham which I started over a week before Christmas, and it's showing no signs of deterioration yet.

hunter246, Dec 26, 9:53am
Have quite a bit left, thought of pizzas, ham steaks, sammies, ham and pineapple salad, there must be plenty of other recipies. does anyone have one for a pie or some other main meal idea!Thanks

kuaka, Dec 26, 11:05am
Your ham will keep quite well in the fridge if you wrap it in a baby gauze muslin cloth soaked in lemonade.We keep ours for up to three weeks by adding more lemonade to the cloth every day and then rinsing the cloth about every third day and putting more lemonade on it.

gardie, Dec 26, 5:25pm
Sadly, we finished ours last night.Its such a treat for my gown kids that they pig out on Christmas day then came back yesterday for another Christmas Day type lunch (leftovers).Hubby, I and youngest daughter had Ham for dinner tonight with all the heated leftover veges (all from the garden).It was lovely.Always sad to see the end of the ham though.

gardie, Dec 26, 5:26pm
I should say - maybe it was because it was so nice.Thanks to advice on here, we ordered ours from Havoc Farms.Absolutely delish.

davidt4, Dec 26, 8:08pm
I freeze ham in thick slices.It is great to fry with eggs for breakfast as a change from bacon.

lythande1, Dec 26, 9:27pm
And where did you get this idea! From the acidity of vinegar - therefore lemon has acidity too, but lemonade is sugared water. And won't do anyhting other than keep it wet and feed any bacteria more.

lythande1, Dec 26, 9:28pm
Just freeze it. You can freeze ham, get it back out later on when everyone isn't sick of it.
And next time, don't buy such a big one.

kuaka, Dec 26, 10:30pm
My husband told me that's all his mother used to do, and we've been doing it for the last 20 years and never a problem - ham keeps good as new right down to the last morsel.Don't knock it if you've never tried it.

lurtz, Dec 26, 11:05pm
I found this reference in the following website. Here's the link

www.naturallyorganic.co.nz/christmas.php

Q:How do I store my Xmas ham! . Mix 2 cups of cold water with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a large bowl or lemonade will do the trick as well. - Soak a cloth ham storeage bag(or a clean pillow slip) in the mixture for 2-3 minutes. .

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 11:12pm
yeah, I was always told lemonade or vinegar as well

eastie3, Dec 26, 11:14pm
That's what I do,and fried up the leftover Jersey Bennes along with poached eggs,delicious.

245sam, Dec 26, 11:26pm
hunter246, on the following link is a recipe that you might like to try - it's not a pie as such but a crustless quiche:-

http://www.pork.co.nz/Recipes/RecipeBook/RecipePage/tabid/69/cutID/8/methodID/1/recipeID/162/recipeTypeID/0/RecipeSearch/pie/Default.aspx

Hope that helps.:-))

sjc72, Dec 26, 11:33pm
Cut off big hunks and do ham steaks on the BBQ with pineapple rings. Or pasta cabonarra, pizza.

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 11:49pm
We had the last of the ham on the BBQ this morning, but with loads of teens here it does not last long. Infact all of our christmas leftovers were gone by boxing day lunch.

cookessentials, Dec 26, 11:56pm
Hollow legs!

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 11:59pm
lol yeah. To be fair we are on holiday at the beach atm and they have been hard at work helping build a big bunkroom out the back for all the stray kids we seem to collect and the overflow plus plenty of surfing, volleyball and backyard cricket.

fec2003, Dec 27, 12:03am
Make a "Clanger".

Make a suet pastry crust, flavoured with chopped parsley and a little sage. Roll it out and line the surface with streaky bacon. Then add a layer of sauteed onion and garlc, with more sage. Finally add the ham, chopped into even-sized pieces. Roll up and tuck the ends in. Egg wash and bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until golden.

Serve with Oxfordshire sauce.
1/2 teaspoon english mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar.
Pinch of salt and white pepper.
Cook together until the sugar has dissolved and it has thickened a little - but take care not to boil it as it'll be like toffee! You can add a tablespoon of water if needed.

I make this and just serve it with either a green salad or seasonal veges. It's always a hit!

vintagekitty, Dec 27, 12:33am
thanks fec2003, that sounds nice and I love the sound of Oxfordshire sauce

richard198, Dec 27, 12:40am
We usually make pea and ham soup (using split peas and/or lentils).
Very easy and very filling!

vintagekitty, Dec 27, 12:42am
and very nice too!

fec2003, Dec 27, 3:12am
The first time I made the sauce, I only made half the amount, as a 'dressing'. Afterwards my husband literally licked the bowl clean! So the next time, I made more than we needed. I then reheated it, very carefully the next day and served it on some pan-fried fish. Delicious! It adds a piquancy and really makes a simple meal into something extra special!

The clanger is simply yummy and will serve several hearty appetites. I tend to use about 6 onions and 6 cloves of garlic, softening them really well on a low heat. And there isn't an issue, lining with raw bacon and cooked ham; you assemble it right before baking, and it cooks right through in the time allowed. IF it looks pale or under done, just give it another 10 minutes. (I use my oven at around 180C)

kirstyd, Dec 27, 8:43am
Sheperds pie is the winner here. After the morning fry up and the lunch sandwiches and the bbq steaks for tea, I take off ham and make a sheperds pie. Usually with left over veges and leftover (other) meat (we always have at least 3 different meats for xmas dinner). Good for getting rid of those small amount of leftovers.
And great for reheating for lunch or tea the next day.
The ham gives it a nice salty taste.