Poached Chicken Breasts

nfh1, Nov 29, 4:54am
What should I put in with them and how long would they take do you think!Have not poached chicken before and thought I would do something different.They are about 200 grams each.Thanks.

kassie48, Nov 29, 6:12am
Never heard of this method of cooking. Maybe add mushrooms, peppers

babytears, Nov 29, 6:20am
You can poach in chicken stock if you want - not Maggi! So in a pan add the stock and simmer. the stock doesn't have to completely cover the chicken, you can turn the chicken to fully cook, don't over cook though. You can eat with a nice creamy sauce and a side of beans and carrots

bcnd, Nov 29, 6:41am
I poach mine & then shred it for curry chicken yummo

245sam, Nov 29, 6:53am
nfh1, here's a couple of recipe options that you might like to try - we enjoy them both .

POACHED CHICKEN
2 cups water OR 1 cup each of water and white wine
a little salt
peppercorns
1 small bay leaf
sprig of tarragon (or use dried tarragon if fresh is not available)
1 small onion, sliced
500g chicken breast fillets

Bring all the ingredients, except the chicken, to the boil, then add the chicken.Cover, reduce the heat and poach for 8 minutes.Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely in the stock; then cut into strips or slices.

POACHED CHICKEN
½ cup each ofsoy sauceandorange juice
1½ cups water
3 x 2∙5cm thick slices fresh ginger, mashed or chopped
½ tsp 5-spice powder
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Bring all the liquids and spices to a boil.Reduce to a simmer and add the whole chicken breasts. Cover the pot and simmer very low for 2 minutes, then turn the chicken over and simmer for 2 minutes.Cool the chicken in the liquid.When cool, remove and slice the chicken diagonally.If not needed until the next day the chicken can be left in the broth and refrigerated.
Can be used as sandwich/panini fillings and is very moist and tasty.

Hope that helps.:-))

fisher, Nov 29, 7:45am
Poached Chicken Breasts
Filling:
1/2 chicken breast.100ml cream.nutmeg .salt.chives.white pepper.choice of chervil ~ tarragon ~ oregano . 1 large brown mushroom.
Slice the brown mushroom finely and cook in a little olive oil. Finely slice the chives and herb of your choice.
Place all of the ingredients into a blender and whiz up .Scoop out and place into a Zip bag, snip a corner end off to create a piping bag.
Method:
Butterfly a chicken breast for each person and pipe in the filling mixture.Don't overfillFold the breast over to ensure no filling showing.
Lay out cling wrap and place each breast in and add a little salt and white pepper over the top.
Carefully roll 5 times tucking in ends to eventually make a tidy "sealed" sausage shape and knot each end
Place in med hot (not boiling) stock for exactly 7 mins to poach. Snip end, press out and cut in half on the diagonal to Serve.

nfh1, Nov 29, 10:07am
Thank you so much - I did not cook them as someone rang up and gave us tickets to the Hayley Westenra concert in Napier - this was at 6.40 pm, just as I was going to do dinner!Concert started at 7.30 and we live about 25 minutes from Napier.

Concert was excellent and thanks to all for the recipes - guess what is for dinner tomorrow night!

macwood2, Nov 29, 10:17am
fisher should that be cream cheese in your recipe!

fisher, Nov 29, 10:32pm
macwood2. no it is cream. enough to make the mix"pipeable"
Hints:
cook the brown mushroom "dry" for a minute or so before adding a little oil. preferred herb is tarragon. just poach the other half breast with no filling. set aside in fridge and dice up to add to a nice green salad for lunch the next day. I make a bed of rice which has had a tsp of turmeric and peas mixed through for the poached breast to sit on.nice steamedgreen vege to the side.(broccoli asparagus ! ) with a parsley butter sauce drizzled over.

nfh1, Nov 30, 7:18am
thanks 245sam - I did your first recipe and they were lovely, really moist, am going to try the other recipe next time and then work up to fisher's recipe.

Thanks everyone so much for your help.

245sam, Nov 30, 7:26am
you're welcome nfh1 - I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the chicken cooked that way.The recipe came from a magazine a good number of years ago and the poached chicken was actually part of the filling for sandwiches along with (I think) cucumber + ! - we've never had it that way but we do enjoy it either as is or in salad wraps (tortilla, hummus, lettuce, etc.).
The flavouring in the second recipe is stronger and one that we particularly enjoy - for the two of us I often don't use the water and just halve (or thereabouts) all the other ingredients.:-))

nfh1, Nov 30, 7:31am
We had them with pasta salad and green salad.I did another couple to use for lunch tomorrow, it was so quick.I really fancy the second recipe but did not have soy sauce or ginger and thought they would be essential ingredients!Thanks again.