2 chicken breasts 2 feed a fam of 4 any ideas?

Page 1 / 2
greertontga, Apr 25, 8:38pm
Hi just checked the freezer ive got 2 bonless chicken breasts to feed a family of four any ideas please of what to make for dinner. Ive got mushrooms silverbeet potatoes and kumara would really appreciate it

rema, Apr 25, 8:49pm
How about a lovely chicken and leek pie?

unknowndisorder, Apr 25, 8:56pm
In a Foodtown/Countdown/Woolworths flyer a month or so back, was a simple chicken parmagiana recipe.
Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts
oil for frying
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 bunch spinach, trimmed, washed and roughly chopped (thinking you could use your silverbeet here)
1 cup grated cheddar
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1x 700g bottle pasta sauce (traditional)
1/4 water (or red wine)
salt & pepper
Method:
cut chicken breasts in half across ways, season with salt & pepper. Lightly brown on both sides in frying pan with a little oil & set aside
In the same pan, add garlic & saute for oone minute, then add sspinach & 1/4t salt & cook until spinach leaves wilt. Remove from heat & set aside.
Place browned chicken breasts in a lightly oiled shallow roasting or baking dish. Divide spinach/silverbeet into 4 & mound onto each of the breasts.
Carefully cover spinach/silverbeet with grated cheese & then parmesan.
Pour pasta sauce & water around the chicken.
Place in an oven preheated to 200C and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

I'm thinking you could put your mushrooms & spuds in as well.
We usually eat the chicken breasts between 2 of us, but I find it too much for me (hubby is piggy).

Otherwise a stir fry :)

greertontga, Apr 25, 8:59pm
thank you so much, i have most of those ingredients so ill give it a go thanks again

greertontga, Apr 25, 9:01pm
as for the chicken leek pie do you have a recipe rema could i use something other than leeks i dont have any lol

maxwell.inc, Apr 25, 9:05pm
Stir fry. . cut the chook thin, heaps of vegies to bulk it out. . a nice sauce. . and over rice if you like it.

lizab, Apr 25, 9:28pm
Sophie Gray of Destitute Gourmet is your friend for making meat go a long way! ! Check out her website, it's great! ! http://www.destitutegourmet.com/

ratboy2013, Apr 26, 1:01am
chunky chicken soup

indigojo, Apr 26, 3:08am
I would have thought that 2 chicken breasts would be a good amount for a family of four (unless you go to Lone Star and one of their dishes is 2 chicken breasts for ONE person! ! ! ).

Anyways, I do sweet & sour chicken, lemon (or orange) chicken with chicken breasts. Or this recipe (which I tend to half, or freeze half of) from a dutch friend...

Pilaf

2 tbspOlive Oil
1 kg, slicedOnions
1kg, slicedBoneless Chicken
1 tspSambal (chopped chilies)
4 tbspSoy Sauce
2 clovesGarlic
300gTomato Paste
2 cansPeaches (variation: 1 can each, peaches and apricots)

Fry the onions olive oil until browned. Add the chicken and cook until browned.
Add sambal, soy sauce, garlic and tomato paste and simmer for 45 minutes.
Chop the peaches smaller and add as well as half of the juice.
Stir and simmer for another 45 minutes.
Serve over rice/mashed potatoes, with/without salad
Variation: Halve the amount and cooking time for a smaller meal
Source:North Eastern Dutch Dish, serves 6-8.

ry5, Apr 26, 4:16am
chicken fried rice, chicken pie, chicken curry with rice, stuff the breasts and roast them then slice. Possibilities are endless!

tiogapass, Apr 26, 4:29am
chicken schnitzell

motorbo, Apr 26, 4:33am
a pasta dish will make it go further, or a stirfry, it really depends what you got, make a casserole type dish and top with scone/dumpling topper will help it go further.

theanimal1, Apr 26, 4:57am
Chicken Filo Parcels with Mint Yogurt

Mixture will make 6 medium sized filos or 4 large ones.

