Coconut oil - does anyone cook with it??

Page 42 / 42
maxwell.inc, Apr 26, 2:48am
I love it! LMAO. must be good then eh.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 26, 8:25am
Buzzy - how chocolatey does the cocoa butter taste!
I missed that bit on Country Calendar!

buzzy110, Apr 26, 10:12pm
I'm unsure about the Country Calender program. Are you sure they weren't talking about Coconut butter as opposed to cacao/cocoa butter.

I will describe it. It is the same stuff they make chocolate out of. The organic, virgin pressed product purchased from health food shops is white and looks for all the world like broken bits of unappetising soap. It melts at a very low temperature. It tastes like a mix between unsweetened chocolate and hard fat, which it is, so not that appealing on its own.

However, creamed coconut, on the other hand has a sweetish, coconut oil, sort of coconut flavour. When the two are mixed by melting and then setting, the result is a mild white chocolate flavour with a similarly mild coconut flavour.

I have absolutely no doubt that if one added sugar, it would taste like the chocolate that has been the downfall of many a diet.Without it, well the flavour is less chocolatey but it had an identical texture.

As I have now trained myself to not feel much desire for sugar my taste buds quite like my new chocolate, coconut mixture. I make about 80grams and it takes about 3 days of hard out eating to finish it. Would take longer if less determined. lol

maxwell.inc, Apr 26, 10:27pm
No not the same coconuts :o). different regions of the world have different . Hmm sub species if u will. of coconuts. Philippine coconuts taste the nicest and yield the nicest oil. it also has a bit to do with the processing. The Samoan processing shown on C/C was pretty crude and not hygienic in my eyes. but perfectly fine for an oil used for cosmetics and soap making.

bootsnall1, May 15, 10:18am
I have been reading this thread with interest, please can someone tell me is it the coconut cream or the coconut oil that you take.Do you take it as a supplement!

bedazzledjewels, May 15, 7:31pm
I add coconut oil to hot drinks or fry with it and I use coconut cream everyday in food too. And now I make a delicious snack (thanks Buzzy) using creamed coconut which is different to coconut cream. I've also got coconut flour which I need to use more.

bootsnall1, May 15, 9:10pm
Is zenian a good brand of coconut oil and creamed coconut to buy and do you need both!

uli, May 15, 9:14pm
I have just tried a new coconut cream from Thailand - absolutely wonderful. It comes in a 1 liter UHT package. The writing is all in Thai, and this is the website:
http://www.ampolfood.com/apf/ Sadly cannot read it LOL :) But found it at the wholesalers here:
http://www.oriental.com.au/Products/index.aspx!pc=HCCC1

Can very highly recommend it - it has 17.5 % fat (and solids) rather than the measly 9% of the tinned stuff from the supermarket.

bedazzledjewels, May 15, 9:16pm
Bootsnall just start with coconut oil and if you enjoy it, you might like to try the creamed coconut which is a bit sweeter and a bit like eating coconut ice - without all the sugary sweetness.

bootsnall1, May 15, 9:21pm
thanks for that bedazzled.Where is the best place to buy!

maxwell.inc, May 15, 10:21pm
Yes - Philli one only thou - but do try the thai so u know (they do sample jars for $2) I have put the links all over this thread.

Its my preferred brand now.

shirley16, May 16, 12:29am
I have read with interest on the cocoanut oil.I am on the scd diet for ulcerative colitis, so will start using it for my frying instead of oil.I am not too sure of it off the spoon or in my smoothies and hot drinks though.
I expect that is for weight loss.
More people need to know about bad foods.

maxwell.inc, May 16, 12:56am
Gosh no. honey is not health its 55% fructose

Stevia is cheap for the amount you use (even cheaper if you import it like I do)

buzzy110, May 16, 2:08am
Shirley. I met a wee Filipino girl yesterday. She saw me buying my coconut oil and wanted to know what is was. After satisfying herself she told me that 'back home' they had a teaspoon of coconut oil every day as a health supplement. She was brimming with vitality and is as slim as a rake.

bootsnall1, May 18, 5:36am
my coconut oil arrived today, can't wait to try it.is the consistency meant to be firm!

beaker59, Jun 9, 6:55am
I melted mine in a jar of hot water then poured into jars with lids then keep it in the fridge it is hard but a spoon frees enough for each time I use it. I worry about it going rancid though it hasn't happened yet. I do find it smokes well if it gets hot but it looks more like oil vapour than burning.

maxwell.inc, Jun 9, 9:26am
a quick read up (education) on coconut oil will let u in on the secret that CO does not go rancid.

Most of the time the smoke is burning. as the Virgin CO's that most use in this thread contain particles of 'meat' so those solids do burn.When they speak of the smoke point of CO its using the refined stuff not virgin.

Its in everyones best interests to fully understand anything you consume, wipe on your skin, or live with in your environment. And you can only do that by reading all the info out there as opposed to being on the band wagon.

p_rock, Jun 9, 9:38am
Unscented coconut oil sent from Samoa in a 700ml coke bottle is :S, lol. does the job though.

Don't need to put it in the fridge, it hardens on it's own in a cooler climate like NZ's. In the summer it would stay runny-ish because of the heat.

spandow, Jun 21, 7:24am
I purchased a jar last week from Ceres.it's almost all gone! So yummy, and definitely noticed a decreased appetite which is great! Downside lots of pimples this week but that may not be due to the CO. Will be getting some from JA this week.

trademequeen, Jun 30, 11:31pm
I have been using the zenian coconut oil for the past 6weks.I am till slowly building up my consumption of it though.At the moment I take 2 teasp off the spoon (1 morning and 1 afternoon), cook with it and use it on my faceas a moisturiser and eye make up remover.Also as a hand cream. A little goes a very long way.I keep a small container (taken from my larger 50ml one) in the bathroom. Sometimes I will add a teasp to my coffee.My skin has never been better and I am losing weight without trying :)I also follow a lot of what is recommended on the better bods website such as changing to whole milk (the grey top one) and using only butter or olive oil as other fats in my diet. Also I am slowly changing my use of personal & household products over to those which do not ontain any 'nasties'.I know this isn't for everyone but for me with arthritis & fibromyalgia I feel the more "natural" I can be can only be beneficial.This all really started from a visit to a health talk by Phillip Day when I was in Australia on holiday.Just google his name and you should come up with what he has to say.Also the better bods dot co dot nz website should answer any other questions you may have. I am a real fan :)
It was great to stumble on this thread. Good health to you all :)