Coconut oil - does anyone cook with it??

Page 41 / 42
hawthorn11, Mar 6, 9:51pm
I have just reread on of the links on page one. I'm going to start taking CO. I bought a 500gm jar for $20 from a chemist. I eat healthy food very little red meat, low carb and lots of fruit and veges.
I"m aiming for general well being, but any weight loss would be an added bonus.

uli, Mar 6, 11:12pm
Why is "very little red meat" = healthy!

runeaholics, Mar 16, 6:47am
I've heard that there's quite a few reports on red meat not being as healthy as the media says. and stuff like milk and meat.

But back on topic! I wanted to ask: can coconut oil can assist in curing colds and preventing them!

hawthorn11, Mar 16, 9:14am
The reason why I eat very little red meat is that I don't like the texture or taste nor can I stand the smell of lamb or mutton being cooked it just aboout turns my stomach.

maxwell.inc, Mar 16, 9:21pm
Yes it can. but I am not going to hunt thru all my info to tell you as I find no one learns that way :o). now you know it can. start reading on the topic. all the info you seek is available thru google

uli, Mar 17, 12:14am
There might be some underlying problem (and I mean that very seriously) which could be either already physically or still mentally - so I would be trying to check that out before it goes any further and you find yourself in a position that you cannot ingest enough protein to feed your muscles and so lose muscle.

buzzy110, Mar 17, 5:52am
runeholics & hawthorn - I'm 100% with uli on this one. You need to google to find out exactly why the meat from cows and sheep is vital to your well-being. Here are just some notes to help you:

Amino acids. These are the building blocks for cell repair and health. We cannot make them ourselves. Ruminant animals (those with more than one stomach - cows, sheep, goat, bison, etc) have the ability to turn their vegetarian food into amino acids. We need to eat these fully formed amino acids for our health.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid(CLA)- This is found in significant amounts in the fat of beef, lamb and the meat of other ruminants as well as full fat dairy products. It inhibits the growth of human breast cancer (vegetarian women have a higher percentage of breast cancer) along with malignant melanomas, colorectal and lung cancer. It lowers LDL (the bad cholesterol) and is good for the heart.

Due to the negative publicity about red meat and dairy products, consumption has dropped to well below what was eaten 20 years ago yet, not only has the incidence of cancer, obesity, heart and cardiovascular disease not dropped, it has soared to unprecedented levels and heart and cardiovascular diseases have become the number one cause of premature death and the leading illness of the western world.

Makes you think doesn't it!What the Medical profession has been telling us to avoid for the past 60 years is the very food we need to keep us fighting fit and healthy.

maxwell.inc, Apr 15, 4:26am
Ok I am again being shown what an awesome product Coconut oil is!

And I suggest everyone put a small pot of food grade VCO in their first aid kit!

On Friday last week I cut the tip of my little finger off, took the nail and about 3mm of flesh with it just above the bone.

we are at day 6 in the healing and I have been using a little blob of CO straight on top of the wound then dressing it as per normal and wrapping it in Co-Adhesive bandage.

And what I am seeing is finger tip growing back. right before my eyes, its pink and its healthy and its healing and growing from the outside inwards . I have seen and helped other ppl heal similar wounds in my life and never have I seen what I am seeing here. its bloody amazing.

uli, Apr 15, 5:00am
Haha maxwell.inc - just shows you are a reptile really - growing back the limbs :)

Good luck in growing back the little finger - I have done a similar feat years ago but didn't have CO then - so used my trusted old cod liver cream. Same thing - straight onto the wound very thickly - looks good now.

maxwell.inc, Apr 15, 5:27am
Its great eh uli. I wouldn't want to try and grow a whole new finger thou! lol

But everything I have read I have pretty much confirmed in person now regarding what CO can do. they really should start using it in hospitals. but then big pharma might miss out so we cant have that lol

buzzy110, Apr 19, 5:48am
Was in Huckleberry Farms shop today and lo, what did I behold, but creamed coconut. Remembering that maxwell couldn't buy any due to circumstances I thought I'd get some.

Now for my report.

There was quite a deep layer of coconut oil on the top. I don't know if it had separated out of the coconut meat due to the heat we have been experiencing lately, or whether that is how it is supposed to be.

Anyway, I spooned out some of the coconut oil so I could access the meat. It is very hard so I had to sort of hack at it with a knife but it is definitely worth all the effort. It tastes very, very similar to coconut ice without all the sugar and carbs. In fact, I was rather pleased I hadn't made more effort to get at it because it's pretty difficult to stop eating it. It tastes quite sweet.

Carbs are 13.2 per 100g or 1.98 per 15g (tspn). It has 0 Sugars.

Recommend it for little treats and has probably joined my other 2 dessert/treat ideas that I think of as OK. One of those is bark made with stevia and coconut oil. lol

maxwell.inc, Apr 19, 5:53am
Mines on the way buzzy. and yep it has on the website (zenians anyway) that it can separate in hot weather. just give it a stir and if its too hard to stir. pop in warm water for a few then stir. mine should be here tomorrow!

Overseas its sold in blocks like butter. which would be easier than in a jar. then u could just carve off a chunk and eat.

