Afternoon tea for 20-50.

duckmoon, Dec 19, 1:22am
Right. I have invited the people from much church to afternoon tea in the middle of January.

I haven't put an RSVP on it. So there might be 20 or there might be 50.

I will be a church in the morning, so it needs to be prepared in advance ( Friday would be best).

And I don't want to freeze it before the event, in case, I have lots and lots left over, and need to freeze it for later.
I need something which I can make in advance. And isn't too difficult to make.

Ideas please

duckmoon, Dec 19, 1:28am
Also, mainly chinese folks, so plainer food, rather than rich food.

My first thought was chocolate carmel slice, but I think it is too rich for this group

ruby2shoes, Dec 19, 1:31am
I'm more of a savoury type of person than cakes. So I wouldnt be able to help you.Unless you did eggy things in bread cases in muffin tins!

duckmoon, Dec 19, 1:42am
I have sweet tooth, so often don't think about savoury.

Could do some mini pies.
Asparagus rolls could be made between church and afternoon tea

sarahb5, Dec 19, 2:01am
I was going to be totally facetious and suggest something with rice from your rice cooker that you could keep warm for 12 hours .

Actually what about something totally retro - vol au vents!Or blini with smoked salmon and cream cheese although that might not work if you have to freeze them.Filled mini croissant!Nigella's chocolate fudge is very yummy and you can serve it straight from the freezer so you'd only need to get as much out as you're going to use - I put pistachios and cranberries in mine so that it looked christmassy.

neon2k, Dec 19, 7:20am
can you really go past sausage rolls!

duckmoon, Dec 19, 8:17am
I agree. Who doesn't like a sausage roll.

Can you cook them fromfrozen. Or do you need to defrost, the cook!

sarahb5, Dec 19, 8:22am
My boys do although if you get the long frozen ones (apparently Pams are the best) you need to defrost them enough to cut them up

neon2k, Dec 19, 8:23am
you can cook from frozen just keep a careful eye on them in the oven as you want the meat cooked and the pastry a nice golden colour.

ps. The best sausage rolls are the ones you make yourself.Add fresh herbs to the meat and make your own pastry = which is actually very easy if you have a food processor.

auntlb, Dec 19, 8:46am
If you have leftover sausage rolls they can be frozen after being cooked