Before the birds get all my plums.

kismet41, Dec 26, 5:43am
does anyone have any good recipes for jam, chutney, sauce!I'm determined to make use of at least half the tree before the birds clean up the other half. which of course are all coming ripe at once

kismet41, Dec 26, 6:04am
Thanks heaps - some of those look like starters

cookessentials, Dec 26, 6:12am
You are welcome. I am sure you will find something suitable.

griffo4, Dec 26, 6:53am
We just pick each day and put them whole in the freezer and then pull them out and use them as we want
You can take them out and make jam or anything else and they stay freeflow we do this every year
Our neighbour makes wine from plums out of his freezer and it is very nice

cookessentials, Dec 26, 7:01am
Yes, that's what we did with ours a few years back when they produced bagfuls.

kaddiew, Dec 26, 10:01am
I've just made this recipe ( can't recall where i got it from) and it turned out fine.

Plum Sauce:
4 lbs Plums
1 1/2 lbs sugar
1 tsp ground Cloves
1 tsp ground Ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper (I used 1/2 tsp)
2 pints vinegar
2 ozs Garlic
Boil for 2 hours. Skim off stones. Put through sieve (I just whizzed it all) and bottle airtight.

kismet41, Dec 26, 9:29pm
Fantastic - good thing I cleaned out the freezer a few weeks ago :-)

cookessentials, Dec 26, 11:26pm
Blast, I sat here and typed up a lovely French plum tart recipe and it disappeared.never mind, will try and post later.

cookessentials, Dec 26, 11:29pm
Ooops, no I didn't, it was on the other plums thread so will copy it here

If you have any left over fresh plums. why not make a fruit tart!
125g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
2 eggs plus one extra egg yolk
60ml brandy
2 tbsp plain flour
200g ground almonds
600g ripe plums, halved
2 tsp milk
Sour Cream Pastry:
200g chilled, unsalted butter - chopped
300g plain flour
80g sour cream.
For the pastry, pulse the butter, flour and a pinch of salt in processor till it is like breadcrumbs. Add sour cream and pulse till dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in glad wrap and chill for 20 mins.
Place butter and caster sugar in processor and whizz for 5-6 mins. scraping down side of bowl as you go. Once it is thick and pale, add eggs, one at a time, whizzing well after each addition. Add the brandy and whizz for 1 minute to combine. Add flour and almond and pulse to combine. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface into a circle about 30cm in diameter and about 5mm thick. Place on the tray or a pizza tray. Spread almond meal mix over tart base, leaving a 5cm border. Arrange plums on top,cut side down. Fold over pastry edge to meet the filling and gently press down to seal. Chill for 20 mins. Preheat oven to 190C Beat the egg yolk,milk and pinch of salt together with a fork, then brush over the pastry edges. Bake for 40-45 mins until pastry is golden and plums are soft. Dust with caster sugar, cut into slices and serve while warm.

fec2003, Dec 27, 3:26am
OT - but thank you for sharing with the birds! Keep a watch for Kereru in an inebriated state - they do tend to over-indulge and sit with the fruit fermenting in their crops - then fly under the influence and end up in rehab! (those in the lower south island, coming to Project Kereru, and my tender ministrations!)

rainrain1, Dec 27, 5:52am
Oh you are that wonderful person I have read about in the ODT, to be admired.What would the pidgy's do without you

fec2003, Dec 27, 7:25am
I am one of the team. Nik started the project, I got involved when the aviary was relocated about 6/7 years or so ago. I tend not to stand in the limelight! I'm more 'behind the scenes!'

cookessentials, Dec 27, 7:51am
No less important though. We used to get two or three kereru that would play "tag" on our property when we were living rurally.such beautiful birds.

terraalba, Dec 27, 8:14am
The wind got my plums for the last two seasons. Seems like the weather is turning bad so I wait.

beaker59, Dec 27, 8:44am
Yeah me too looks like a big wind coming at the wrong time again hoping for a few though still a week or two before mine are fully ripe.

rainrain1, Dec 27, 7:55pm
Have had three kereru smack clean through my large windows over the years, they flew free afterwards so I don't know what happened to them after a knock like that. die I suppose.I have noticed some on the local walking tracks that become quite used to people and sit very near to the path.I was priviledged to see flock of 100 or more fly off the broom bushes and into some trees once, an awesome sight.

fec2003, Dec 28, 12:03am
If that happens still - any birds - do check listings here on TMe for window alert decals. We sell them. They help prevent window strike for ALL birds. And yes, sadly in some cases, the bird will die. If you see one has hit, do try to find it and get to the Vet. They break bones and rupture their crops, which cause lingering (and often preventable) deaths . . .

cookessentials, Dec 28, 1:14am
We had that happen with one.killed himself outright, left his imprint on the glass, you could see where he had pulled up short leaving the imprint of the side of his head on the windw, it was so sad.