Damn weevils. Fed up with new flour having them

mike92, Nov 19, 3:13am
Frankly, I think it's about time that the manufacturers and supermarkets start making an effort to get on top of this problem as the bugs are coming from further up the chain than us consumers. Clean and disinfect the shelves etc.

I have cleaned my pantry and thrown out so much, then replaced stuff. Usually it's all good for a couple of months, and then I buy a new packet of flour or something, and bam, new infestation. If only you could lift the packet corners at the supermarket to check it's all ok before buyiing.

ace441, Nov 19, 4:08am
You can do a couple of things: Freeze the new flour. As soon as you bring flour home, seal it inside a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for 96 hours (four days). Remove and store as usual. The freezing process will kill off any eggs and weevils already present in the flour. Also, put a dried bay leaf in each container or bag of stored flour. This will discourage weevil infestation. You can also put bay leaves on the shelves to discourage.

mike92, Nov 19, 4:28am
Thanks so much.will be doing that from now on.

But I still think further along the chain needs to be doing more to stop things before it hits my shelves.

lilyfield, Nov 19, 5:26am
50 years of having my own kitchen- yet to see a weevil.And I buy bulk and have flour sitting around for 6 month and longer. Luck!

pickles7, Nov 19, 5:28am
I would look at where you are buying your flour. Do they have a small turnover. I cannot say I have ever had weevils in anything. I have always rotated everything in my pantry

uli, Nov 19, 5:33am
What sort of animals are we talking about!
Little black things with long noses - which are weevils.
Or flying moths with wriggling caterpillars!
Or what!

eastie3, Nov 19, 6:46am
Casting no aspersions on other posters,but I have never had a problem with weevils.Ants however.is a whole other problem.

kay141, Nov 19, 6:59am
I never get ants either. Just daddy-long-legs and spiders making webs everywhere. They can make them across the door overnight.

wasgonna, Nov 19, 7:35am
All those who say "never had that" have you had a close look at your rolled oats lately. Mine were crawling.

clonzy1, Nov 19, 8:12am
Yep - those rolled oats!We now always freeze them for a few days before they go into the cupboard.

mike92, Nov 19, 8:15am
I shop around. Usually Countdown though, but different stores around town. I buy homebrand, champion etc.

gardie, Nov 19, 4:40pm
I did find some teensy tiny colourless insects in my bread seed mix that had been sitting around for a while.I just cooked them up into the bread - as gross as that sounds.Even I ate it with no side effects and was none the wiser.I figured that if they had been eating the seeds, then they would have tasted like the seeds!Weevils- sift them out.Apparently they used to do that in the old days.Haven't had them for many years - flour doesn't last that long now.I always buy 5kg bags and haven't had an issue.

lythande1, Nov 19, 7:05pm
Haha, you know how many insects there are in the world! It impossible to keep all the bugs out, and in any case why blame the manufacturer, some insect eggs are so small, you'd never see them.
Keep your stuff in containers, not int the original packets.
If you do find bugs, stop fussing, sieve it. Ridiculous to fuss about a few bugs and throw stuff out.