* 500grms chicken (Diced)
* 2 cloves of garlic
* 150grms melted butter
* 1sml red onion
* 1 large carrot
* 1 red pepper
* 1 green pepper
* 1 courgette
* 1 box of filo pastry
* 1 large mixing bowl
* Large frying pan
* Baking tray
* Butter/pastry brush
* 290grm jar of Mint jelly
* 600grm Plain unsweetened yogurt

Method
If you pre prepare all the ingredients like I do it will make it easier Remember to pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.

1st place half the yogurt into a bowl, add 3 dessert spoons of jelly and mix with a whisk if you have one, or a spoon. Leave to sit in the fridge (add more or less mint to taste).

Cut the chicken into thin strips or cubes and set aside.

Finely slice the Carrot and courgettes into long thin strips (julienne) they can be cut into 3rds first, then sliced into strips from there, cut the peppers into quarters and thinly slice the same as the carrots and courgettes. Dice the onion and garlic as thinly as possible.

Into a frying pan lightly sauté the onion and Garlic, then add all the other vegetables - it will be like stir frying, and we want the mixture to be just under-done (al dente). Now put these into a bowl and use the same pan to quick fry the chicken, make sure that the pan is smoking hot (literally smoking) before you put the chicken in. Only a couple of minutes.

This will help seal in all the flavours from the chicken, remove from the pan just before the chicken is done (as it will cook in the oven later) and add to the bowl with the vegetables in.

Open the filo pastry and lay one sheet on a clean DRY bench or board, brush with melted butter then add another sheet as evenly as possible on top, brush again with butter and do this to 3 sheets. Place the filling about 5cms from the nearest end to you width ways leaving room on either end so that you can fold the ends in later (The amount of filling is up to you, the less you put in the smaller the filo parcel and the more you put in the bigger).

Fold the pastry over the mixture so that it is fully incased, then fold the ends over towards the middle and continue to roll to the end, before all the filo is used up brush melted butter so that the end will stick and roll on top to seal.

Do this process until you have used all the mixture or have enough parcels, 1 box of filo will be plenty for a med to large family and you can freeze the left over pastry when not in use. Keep pastry cool or lightly damp while youre preparing these, otherwise it will dry out and will be useless.

Place the rolled filo onto a greased oven tray and place in the oven for 15- 20mins or until golden on top.

Cut filo's in half Serve with a side salad or baby potatoes and drizzle the mint yogurt over the top or serve on the side.

karenz, Apr 26, 5:04am
If you have some bacon and a tin of tomatoes I would cut up the chicken breasts and brown, then cut the bacon up and brown, remove the water if the bacon has a high water content, then cook onions and garlic, put everything back into the frypan with chopped mushrooms and a tin of tomatoes, then shred the silverbeet and add that towards the end until it just wilts through. Season and add herbs (oregano and/or basil are good) I would make a potato and kumera bake to go with it, and/or pasta.

duckmoon, Apr 26, 8:01am
defrost, slice and use in a stir fry

toadfish, Apr 26, 6:30pm
Probably too late but this is our favourite and you can use as much or as little chicken as you want. (from the healthy food Guide)

Peanut chicken and rice

Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil,
2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced ,
1 onion, chopped ,
3 cloves garlic, crushed ,
400g can chopped tomatoes ,
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter ,
1 tablespoon curry powder ,
3 cups chicken stock ,
1 1/2 cups basmati or jasmine rice ,
1 large pinch thyme ,
1/2 teaspoon salt ,

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Cook the chicken slices until sealed (slightly brown) then set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook till soft. Return the chicken to the pan and mix in the tomatoes, peanut butter, curry powder and thyme and mix well to disperse the peanut butter through the mixture.

Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. When the mixture is boiling stir in the salt and rice. Return the mixture to the boil then cover and reduce the heat. Cook for 20 minutes on low, then check to see if all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Serve with a salad or green vegetables.

toadfish, Apr 26, 6:40pm
Destitute Gourmet Chicken Nuggets -

1 chicken breast (or 170g chicken mince)
1 slice bread(Pref wholegrain)
1 small onion chopped finely,
1/8tsp chicken stock powder or chicken seasoning,
salt& pepper,
1 potato scrubbed not peeled,
1 egg yolk,
1 extra egg beaten,
flour and breadcrumbs for coating,
oil or cooking spray.