I will be eventually ordering some of their cocoa butter too (looks to nice to pass up!)

ningnz, Apr 19, 6:01am
sounds yummy as. didnt put it on my order, but am def thinking bout it! coconut oil hurry up :)

buzzy110, Apr 19, 9:55pm
I think Zenian were being a bit economical with the truth. I soaked mine in hot water which melted the oil but only slightly softened the coconut meat. I had to dig it all out, mash with a fork as best I could, then blend with my stick blender. I have it setting in the fridge as I write. I wonder if I shouldn't have added some cocoa while I was at it!

However, this stuff is delicious. I put some in husband's fruit smoothie. It was the crack of dawn and he's never hungry then so it is liquid for him. He raved about it so all's good in this household at least.

maxwell.inc, Apr 20, 9:43pm
YUM

Creamed coconut
Coconut Oil (phili only)
and Coconut flour.

all for me!

And a box for the cat hes already nicked off with it.

Buzzy

I got instructions (and recipes) with my jar.

"Mixing in the oil

When you get your jar it will probably be in in 2 layers, with a layer or oil at the top.You need to mix it together before using it.Put your Jar in warm water until the cream layer softens, then mix it together with a knife.Or even better, once its soft enoughto scrape out of the jar, put it all in a food processor, and zizz till smooth.Then pour it back in the jar."

I shall do that. but I'll put it thru my cake mixer. that way I can get some air into it and make it lighter. then split it into 2 jars.

Oh cool! (I am at the bottom of the box now lol) I got a big printed out book of recipes to use the coconut flour as well! and theres a recipe in there for fijoa crumble using it so since my husband is a fijoa fiend this will be my first coconut flour experiment!

maxwell.inc, Apr 21, 12:17am
Ok my Creamed Coconut is back how it should be, nice and creamy. let it sit in a bowl of hot/warm water for a few hours. cream portion was still pretty hard but I just chipped it up in the bowl and put it on high in the cake mixer (dont have a processor big enough for the job) until it was smooth again. back in the jar.

I do not recommend shoving a spoon full in your mouth! as it will gum your mouth up worse than peanut butter LOL

Three thumbs up! tastes brilliant.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 1:05am
Yes it does taste brilliant doesn't it! Just wanted to know what you will be thinking of doing with your coconut butter! I saw some in the shop but as it didn't come with any ideas for using I didn't buy.

The organic shops in Auckland also have cocoa butter. I was wondering if anyone had tried this in food. The only recipes I could find were for cosmetics. The blurb says just to add to ice cream and similar but didn't get specific.

I was thinking that it may be rather nice in my new found favourite food - creamed coconut or even added to coconut oil bark.

maxwell.inc, Apr 21, 1:15am
Personally I am just going to eat it off a spoon like any other nut butter Buzzy. for the simple reason that its expensive (for us) so to add it to other things seems waste full.

However! the creamed coconut/butter came with recipes as well. one for a chocolate spread, one for home made chocolates (also uses the cocoa butter) and quite a few others.

Check out Debs blog buzzy, she has a few ideas on there using most of their products (oil,cream,cocoa butter, coconut flour etc)

http://dietnet-recipes.blogspot.com/ and on this page. Raw cocoa powder and Cocoa butter (among other things)http://www.frot.co.nz/nature/other_foods.htm

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 1:25am
Just dashing so haven't this all properly.
What's the difference between coconut cream and creamed coconut!

maxwell.inc, Apr 21, 1:29am
Creamed has more of the meat in it daz so its considerably thicker. its SO bloody nice. its like a really loose almond butter in texture (but smoother) and sticks to the roof of your mouth REALLY well if you try to scoff to much at once.

Check the sites I posted above. especially the nature foods site with the food products (frot) go to the coconut products page.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 3:52am
I too had that question till I bought some. Coconut cream is a liquid and obtained from the grated and pressed flesh of the coconut. Creamed coconut is coconut meat that has been ground to very fine. It still appears to retain a lot of moisture because it clumps. I'm just guessing here, but I have read that coconut oil is extracted from this meat. Well in this case, the coconut oil is not extracted it is beaten in - 'creamed' and sold to aficionados like myself.

Maxwell is obviously keeping hers out of the fridge, but mine is back in the fridge and is reasonably solid. I chip at it with a knife and eat the bits that break off. However, this is just my first jar. I have big plans for my creamed coconut because it is just delicious.

Like I said in an earlier post it is similar to coconut ice in taste.

maxwell.inc, Apr 21, 4:06am
Mine is in the pantry yes. and since I have beaten the coconut oil back into the hard meat portion, its now come back to room temp (from sitting in warm water so I was able to recombine it) and its the consistency of a thick peanut butter. leaves lovely perfect spoon holes where i have been digging in the jar hehe

maxwell.inc, Apr 21, 5:27am
*smooths over the spoon holes so no one sees how much is missing*

lets just say I ain't having dinner tonight ! lol

uli, Apr 21, 5:46am
Creamed Coconut is the pure, unsweetened coconut flesh from a fresh, mature coconut. It's dehydrated, then ground to make a semi-solid creamy-white paste. It can be diluted with hot water to make coconut cream (especially useful if you only want a small amount and don't want to open a whole tin).

It can be used in any recipe that calls for coconut butter (which is very similar, just a little lower in fibre). It makes fantastic sugar free sweet treats like fudge, chocolate and healthy snack bars.

Suitable for low carb diets (1.22 grams net carbs per 15 gram serving)

maxwell.inc, Apr 26, 2:46am
Yep. its just a shame that its not edible quality (even thou they state it is) perfect for cosmetic uses however (which is what they have the majority of the contract for at the body shop)