Charcoal bbq question from a recent eucoch.

cantab1971, Dec 26, 7:29am
yes.my testicles are shrinking as we speak, having to ask such advice when a real "bloke" should know this stuff.

The missus convinced me not to buy a gas bbq today, but to spend half the amount on a charcoal one, which i've never used before :(

so.after 3 hours of my life that i'll never get back, i've managed to get the sodding 'briquettes" burning (a whole pack of lethal, chemical smelling white firelighters later).the black chunks all turned red and white, and generated about a kilo-tonne's worth of heat, that subsequently carbonised the outside of the steaks and left the inside red and bloody (which the missus hates - revenge is sweet).

my question - can I try to light fire to these sorry looking dustry "brickettes" again tommorow night, or do i have to but another $12 bag of them!

cookessentials, Dec 26, 7:57am
Eunuch. Have not used a charcoal bbq in years. I would say you would be looking at another bag of briquettes.

uli, Dec 26, 8:25am
Seems like a lot of hard work "eunuch" - I simply start a normal log fire in my BBQ (no need for any "dusty" things) - then watch it burn down with either my own feijoa wine, or my own cider or even some beer . so after about two hours or more of lovely conversation we grill whatever we wanted to grill and serve it up with lots of salads. And man - does it taste fantastic - no way I would ever go to the "gas" one - might as well cook my meat in a fry pan - no taste whatsoever of charcoal! Take heart and do a normal outdoor fire! No need for any substitutes :)

knowsley, Dec 26, 8:27am
I just reuse what is left over previously. Also, look at getting a "chimney starter" - makes life a bit easier.

cantab1971, Dec 26, 8:47am
thanks folks.after another inspection it seems that any re-use is out the question as the small bricks have smouldered their way into oblivion.

this can't be right!. 12 bucks a throw!

cheeseepoof, Dec 26, 10:11am
Definitely look at getting the chimney starter, you cant reuse but you don't need to use a whole bag to cook a few steaks, possibly check out a website http://www.barbecuebible.com

beaker59, Dec 26, 11:13am
Personally I don't use brickettes I use charcoal its better tasting and easier some charcoal is better than others just try different ones til you find one you like. The chimney things are good though charcoal is allot easier to start than brickettes. My brother is a brickette user and he starts them with a gas torch. I use meths to light my charcoal which works well. If I had more space and time I would use wood like Uli does.

I use a Webber kettle BBQ if you can master it they are the best type of BBQ tomorrow I am doing a 6Kg pork roast for a family get together.

nala2, Dec 26, 7:01pm
I have a chimney starter and they are very good but what I found worked better was hot air gun or a hair dryer directed at the first glowing pieces.

cantab1971, Dec 27, 7:54am
another bag of charcoal tonight to get it going. clearly I have zero skill in this area, it would be cheaper to eat out each night. bbq now for sale :)