Work BBQ ideas

raewyn64, Dec 13, 11:33pm
Hi all
I am catering for a work BBQ next week - a 3.30pm one before they go off for drinks. There are about 25 of us and the majority are males who are mechanics - so they don't get excited about salads etc lol.
When we do lunch time bbq's it is burger buns, meat patties, eggs, bacon and sauce and that is about it.
But with this one being a Christmas one I want to flash it up a bit. I am going to get some icecream and strawberries but am drawing a blank on what else I could do on the BBQ that is a bit more "fancy" than normal - but will still appeal to mechanics.
Thanks for any ideas you might come up with.

rainrain1, Dec 13, 11:59pm
Paua patties, porterhouse steak, onions, sausages,

245sam, Dec 14, 12:01am
raewyn64, do you have any restrictions re budget!I'm wondering about kebabse.g.the following chicken kebabs which can be prepared ahead and frozen successfully.They're easy to make, quick to cook and nice served with a variety of sauces e.g. the Wattie's Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry, Spiced Apricot, Java Satay or any other sauce of choice.

LEMON-LIME CHICKEN
12 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
2 cups lemon-lime flavoured carbonated beverage
1 cup each ofsoy sauceandvegetable oil
1½ tsp garlic powder

In a medium bowl combine the lemon-lime beverage, soy sauce, oil and garlic powder.Stir thoroughly, then put the marinade mixture and the chicken together in a plastic container and marinate in the refrigerator for 6-9 hours (12-18 hours if using bone-in chicken).
Thread the marinated chicken on to skewers and refrigerate (or freeze) until needed.
Barbecue slowly - don't overcook.Turn frequently, basting with the marinade with at each turn.Cook until the meat is no longer pink in the centre and the juices run clear.Discard any remaining marinade after use.
Serves 6.
Note:The recipe can easily be doubled, trebled or whatever according to whatever is required.

Hope that helps.:-))

pickles7, Dec 14, 12:36am
ice cream and strawberries , require are-think. not great to go drinking on.
All they will want is "food" then drinks.
I would buy a whole rump , a bag of potatoes, mashed or whole , a slaw , maybe a few onions and tomato slices. bread and butter.
No problems with cooking steak, if a bit underdone, no one will care.

valentino, Dec 14, 1:00am
What sort of BBQ is it, if hooded then do a Christmas Ham with a variety of buns and dressings plus some sliced tomatoes, bit of lettuce etc (the trimmings to go in the buns. To have big types of buns as well.

The ham could be on a proper metal Ham stand in the nmiddle of the BBQ and allow them to slice whatever to suit. Oh, only need a Half Ham and well dressed for the ocassion.

Cheers.

raewyn64, Dec 14, 1:01am
thanks so much everyone will have a toss around with all the ideas

babytears, Dec 14, 1:13am
Smoked salmon in wee tin foil parcels - just cook them enough to heat through. what about lamb or chicken kebabs too

valentino, Dec 14, 1:16am
If a basic normal BBQ, cut a small or Half Ham into ideal medium thick slices and grill each side to suit, also can have Pineapple Rings (fresh or ex canned) slightly grilled plus above trimmings.

A slice of cheese also is popular.

raewyn64, Dec 14, 1:32am
hi again and thanks for more ideas.
Sorry for the confusion - yes it is just a standard BBQ - not one with the big round lid - just a flat one.

asue, Dec 14, 2:07am
Chunky ham steaks, vension sausages, meat patties, garlic steaks; chops; lots of onions too - as long as there is plenty for everyone it will be enjoyable.

duckmoon, Dec 14, 6:31am
Butterfly leg of lamb.get the butcher to butterfly it for you.

Then slice it, into little steaks. Something flasher than sausages, but cheaper than steak