Mince chicken in food processor/Place minced chicken in clean bowl. crumble bread slice into fine crumbs and add to chicken mince along with onion, stock powder and s&p. Grate potato, skin and all, and add to the chicken mix along with egg yolk, which helps bind mix. Shape into 16-18nuggets or 8 burger patties. Coat the nuggests or patties in flour, dip into beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. shallow-fry in oil or spray with cooking spray and grill or bake until golden. enjoy! :-)

lindylambchops1, Jan 23, 6:10am
I have tried this recipe & have made it over & over again.It is a great hit with my family.I certainly recommend it.Quick & easy.One pot dish.Very tasty.Thanks for sharing.

rema, Apr 25, 8:49pm
How about a lovely chicken and leek pie!

unknowndisorder, Apr 25, 8:56pm
In a Foodtown/Countdown/Woolworths flyer a month or so back, was a simple chicken parmagiana recipe.
Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts
oil for frying
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 bunch spinach, trimmed, washed and roughly chopped (thinking you could use your silverbeet here)
1 cup grated cheddar
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1x 700g bottle pasta sauce (traditional)
1/4 water (or red wine)
salt & pepper
Method:
cut chicken breasts in half across ways, season with salt & pepper. Lightly brown on both sides in frying pan with a little oil & set aside
In the same pan, add garlic & saute for oone minute, then add sspinach & 1/4t salt & cook until spinach leaves wilt. Remove from heat & set aside.
Place browned chicken breasts in a lightly oiled shallow roasting or baking dish. Divide spinach/silverbeet into 4 & mound onto each of the breasts.
Carefully cover spinach/silverbeet with grated cheese & then parmesan.
Pour pasta sauce & water around the chicken.
Place in an oven preheated to 200C and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

I'm thinking you could put your mushrooms & spuds in as well.
We usually eat the chicken breasts between 2 of us, but I find it too much for me (hubby is piggy).

Otherwise a stir fry :)

maxwell.inc, Apr 25, 9:05pm
Stir fry. cut the chook thin, heaps of vegies to bulk it out. a nice sauce. and over rice if you like it.

lizab, Apr 25, 9:28pm
Sophie Gray of Destitute Gourmet is your friend for making meat go a long way! Check out her website, it's great! http://www.destitutegourmet.com/

indigojo, Apr 26, 3:08am
I would have thought that 2 chicken breasts would be a good amount for a family of four (unless you go to Lone Star and one of their dishes is 2 chicken breasts for ONE person!).

Anyways, I do sweet & sour chicken, lemon (or orange) chicken with chicken breasts. Or this recipe (which I tend to half, or freeze half of) from a dutch friend.

Pilaf

2 tbspOlive Oil
1 kg, slicedOnions
1kg, slicedBoneless Chicken
1 tspSambal (chopped chilies)
4 tbspSoy Sauce
2 clovesGarlic
300gTomato Paste
2 cansPeaches (variation: 1 can each, peaches and apricots)

Fry the onions olive oil until browned.Add the chicken and cook until browned.
Add sambal, soy sauce, garlic and tomato paste and simmer for 45 minutes.
Chop the peaches smaller and add as well as half of the juice.
Stir and simmer for another 45 minutes.
Serve over rice/mashed potatoes, with/without salad
Variation: Halve the amount and cooking time for a smaller meal
Source:North Eastern Dutch Dish, serves 6-8.

ry5, Apr 26, 4:16am
chicken fried rice, chicken pie, chicken curry with rice, stuff the breasts and roast them then slice. Possibilities are endless!

motorbo, Apr 26, 4:33am
a pasta dish will make it go further, or a stirfry, it really depends what you got, make a casserole type dish and top with scone/dumpling topper will help it go further.