What to do with leftover ham!

Page 2 / 3
seniorbones, Dec 27, 9:40am
Thats what I do too and have done so for years, it was also on good morning show in the last week and the chef also said water with vinegar or lemonade,

esther-anne, Dec 27, 9:59am
snap!

We had precisely the same breakfast.Delectable!

kuaka, Dec 27, 10:00am
and lemonade is more than just sugar and water - it's got all sorts of awful stuff in it that should be banned - which is probably why it works!

lavender32, Dec 27, 8:09pm
I'm making a ham & egg pie for tea tonight, instead of bacon & egg.

uli, Dec 27, 8:43pm
bump for the Xmas leftovers

ice-pick3, Dec 27, 10:31pm
fec 2003 - oxfordshire sauce is that prepared english mustard or powder

nfh1, Dec 27, 10:35pm
I wonder why it is called Oxfordshire sauce!Being nosey as I used to live in Oxfordshire.

eastie3, Dec 27, 11:14pm
That's what I do,and this morning I fried up the leftover Jersey Bennes along the ham and poached eggs,delicious.

beaker59, Dec 27, 11:19pm
MMMM 2 day old leftover trifle for lunch mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and a lamb sandwich starting last of the lamb legs I BBQed christmas day.

Ham doesn't really go off in the fridge the moist bag stops it drying out too much the fat will evetually go a little racid but thats all.

fec2003, Dec 27, 11:25pm
If you use prepared mustard, use a half teaspoon. If you use powdered, make up into a paste and check how hot it is. I've not used powdered mustard in this but know there is a difference in the taste! You really can adjust it to your own preference.

Not sure where the name came from, but it's what I've always known it as. It really is delicious and a welcome addition to many combinations! If I've made something and it's missing that certain "je ne sais quoi", a drizzle of Oxfordshire sauce brings it up a notch or three! And it's SO quick to make!

vintagekitty, Dec 27, 11:59pm
lol yeah. To be fair we are on holiday at the beach atm and they have been hard at work helping build a big bunkroom out the back for all the stray kids we seem to collect and the overflow plus plenty of surfing, volleyball and backyard cricket.

edited to say who am I kidding, they eat all the time. !

biggles45, Dec 28, 12:27am
Haven't read all threads so apologies if these have already been suggested:

Pea and ham soup.

Thickly sliced, drizzle with honey, cover tin with foil and warm slowly in oven. Serve with new spuds and veg.

Thickly sliced, grill and serve with mustard or white sauce. Serve with spuds and veg.

Cube and add to a savoury rice (I do cooked rice, add cooked corn, raw chopped onion and stir in 2 tablespoon olive oil mixed with Salt and pepper and juice of 2 limes. Cool and add chopped red pepper and cherry tomato halves. Serve rice at room temp)

kiwitrish, Dec 28, 12:56am
I do this recipe from Delia Smith every year with the left over turkey and ham.Very rich and lovely.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/flan/turkey-flan-with-leeks-and-cheese.html

iriegirl, Dec 28, 2:46am
Ham & cheese croquettes, yumm.

kismet41, Dec 28, 7:18am
Omelettes - pasta sauces - quiche

martine5, Dec 29, 4:54am
I make ham and corn casserole.Saute and onion this goes at the bottom of the casserole, then alayer of chopped ham, then a can of creamed corn, then a layer of frozen peas, a layer of boiled egg, smother with cheese sauce and top with mashed potatoes and a little grated cheese on top.Comfort food - yum

richard198, Dec 29, 6:12am
Just made a meat loaf from left over ham, left over BBQ steak & sausages with bread crumbs etc!

fec2003, Dec 29, 8:25am
THAT would be delicious with Oxfordshire sauce! Heehee!

sarahj1, Dec 29, 6:09pm
Grind it up in food processor and freeze in small quantities for adding to muffins, quiches, pizza etc etc.

cookessentials, Dec 29, 6:17pm
A lovely layered pie.looks a bit like a Melton Mowbray Pie.

richard198, Dec 29, 9:12pm
We had it with onion gravy, but now I'm curious about Oxfordshire sauce!
It's not just mustard sauce (found in Edmonds cookbook) is it!

richard198, Dec 30, 3:45am
Got it. Same as Cumberland sauce and not mustard sauce!

fec2003, Dec 30, 4:01am
Umm - not sure whether it's the same thing at all! I'll have to look up Cumberland sauce!

fec2003, Dec 30, 4:02am
Just looked online and no, it's nothing like Oxfordshire sauce! Sorry! Recipe is on this thread!

Cumberland sauce contains fruit, according to Delia Smith!

richard198, Dec 30, 4:07am
These people reckon it is the same with redcurrant jelly, Orange and lemon zest etc.! I'm confused now!
http://www.food.com/recipe/oxford-sauce-81182