Coconut oil - does anyone cook with it??

Page 40 / 42
uli, Dec 5, 6:49am
So you never had it with JA's! Don't want to get stuck with a carton of "scratchies" - must order next week, as all the better tasting ones are getting low here now and Chantals is only useful for baking really.

I am asking as even the Ceres CO that was fine until two days ago has now started being scratchy. I wonder if it has something to do with it getting so hot up here - it was very soft in the jar - wonder if the heat does it!

maxwell.inc, Dec 5, 7:23am
Have you tried JA's yet Uli! if not just try one jar first. might be the best idea - and no I have never had the scratchies with JA's. I have tried one other brand that I didn't get the scratchies from either. and the only thing that I can say for sure that is similar is, the ones that give me the scratchies are bitter smelling, the ones that don't are sweet/fresh coconuty smelling.

and I have been reading about ppl who use CO in the hotter climates for supplementation, they all recommend keeping it in the fridge, apparently it makes it taste sweeter as well (when eaten cold I guess)

And as its barely gone over 20deg down here. I can't answer if the heat does it mines still solid in the pantry lol

uli, Dec 5, 7:34am
Yep - I think I will try 1 jar first - and then see how it goes. We had close to 28 degrees the other day (27.8) and indoors it was about 30 !
This morning it was still over 20 degrees, but has cooled down over the day - 16.5 at the airport right now :)

maxwell.inc, Dec 5, 7:56am
Ugh I don't think I could manage in that heat. Most Fibro peeps do better in the warmer weather. I find it actually makes me worse, so I am quite grateful for our funky weird freezing coldness down here this year lol

ha! I just checked the weather temp here.

Actual

12.9°C

Levin

Feels like 12°C : 2 layers of clothing

Data updated 8:56pm 4 December 2009

In my case. 2 layers of clothing,1 layer of blanket and 2 layers of cats LOL

buzzy110, Dec 7, 2:27am
Bought a jar of Zenian. Have now done a taste test on all three - JA's, Ceres Virgin Cold Pressed, and Zenian. Quite frankly, they all taste the same and I, personally would be happy to recommend all of them. I saw Celebes too but I am not buying anymore till I run out of what I have.

Also I would like to point out that there may be a difference in taste between the Ceres virgin cold pressed and the Ceres blue label. I have no experience of the blue label one.

winnie15, Dec 7, 3:51am
Uli yeh i know the scratchie throat your talking about. I don't have it with JA's CO tho.

buzzy110, Dec 8, 3:51am
Well knock down with a feather. So it is. Serves me right for just not bothering to read the name on the label. I read everything else though!

maxwell.inc, Dec 10, 11:15pm
Interesting Observation from my husband re being off the CO

He gets quite a few scratches on his skin from his job and hes noticed since we've not been consuming the amount of CO that we were, that his scratches are taking longer to heal and staying inflamed longer than they were while on the CO.

just an interesting observation for the geeks out there lol

buzzy110, Dec 11, 1:28am
Having a spot of bother getting horizontal again maxwell and your chicken didn't even have feathers on it. Those frozen chickens really take the wind outa my sails.

On a much more serious note (vegos better not read this as you will be extremely offended), like winnie,I too am finding that Ceres virgin cold pressed oil has an unfortunate effect on one's disgestive tract. Good if one is a bit 'gummed up' (another euphemism for the vego brigade) but that is not a condition that relates to me.

maxwell.inc, Dec 11, 1:36am
How much are you eating and what brand buzzy!

Winnie couldnt eat Ceres at all without getting the squits. (If I am remembering names right) but shes fine on the Celebes. Apparenly its normal for most it just means your eating a little too much (or the wrong type) and to cut back until your bodies a bit more used to it.

jubre, Dec 11, 1:58am
I have just ordered another jar from John Appleton today. Have you guys looked up his articles on the right side of his home page, I think they are new. It is under the 'Are Vitamins killing us' Have a read of the 'Tax on Poison Butter' (just under that) and third one up from the bottom is 'Oils & Fats'

winnie15, Dec 11, 6:49am
LOL.She means the 'squirts' .you all knew that right!!

maxwell.inc, Dec 11, 8:28am
Oh yeah sorry squits is my lingo LMAO. means squirty s**ts - squits! haha *creeps back into my corner*

uli, Dec 11, 9:38am
Hope tomorrow will be a better day for you maxwell.inc :)

buzzy110, Dec 11, 7:54pm
Oh dear. All this talk of bodily functions. Just remember to keep using euphemisms because using the proper words brings another poster on these boards out in a righteous rash of pretend indignation.

I had a lovely smoothie made with coconut cream, organic blueberries, banana, freshly juiced orange, yoghurt and about a 'heaped' teaspoon of Ceres CO and felt the effects some 5 hours later when I had to make a mad dash from my garden. Hadn't had that problem with the other brand.

Mind you, there is quite a bit of roughage in that smoothie so maybe I'll reserve judgement till I experiment a bit more.

maxwell.inc, Dec 11, 8:02pm
and also buzzy dont forget that in the coconut cream its about 30% oil as well. so if you had say 100ml then you added another 30ml oil by way of the CO cream. but yeah winnie had troubles with Ceres so its not unlikely that others might as well, i cant for the life of me eat the chantals one. even in baking, that one causes reflux while Celebes is fine. I do want to try the zenian one thou.

maxwell.inc, Dec 11, 8:18pm
thumbs up so far . Might hit the library now and fossic for books, MIL wants to read one of mine, but I don't want her cracking the spine! so I will get the copy out of the library for her LMAO

uli, Dec 11, 9:08pm
Sounds like my girl :)
I HATE it when I lend out books and people read them like a magazine and I get them back with corners folded over and the front all crumbled up cause they had them at the beach .

maxwell.inc, Dec 11, 9:22pm
haha, I got both books out for her . both 500+ pages. handed them to her and the look on her face was priceless. "um how long can i Have them out she says. 3 weeks I say. oooh she says *worried look* . LMAO I had both those polished off in a week!I doubt she will get to far into them, they are a bit of a thinkers book, might be a bit of a challenge.

uli, Dec 12, 5:04am
Which ones maxwell.inc !

yachtie3, Dec 12, 5:59am
Shit, a 5 hundy for the taking!

maxwell.inc, Dec 12, 7:54am
Hilary Butler - Just a little Prick & From one prick to another.

uli, Dec 12, 8:32am
Looks like very interesting books maxwell.inc

maxwell.inc, Dec 12, 8:36am
Extremely interesting, and very relevant to this country, being written by a NZ couple, shocking and eye opening. good book(s) that sums up 25 years of research, nice to have everything in ONE place and a HEAP of references so you can take it further if you wish.

tessie2, Dec 14, 10:21am
I'm going to Perth in a couple of weeks.Going to try the Tropical Traditions VCO while I'm there.Their website reviews are very positive (but what would you expect!).I emailed and they have a distributor in Oz but not in NZ.Don't know if I'll be able to get the Celebes VCO while I'm there, might have to take a jar in the suitcase. And would be good to have to compare the 2. Will let you know what I think of it.